Options

Fight: Polar bear vs Lion - who would win?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was surprised to read, in the news coverage of the tragedy, that polar bears are the world's biggest land predator - apparently they weigh half a ton & are 10ft tall :eek:

In the unlikely event that a polar bear came across a male lion, who would win the fight? :confused:

Also, what about lion vs tiger? I think I once saw a tv programme where a tiger had been killed by a lion?

What's the hierarchy in the animal kingdom?

Comments

• Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polar Bear each and every time. One swipe would crush a lion's skull.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Would it be a snowball fight?
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon one Lion would back away from a bear, it wouldn't even try and bring it down. A group of Lions would have a go.

If a Lion was stupid enough to take on a bear I think the bear would probably win. Though I wouldn't rule out a lion being able to take down a bear, maybe if the lion jumped on to its back while it wasn't looking and started ripping its head to pieces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Kodiak bears?

I seem to remember reading in the Willard Price books that they are massive scary beasts.

Oh, and the Mountain Gorilla?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I'm in a certain state of mind tonight, but FFS, get a grip.

It's not the fault of the polar bear, but does the event really justify a 'lighthearted' thread?

Real people were involved, dammit.

Crikey, people on here get offended about all sorts of trivia, yet this stuff is tolerated? For shame.

PS Grow the **** up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Which would win in a dance-off?
  • Options
    ninianbluebirdninianbluebird Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mac OS X Lion is better than Snow Leopard so I'll go with Lion as a polar bear also lives in the snow. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which would win in a dance-off?

I don't know, maybe this could be a scientific experiment for the next exhibition. All in the name of science rather than entertainment of course.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what about a polar bear v 50 dwarfs?
  • Options
    Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polar bear every time, they are so much more powerful and so much larger.

Polar bear vs Indian Elephant would be a better match.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd still put my money on the Polar Bear.
  • Options
    ninianbluebirdninianbluebird Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polar bear every time, they are so much more powerful and so much larger.

Depends where they're fighting. In India the polar bear would get too hot, in the snow and ice the elephant would get too cold. Where they fighting? :confused:
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would win in a fight between the Polarbear PLUS the X-men, a horde of ninjas, a manatee, Optimus Prime, and the original cast of Cheers, versus the entire Jedi Council, a crew of pirates, Wolverine and a Tyrannosaurus rex, a colony of naked mole rats, Lucifer, Oprah AND the Lion?

There's only one way to find out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I'm in a certain state of mind tonight, but FFS, get a grip.

It's not the fault of the polar bear, but does the event really justify a 'lighthearted' thread?

Real people were involved, dammit.

Crikey, people on here get offended about all sorts of trivia, yet this stuff is tolerated? For shame.

PS Grow the **** up.
    No offence is intended, I'm merely marvelling at the power of other animals & how humans are puny in comparison if it wasn't for our superior brain.

I don't see how it is disrespectful. No one is making fun of what happened.

Would we not be allowed, for example, to discuss comparisons between different warplanes, because they are being used to cause death & destruction?

People can be offended by anything if they want to.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polar bear would win....it`s the lioness`s that do the work
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought bears would always beat lions simply because lions can't seriously injure a bear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    The only thing I know about polar bears is that they don't eat penguins, but that's only because they can't get the wrappers off, and nothing to do with a lack of desire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the reason I ask is that, when you see, in natural history museums, taxidermy specimens & skeletons of polar bears, they don't actually seem all that big... Certainly not 10ft tall. :confused:

I have no doubt they are very powerful though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bears every time. It was discussed on QI.
    A bear would always win a fight against a lion as the lion's skull, although very muscular, it is thin and not very strong, so the bear could crush the skull. This was proven by a man who brought a lion and a bear to California during the Gold Rush to entertainin the prospectors and miners. They also had bears fighting against various other animals such as bulls and even an African lion, the bear won every time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Well, the reason I ask is that, when you see, in natural history museums, taxidermy specimens & skeletons of polar bears, they don't actually seem all that big... Certainly not 10ft tall. :confused:

I watched a program on C4 the other week about Polar Bears. The one they killed definately looked big. The skull was massive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also, what about lion vs tiger? I think I once saw a tv programme where a tiger had been killed by a lion?

What's the hierarchy in the animal kingdom?
    Isn't the Tiger the biggest cat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member

Are they 10ft tall when "standing" rather than walking? I can believe that, but it does seem a stretch to think of them as 10ft tall all the time.

I'm not denying it, just saying it's hard to conceive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodgar wrote: »
    The only thing I know about polar bears is that they don't eat penguins, but that's only because they can't get the wrappers off, and nothing to do with a lack of desire.

What about Lion bars? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Isn't the Tiger the biggest cat?

I think the Siberian tiger is the biggest?

I know leopards don't stand a chance against either lions or tigers, that's why they climb up trees.

I'm just in awe that, if humans did not have superior intelligence, we are very puny in physical terms. Even a wildebeest could kill us.