Options

Do teachers actually teach these days?

Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
Forum Member
When the schools are actually in, which is around 4 weeks a year, do they actually still teach kids or just nit pick stupid things like this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3519786/Boy-13-expelled-for-moustache.html

How are they meant to learn the values of everyone being an individual?

Comments

• Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm out.
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you watched Waterloo Road recently, I dont think half an hours teaching a week goes on there

tuts at broken britain :D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    What's this got to do with teachers? They don't make policy decisions.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    A good teacher would say "So and so is a great student, if you expel him because of this I'm walking and going straight to the press"
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think they do some teaching when they're actually in school. :rolleyes: The number of holidays they get is a disgrace.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    When quizzed in 2005,all they did at 14 was colouring in.

American schools have some wonderful classes. I got to look at a friend's grandson's lesson eight and the choices were money management, girl power, animal husbandry and environmentalism.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think they do some teaching when they're actually in school. :rolleyes: The number of holidays they get is a disgrace.

It's great. I LOVE being a teacher! :D
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    What's this got to do with teachers? They don't make policy decisions.

Yes they do. The headteacher makes the rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    It's great. I LOVE being a teacher! :D

Bet you do. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    When the schools are actually in, which is around 4 weeks a year, do they actually still teach kids or just nit pick stupid things like this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3519786/Boy-13-expelled-for-moustache.html

How are they meant to learn the values of everyone being an individual?

Yes, teachers do teach. Quite a lot.

The case in question is confusing: the boy in question cannot shave because of a skin condition, yet he appears to have shaved his beard area quite effectively. There is also the option of other hair-removal methods, which can help in situations like this.

I don't think that it was an exclusion-rating offence, but we don't know what else went on.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Yes, teachers do teach. Quite a lot.

The case in question is confusing: the boy in question cannot shave because of a skin condition, yet he appears to have shaved his beard area quite effectively. There is also the option of other hair-removal methods, which can help in situations like this.

I don't think that it was an exclusion-rating offence, but we don't know what else went on.

He seemed excessively hairy at 13. At that age I couldn't grow anything that mature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member

If you think its all about the holidays then there is nothing stopping you from becoming a teacher and see what its all about. Low pay and can be very stressful to start with...fellow teachers back me up here as you're all on easter break at the moment :-)
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gadget Guy wrote: »
    If you think its all about the holidays then there is nothing stopping you from becoming a teacher and see what its all about. Low pay and can be very stressful to start with...fellow teachers back me up here as you're all on easter break at the moment :-)

No - just enjoy your holiday! It's really not worth it. You'll never change anyone's mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gadget Guy wrote: »

Low pay? Don't they get well over 25 grand? That's not low!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - just enjoy your holiday! It's really not worth it. You'll never change anyone's mind.

That's right you won't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Low pay? Don't they get well over 25 grand? That's not low!

No and what does that equate to compared to a typical 9-5 job and thats not including the holidays and never mind the morning and afternoon breaks. How many actual hours a day do teachers spend in class teaching?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charcole can always be relied upon for a good troll thread. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catkate10 wrote: »
    No and what does that equate to compared to a typical 9-5 job and thats not including the holidays and never mind the morning and afternoon breaks. How many actual hours a day do teachers spend in class teaching?

About five and a half I reckon. For the sake of arguments let's not count breaks as they may be on playground duty. :D So 9-12 and 1 to 3.30 say. Some schools finish at 3.15 and one near here at 3.45.
  • Options
    widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This from the person who's unemployed and spends all their time posting on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    This from the person who's unemployed and spends all their time posting on DS.

That's irrelevant to the subject being discussed and hence OFF-TOPIC.
  • Options
    miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right you won't.

Therefore, by your own standards Crazychris, you have nothing further to add to the discussion, do you.

If you think being a teacher is a doddle and easy money, you're not crazy, but there is another word for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's irrelevant to the subject being discussed and hence OFF-TOPIC.

Actually it's quite on topic as it makes your points moot.

But I think alot of people gloss over any points you make usually anyhow. :)
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    About five and a half I reckon. For the sake of arguments let's not count breaks as they may be on playground duty. :D So 9-12 and 1 to 3.30 say. Some schools finish at 3.15 and one near here at 3.45.

Don´t forget to add in the time assigned to lesson planning, homework marking, exam prep, detention duty, report writing, pastoral care, meetings, Health and safety, organization of extra curricular activities, extra tutorials, lesson preparations etc and teachers do a hell of a lot more work than you dream of doing
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member

My mothers a teacher so I can state first hand how many hour she works during term time and how many hours she puts in during the holidays. You're talking rubbish.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    If being a teacher was that easy, everyone would be queueing up to train.

I wouldn't do it.