Options

Spaintv's Complete Series Watch: NYPD Blue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
Forum Member
Ive set myself to watch NYPD Blue from the start. When the series started I was about 14-15 and at the time wasn't much into cop shows. I however caught the odd episode on TV during its original run - and despite liking them, I found that the channels where the show was aired (UkTV and spanish TV) had all relegated the series to the small hours which made it difficult.

Prior to NYPD Blue Ive enjoyed Hill Street Blues which many describe as its closest cousin, and much further on, a number of cop shows amongst them the stand-out The Shield.

Anyway, in doing a bit of research I not that only seasons 1-4 are availableon DVD and at "other sources". Does anybody know why the DVD releases were stopped?? was it cos they were not selling or a copyright issue as has happened with many long running shows previously?? In a way it works in my favour that they have stopped the releases given that there are 12 seasons (261 episodes) and it will allow me to play catch-up, but anyybody knows if the series will restart its releases?? Or anyone know if the series currently airs on any channel on TV???

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that Fox stopped releasing NYPD Blue because it wasn't selling well enough to justify continuing the release on DVD.

This is my missus' favourite show and she is gutted they stopped the DVD's.

I also seem to recall DMAX started to show the program from the start back in 2008 (nightly I think) but don't believe they showed all 12 seasons. No idea if anyone else has the rights to show it in the UK. I stopped watching it at about season 6 or 7 and would love to see it from start to finish.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny there should be a thread about this today as i was thinking about the show earlier today.

i was also 14\15 when the show first air but lost interest when david caruso quit the show. i hear it was over a contract dispute. i've always felt the networks should've moved heaven and hell to get him on board.

would be nice to revisit this series.
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    funny there should be a thread about this today as i was thinking about the show earlier today.

i was also 14\15 when the show first air but lost interest when david caruso quit the show. i hear it was over a contract dispute. i've always felt the networks should've moved heaven and hell to get him on board.

would be nice to revisit this series.

Caruso was good but the Smits years were way better.;)
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leithlad wrote: »

i rate jimmy smits highly. i think the lose of caruso clouded my perception at the time of where the show was going without him (i.e. cancelled). i'm surprised it survived his departure and went on for as long as it did. which is a testament to smits' abilities in front of a camera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leithlad wrote: »

No way !!, Caruso was the best !
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    No way !!, Caruso was the best !

Both were good and I can't pick a favourite. However Denis Franz was THE main man.

It's a shame that the DVD box sets weren't released as the show was never less than excellent in my opinion. I was really pleased when More 4 started showing the final seasons.

Even the 'ghost' scene was very well done. Could have been cheesy but Franz is such a good actor he pulled it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Both were good and I can't pick a favourite. However Denis Franz was THE main man.

It's a shame that the DVD box sets weren't released as the show was never less than excellent in my opinion. I was really pleased when More 4 started showing the final seasons.

Even the 'ghost' scene was very well done. Could have been cheesy but Franz is such a good actor he pulled it off.

Yes indedd he was, what's he up to these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Franz Pays Tribute, Pokes Fun At NYPD Blue Co-star Smits

There was a brief NYPD Blue reunion of sorts on TV in America on Thursday morning when Dennis Franz phoned in to Access Hollywood Live to chat to former cop partner and show guest Jimmy Smits.

Franz, who played Detective Andy Sipowicz opposite Smits' Detective Bobby Simone on TV for 10 years, couldn't resist poking fun at his pal, insisting he'd always have to run slower in chase scenes on the beloved crime series to make the Latino star look faster.

Thrilled Smits stated, "That's a TV icon, folks, that you're listening to."

Franz also had kind words for his former co-star, insisting he's glued to Smits' new TV drama Outlaw.

He added, "Good luck and we're watching... It's a great show, another great job. You can be proud."

Fighting back tears, Smits thanked the news show for setting up the phonecall surprise: "Wow, that was great." »
  • Options
    chel.gchel.g Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I loved NYPD blues but missed the last series i looked everywhere for it Then last month i found it on http://www.funmoviesite.com/watch-5187-NYPD-Blue they have most of the episodes from all 12 series you may DIVX to see them enjoy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chel.g wrote: »
    I loved NYPD blues but missed the last series i looked everywhere for it Then last month i found it on http://www.funmoviesite.com/watch-5187-NYPD-Blue they have most of the episodes from all 12 series you may DIVX to see them enjoy

Thanks for that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, started to watch NYPD Blue from the start. Just watched the pilot and am very impressed. Pilots are regularly slow and verging on dull due to having to go through initial character and plot constructions / presentations before they can move on, but the NYPD Blue pilot was interesting and I feel it avoided the normal pilot pitfalls.

A few recognisable faces in the pilot alone - David Schwimmer (Friends) , Robert Costanzo (Recognisable for small roles in numerous shows), Daniel Benzali (numerous shows), James McDaniel (Detroit 187). no doubt countless familiar faces will guest / appear in the 10 year run and looking fwd to spotting them!
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    spaintv,

Have you seen Homicide: Life On the Street? It started around the same time as NYPD Blue, and I think it was even better than NYPD Blue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    spaintv,

Have you seen Homicide: Life On the Street? It started around the same time as NYPD Blue, and I think it was even better than NYPD Blue.

