Options

Lady Gaga tour to make 500 million?

Scarry MaryScarry Mary Posts: 74
Forum Member
I keep reading people saying this. Is she really going to gross that much or is it just wishful thinking?

I still remember all the claims about how BTW would sell 30 million so do know what they can be like with their predictions.

Comments

• Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite possible, but more likely if she extends the tour further than the supposed 110 dates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite possible, but more likely if she extends the tour further than the supposed 110 dates.

But how is it possible? her ticket prices are way too low to gross that sort of figure.

I'm just wondering if I have missed something that validates how she can make 500 milion on 100 dates.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't personally know about 500m, but she's easily on course to beat The Monster Ball's 200m while playing half the amount of shows.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember though, the tickets may be low price but she's more than likely selling out most of them and she's playing 110 dates! Does Gaga get money for the merchandise stuff too? I went to Leona's tour and you could buy key rings and a tour booklet etc, not sure if the artists get money for that.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say she is looking at figures around the $300 - possibly $350 region depending on how her USA tour dates sell. There is no way she will reach $500. She might be able to gross over $400 if she adds a second leg like Madonna often does. It looks like Gaga has a new album out later this year though so I can't see her touring for months at a time again in 2013 as the tour would probably have to be overhauled to add in the new material.

Anyway isn't the reason that The Monster Ball is classed as grossing so highly because they added in the previous Fame Ball gross to its figures? therefore its two tours being classed as one. Could be wrong but I am sure I recall someone on MTV saying that.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could possibly do it. She is likely gonna extend the tour into next year as she is planning a new album for the end of the year and will likely coincide it with that as well.

Oh, were her first two tours classed as one. I never knew that.

Me being nosy but i wonder how much of that 500 million (if she makes it) would she actually get herself. Hmmm
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say she is looking at figures around the $300 - possibly $350 region depending on how her USA tour dates sell. There is no way she will reach $500. She might be able to gross over $400 if she adds a second leg like Madonna often does. It looks like Gaga has a new album out later this year though so I can't see her touring for months at a time again in 2013 as the tour would probably have to be overhauled to add in the new material.

Anyway isn't the reason that The Monster Ball is classed as grossing so highly because they added in the previous Fame Ball gross to its figures? therefore its two tours being classed as one. Could be wrong but I am sure I recall someone on MTV saying that.

I don't think I've ever heard that, and the gross added from the Fame Ball (if it was added) would be minute. But I'll do a search and see what comes up then get back to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500 million seems to high if she's only doing 110 shows 300 to 350 is more likely I guess if she did add a second leg it would be possible to reach 500.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think $500million is a little optimistic, but with the announcement of those 2 huge South African dates and the yet to be announced South and North American dates she'll easily top the Monster Ball.

The Asian leg sold out in its entirety and grossed $43.9million, so I think she'll comfortably gross over $300million on the entire tour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    i think also with the merchandise sale as well, grossing doesn't mean shes going to make 500 million for herself, it means overall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peanuts.

U2 run the world:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member

No. The Fame Ball was a completely separate tour. That would be like adding the grosses of Madge's Reinvention Tour to her Confessions Tour.

The Monster Ball had two distinct legs. The North American leg was initially a really scaled down show, in smaller venues. When the show moved, it was completely revamped into what we later saw everywhere. It's possible they combined the grosses of the two because it was the same tour, even though the show changed.

There's no doubt that the new tour is going to be huge in terms of grosses purely because of the size of the venues she's playing. You have to consider that some of the stadiums are upwards of 70,000 capacity. Assuming she sells that out at $100 a ticket (which is obviously way less than the average ticket price) that's $7 million for one show.

Taking that across 110 shows and considering the merchandise money, I'd say $500 million is almost a certainty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    I'd say $400 million is more likely. She earned $45 million from 16 shows, and there's 110, so she is raking in mega coin.

Depends on how far they're wanting to push the tour, though. They could comfortably add more legs and take it to India (like her manager mentioned), but with new music coming...I don't know if they'll bother.

At this point it'd probably make more sense to hold off, release new music and then properly go for it with the next tour now that they have a better grasp of international demand.

It's definitely impressive how quickly she's become a touring juggernaut. I mean, she's second only to legends after 4 years in the game. To be grossing this kind of money already is crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone have a genuine source to back up what she has suppsed to have already made?

Also South Africa isn't much of a goldmine. She might not even fill out the stadium. This is why very few tour there. During the world cup they were handing out tickets to people on the street for free just to fill the stadium so that it looked like it had sold out when in reality it hadn't. it cost them a fortune to host it but they got no money back in return. Poor sods.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She made 45m by playing smaller arenas. She's moving onto bigger and bigger stadiums as the show progresses.

She did 16 shows for 45m, right?

45 divided by 16, that's roughly how much per show. Multiply that by 110 shows and we have the figure...but that's if it's the same size venues as the asian leg, which it won't be - the crowd of 15k she performed for to kick off the tour is one of a handful of smaller shows, so if we pretend it's arenas, but organise our sums to fit the right ticket sales...

Basically, it all works out (depending on TBA stadiums) like she's doing about 380 arena shows or more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again what is the source for this 45 million figure? anyone got it??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again what is the source for this 45 million figure? anyone got it??

Not sure because this is the first time I've heard about it but I would assume it's from billboards box score that's usually where people get there info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJames99 wrote: »
    Not sure because this is the first time I've heard about it but I would assume it's from billboards box score that's usually where people get there info.

You have a link? I only ask because last week it was being claimed she had made 30 million from these opening dates and now its jumped to 45 million! ;)

I would like to see a genuine source before discussing it.

From the other end of the scale though. I have seen it claimed Madonna has made 40 million from her opening dates too which sounds just as far fetched.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It changed because she did more shows. The tour is still ongoing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still no source though. I guess no one has it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a link? I only ask because last week it was being claimed she had made 30 million from these opening dates and now its jumped to 45 million! ;)

I would like to see a genuine source before discussing it.

From the other end of the scale though. I have seen it claimed Madonna has made 40 million from her opening dates too which sounds just as far fetched.

No sorry it would just a guess not even certain if that is what people are using all I found was the link below that has some of the shows from the Asia leg and there revenue but it doesn't have them all. Best I could manage sorry if your interested you check ATRL they might have a thread about it.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/currentboxscore.jsp

EDIT - Guess this isn't needed now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »

Thanks for that. So she is more like 35 - 8 million at the moment.

Still don't see how she is going to rake in 500 million. People are expecting too much.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. So she is more like 35 - 8 million at the moment.

Still don't see how she is going to rake in 500 million. People are expecting too much.

No probs and if you add all the Gaga figures from those links up her total so far is $43,910,405, so close enough to the 45m people keep saying. Is 500m possible though? I really don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    No probs and if you add all the Gaga figures from those links up her total so far is $43,910,405, so close enough to the 45m people keep saying. Is 500m possible though? I really don't know.

I believe the surplus was people's estimate of merchandise etc. Or maybe they just can't count. :p