Options

Intensive driving course next week and Driving test on 16th Jan - Any tips??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Hi All

i have done 22 lessons and next week im doing an intensive course from Mon - Fri and then the following Monday 16th i sit my test.

does anyone have any tips? i know all the basics, just really need to build on my confidence on the road and ill be fine. not sure what to expect in the driving test either....

:)

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope you're having 1 to 1 driving lessons as a lot of the intensive courses do shared lessons and they can be a bit pants depending on who you're sharing with!

Also, something they might not have made clear: If the instructor doesn't think you're up to it at the end of the week you may very well not be put forward for the test, even though you've paid. Might be worth pushing to take it still, though, for the experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    yea its 1 to 1.

i think ill definitely be ready after another 35 hours of driving next week. just dont know what to expect with the test.

is it worthwhile learning how to change oil and that? do they ask those kind of questions? x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea its 1 to 1.

i think ill definitely be ready after another 35 hours of driving next week. just dont know what to expect with the test.

is it worthwhile learning how to change oil and that? do they ask those kind of questions? x

Person I shared with had been having lessons for 6 years and still wasn't ready for the test :D

Anyway, no you don't need to know how to change the oil.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea its 1 to 1.

Don't know about the current test, but in 2007 we had to know the basics (e.g. checking oil levels, where the battery was, tyre pressures and tred depth, where to put the coolant) Best thing to do is ask the instructor!

They will not ask you to change a tyre or change the oil. If they do, you can reply 'call the breakdown service' - it is an acceptable answer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Don't know about the current test, but in 2007 we had to know the basics (e.g. checking oil levels, where the battery was, tyre pressures and tred depth, where to put the coolant) Best thing to do is ask the instructor!

They will not ask you to change a tyre or change the oil. If they do, you can reply 'call the breakdown service' - it is an acceptable answer!

Blimey, I stand corrected. I passed in 2003 and there was nothing like that on my test. Tyre pressures are different per car, though, so did you have to know the correct pressure for the car you were in?
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Blimey, I stand corrected. I passed in 2003 and there was nothing like that on my test. Tyre pressures are different per car, though, so did you have to know the correct pressure for the car you were in?

No you just have to say something like use a reliable gauge while the tyres are cold and refer to the car's user manual - that type of thing (from memory).
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

No. The tyre pressure question would be something like "TELL to me how you would go about checking your tyre pressures".

You could answer by saying, look up the required pressures in the manufacturers handbook, put a pressure gauge/pump on each valve and then adjust if necessary.

Or the question might just be "TELL me how you would know what the correct tyre pressures should be" in which case you would just say you would consult the hand book.

On things like oil they may say "TELL me how you would go about checking the oil levels" and you would just go through the steps.

They may ask you to SHOW them where the dipstick is located. In which case you would just point it out under the bonnet but you are not required to remove it.

Note the show and tells. If the question starts with tell, then you simply explain the procedure. If they start with a show, they want a demo.
  • Options
    spiderbootsspiderboots Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Good luck with your test!

I did an intensive course in Blackpool in October 2011 and passed, like you I'd had a many lessons before but the intensive course was a spur of the moment decision as I really needed to pass.
    I did my lessons with another person which was really scary as she was an awful driver.. my finger nail marks are probably still in the back seat of that car.

I'm presuming you have already passed your theory test. I think you can get the show me/tell me questions and how to answer them if you google it. I used google street view to revise roundabouts (the reason I failed twice before) and what lanes I needed to be in.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You areallowed to make up to15 minor mistakes,so don't panic if you do something wrong.
    Your instructor should have given you a copy of the questions the examinor can askso that you can revise.
    I passed 2 weeks ago,and I was very nervous.But the examinor expects this.