Hey MoreTears,

Nope never watched H:LOTS. Know it recently finished a rerun on one of the UK channels (Hallmark now Universal channel I think) and have wanted to check it out, but never watched cos I like to watch a series right from episode 1. Its on my list of Cop shows to watch though. Might give it a try after NYPD Blue. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just finished watching episode 2 and really enjoying this. The Hill Street Blues "feel" is so alive in NYPD Blue! Wasn't expecting the show to look as dated as it does though. The show premiered in 1993 and I can still remember how all shows from the early 90s looked so shiny, new and modern when compared to mid-late 80s shows :D Did we really look / dress like that in the 90s :o:D That said, thinking about it, NYPD Blue is just two years shy of its 20th anniversary and I am feeling really old now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Continuing my watch of season 1 and just finished episode 4. Glad that David Schwimmer's character "4B" has been written out. I was finding his character a tad annoying and repetitive in an otherwise good start to the series. Also, Schwimmer seems to be playing a version of his Friends character Ross in this - limited acting ability or typecast???

Another thing is Im quite surprised with the story of the "murderous police officer". I know The shield later had "criminal" police officers as the lead characters, but so far it doesn't seem to be suited to teh type of series NYPD Blue is. Having the murderous police woman as a sort of central character just feels a bit out of place. Guess Ill have to keep watching ato find out where it goes.

If anyone is going to comment, please respect the episode number Im up to as I have avoided reading episode synopsis / series info for fear of spoilers. this is my first time watch of the series. Thanks.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Also, Schwimmer seems to be playing a version of his Friends character Ross in this - limited acting ability or typecast???

This was all a year before Friends premiered, so if anything the character of Ross was a continuation of "4B":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was all a year before Friends premiered, so if anything the character of Ross was a continuation of "4B":D

Yes that's what I always thought !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Halfway into season 1 and really enjoying this.

One thing I notice though is that these early episodes mostly revolve around Caruso's character with the others being supporting characters with minor or no own stories. I always thought NYPD Blue was more of an ensemble drama. Does it become one and focus more on other characters when caruso leaves???
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv,

"H:LOTS" was awesome! :D I always preferred it to NYPD Blue.

Based on a book by David Simon (creator of "The Wire") called "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets". He spent a year shadowing the Baltimore PD's Homicide Unit. Great book, well worth reading. Many bits of it crop up fictionalised within "H:LOTS", & also later in "The Wire".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    "H:LOTS" was awesome! :D I always preferred it to NYPD Blue.

Based on a book by David Simon (creator of "The Wire") called "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets". He spent a year shadowing the Baltimore PD's Homicide Unit. Great book, well worth reading. Many bits of it crop up fictionalised within "H:LOTS", & also later in "The Wire".

Thanks for th suggestions. I will defintely add it to my list. Have got a lot of time on my hands at the mo so Im planning on getting through the entire NYPD Blue by the end of the year. I probs will start H:LOTS next. And Ill be sure to check ot the book too.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Talking of Daniel Benzali I saw the first series of Murder One again and it was well worth watching, some great acting especially from Benzali and Stanley Tucci.

Bonus was I couldn't remember who the killer was.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    i might start watching this, got all the episodes but just havent got round to watching
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Thanks for th suggestions. I will defintely add it to my list. Have got a lot of time on my hands at the mo so Im planning on getting through the entire NYPD Blue by the end of the year. I probs will start H:LOTS next. And Ill be sure to check ot the book too.

Do so! :)

Great book, & a great TV series.

David Simon cut his teeth on "Homicide" before going on to create "The Wire".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny, my post from an hour ago is not here:confused:

Anyway, finished watching season 1 earlier this evening and have really enjoyed it. Thought it was quite good, and this is probably not the best of the 12 seasons. Its cool to see how a series ahpes up during its first year - how it finds its own standing etc.

The stories featured in series 1 were rallu interesting. the personal stories just as much. The cast were brilliant and I think they work really well together. Funny to see that Kelly's wife, probably the weakest characetr in the first season, was duly written out toward the end. She did leave via the backdoor though with little explanation. One week she was the victim of a hit and then she was missing for the rest of the season, only appearing in the Opening Credits. I assume we arejust meant to understand she didn't forgive Kelly for nterfering with ehr personal life - despite saving her, and that she transfered out / moved away with her wealthy doctor boyfriend.

Like that the series has started to flesh out its characters, depsite a slow start at the begining which normally saw the action revolve almost exclusively around Kelly and Andy. Nice nunch of characters from Jimmy to Medavoy to Abandando!

Also, I know that Andy ultimately becomes the Protagonist after having served throughout the show's 12 seasons, and that in part this was due to actors quitting and leaving the series. that said however, I thought the writers did a better job at writing andy than they did Kelly despite Kelly being supposed to be the lead man.Andy IMO has been better written, better fleshed out, and potrayed in a better light throughout the first season.

Looking forward to season 2. I believe Caruso leaves early on and I assume this will be connected to Janice's story. It will be ineteresting to see Jimmy Smits take over and see what sort of relationship he develps with Andy.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I was a big fan of Hill Street Blues and to me Sipowicz is just Buntz with a different name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got to the point where Caruso leaves in Season 2 and watched the first episode with Jimmy Smitts.

Have to admit that as much as I liked the first season, I didn't really mourn the departure of Caruso as the lead. Not that I didn't take to his character, but I suppose in that, perhaps his character didn't have much of an impact. I think I would probably mourn the departure of other characters more - like Medavoy, Martines, Donna and obviously Andy.

Thought Smits had a good first episode and I didn't get that feeling of seeing him as an "intruder" that i usually get when a new character takes over!:o I get this with Spooks all the time, when acharacter leaves I get all reservered and sceptical and automatically dislike the new guy until they win me over :D:o Didn't have this feeling with Caruso's departure and Smit's entry.

Anybody else get this feeling when a Lead character leaves a show that you are connected with? Or is it just me?? :o:o