Options

chrome book versus net book !!

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
HI can thinking of buying something portable just for everyday use, uploading music, playing games. and just browsing the internet... with this in mind, which one of these two should i buy ?? CHROME BOOK, or NET-BOOK.. i think net book you cannot upload/download music files. thanks..

Comments

• Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A netbook can upload/download music, and do basically everything a normal laptops can, it's just that they are a lot slower, smaller, cheaper and lighter.

A Chromebook MUST be connected to the Internet for it to work.

So, a netbook would probably be best for you. Or, you could look at the 13" laptop range, allowing more power yet still lighter for portability.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Not quite true it seems, see here:
    http://www.zdnet.com/yes-you-can-use-the-new-chromebook-offline-7000006103
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    A netbook can upload/download music, and do basically everything a normal laptops can, it's just that they are a lot slower, smaller, cheaper and lighter.

So, a netbook would probably be best for you. Or, you could look at the 13" laptop range, allowing more power yet still lighter for portability.

thanks on them points.. worth considering..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    playing games.

This might be a bit of a hindrance on the chromebook, really depends what type of games you mean though. Both will be fine with webgames, but I haven't heard much on how the Google OS supports gaming. Might be similar to how macs used to be before companies started porting to Mac OS.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chromebooks are designed to do everything through the browser.

They don't run windows and IMO shouldn't be considered like normal laptops because they are designed to run web apps.

A netbook (a windows or linux one anyway) is designed to be like a regular laptop just a lot smaller and cheaper (and cheaper has side of effect of poorer build quality, slower components etc).

Does price matter to you significantly? Because if it doesn't then a Windows laptop is the way to go. I think the Lenovo Yoga 11S (not out until later this year) will be the perfect netbook - long battery life, flexible between laptop and tablet, runs full Windows 8, touchscreen, performance of Intel Atom (Bay Trail).