Galaxy Nexus 4.2 rollout

Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
Forum Member
..... some users apparently receiving updates already ....

nice :cool:

waiting for the rooted ROMs to appear personally - hopefully later on today :D

makes me so glad i went down the Nexus route .....

Comments

• lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing on the two i access.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    Nothing on the two i access.

It will be a slow rollout .... maybe a few days for the official OTA updates to hit the UK.

XDA is your friend :)
    Forum Member
    4.2 seems to be a bigger update than i thought.

New lockscreen (with added functionality)
    Enhanced notifications (now 1 or 2 finger drags bring up different options)
    New keyboard (with swipe/slide)
    whole new camera app - the full panoramic mode is very impressive !
    New gallery app - including instagram type filters and editing
    Gmail app updates
    New alarm clock
    Daydream - basically screensaver

and thats what ive found so far .... anyone found any other goodies ?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    changes from wikipedia:

Photo Sphere panorama photos
    Keyboard with gesture typing
    Lockscreen improvements, including widget support and the ability to swipe directly to camera
    Notification power controls
    "Daydream" screensaver, showing information when idle or docked
    Multiple user accounts (tablets only)
    Support for wireless display (Miracast)
    Accessibility improvements: triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output and Gesture Mode navigation for blind users
    New clock app with built-in world clock, stop watch and timer
    All devices now use the same interface layout, adapted from phones on 4.1 for smaller tablets (with centered software buttons, the system bar at the top of the screen, and a similar home screen), regardless of screen size
    Increased number of extended notifications and Actionable Notifications for more apps, allowing the response to certain notifications within the notification bar and without launching the app directly
    SELinux
    Always-on VPN
    Premium SMS confirmation
    Phone-like launcher for small tablets in Android 4.1 extended to larger tablets, as seen with the Nexus 10
  • lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the photosphere thing?
    Forum Member

it's like a photo panorama app where lots of photos are stitched together to form a big one. but unlike the others it's a full 3D sphere, rather than just in the horizontal plane.

the suggestion is that at some point you'll be able to add them to street view.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's like a photo panorama app where lots of photos are stitched together to form a big one. but unlike the others it's a full 3D sphere, rather than just in the horizontal plane.

the suggestion is that at some point you'll be able to add them to street view.

tried this out a couple of times .... its very good ... not perfect but impressive ..... :)
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    tried this out a couple of times .... its very good ... not perfect but impressive ..... :)

normally the problem with these things is that people move the phone.

like for example they hold the phone out in front of them and spin their body. which actually moves the camera. most noticeable when you are dealing with scenes that have foreground objects.

to do it properly you need to have the actual phone in exactly the same place.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    normally the problem with these things is that people move the phone.

like for example they hold the phone out in front of them and spin their body. which actually moves the camera. most noticeable when you are dealing with scenes that have foreground objects.

to do it properly you need to have the actual phone in exactly the same place.

Its pretty close to be honest. much better than i expected it to be :)
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

they have a viewer integrated on Google+. AFAIK, the output is a regular jpg, but embedded is some neato stuff that makes it work like a Streetview picture when viewed with supported software.

e.g.
    https://plus.google.com/110023707389740934545/posts/bCtd4urVNX2
    Forum Member

oh "Where".

in the camera app choose the menu under the camera icon. its the top option.....
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried clearing Google Services Framework a few times on my stock tackju and no luck. This worked for 4.1.2. I will tru again later.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nexus 7 updated last night.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From looking at xda-developers, it appears that the update is currently rolling out for GN's running the Takju (bought from Google Play, with Google Wallet built in) version, but not Yakju (bought from anywhere else). Certainly true here - a colleague's one that he got from Google updated on Tuesday evening, I'm still waiting....
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - I meant yakju. I always get that wrong.
    Forum Member
    I'm rooted and flashed the bigxie ROM on xda. Its basically pre-rooted stock in a flash able zip form.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine updated last night after clearing Google Services Framework. It works really well and the new features are great.
  • SonyJunkieSonyJunkie Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Mine updated last night after clearing Google Services Framework. It works really well and the new features are great.

I can't get mine to update using this trick!! :mad:

Looks like I'll just have to wait until Google feel I'm ready!!