Options

Missing Tennant...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
...OMG, I actually miss Tennant, because Matt Smith's face does not change expression no matter what he is sayong. His emotional range seems to be very limited. Though Tennant overdid it, you could see what he was feeling.

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    ...OMG, I actually miss Tennant, because Matt Smith's face does not change expression no matter what he is sayong. His emotional range seems to be very limited. Though Tennant overdid it, you could see what he was feeling.

Well that's your opinion. As you said, Tennant overdid it (to put it mildly).

Matt Smith is excellent and quite lovely.
  • Options
    ash_proctorash_proctor Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Well that's your opinion. As you said, Tennant overdid it (to put it mildly).

Matt Smith is excellent and quite lovely.

Sorry OP, but I agree with Kapellmeister. Matt Smith is playing the Doctor alot better than that David whatshisface?

As much as I liked Tenant (and I was said to see him go), Matt Smith has filled his shoes fairly well!
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it is possible to like them both, DT was great and so is MS:p;). No comparision necessary. I also liked all the other doctors:D.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I actually am missing Tennant, not so much as the Doctor but I thought we'd see him in something else by now...

He was MY Doctor, so I guess he's earnt a rest before having the opportunity to pick and choose his next role, something very few actors get to do in the end.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Matt Smith's face does not change expression no matter what he is sayong.

oh please how silly!!! Matt Smith's Doctor has an incredibly expressive face. He looks almost like a different person from one moment to the next at times.

Rather sad that you choose to use one person who played the role as a means to take a pot shot at another as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Blimey, I thought from the title that David Tennant had gone missing!:eek:;)
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maffmoose wrote: »
    Blimey, I thought from the title that David Tennant had gone missing!:eek:;)

Haha that made me laugh.

I did miss him in the beginning, but nope not now, not anymore. I adore Matt Smith in the role. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it is possible to like them both, DT was great and so is MS:p;). No comparision necessary. I also liked all the other doctors:D.

Hear! Hear! What a perfect answer. Agree wholeheartedly. Whichever Doctor you love your not going to win over posters by slagging off other Doctors.:p
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both great.

In slightly different ways.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the opposite - I think Matt Smith is incredibly expressive with his face, and emotionally. More subtle than Tennant.

I loved DT. But I also love MS. Hell I loved CE as well. It's not a competition. Some of us do like all of them, and appreciate the differences between them. They all had strengths and weaknesses - none of them were flawless but then neither is the Doctor.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, 'Tennant'?:confused:
    Oh, wait-yeah, wasn't he that bloke who was in that thing...you know the one...overacted terribly...
  • Options
    capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, 'Tennant'?:confused:
    Oh, wait-yeah, wasn't he that bloke who was in that thing...you know the one...overacted terribly...

Sacrilicious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGaeGZi5VVc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I think the opposite - I think Matt Smith is incredibly expressive with his face, and emotionally. More subtle than Tennant.

I agree that Matt has a very naturally expressive face. I also think your right that his Doctor is more subtle in how he expressess his emotions. I wonder if the Op is confusing the two points, if that makes sense.

But anyway, a few of examples of how expressive Matt is:

The Eleventh Hour

The Beast Below

Victory of the Daleks

Time of Angels

Flesh and Stone

Vampires of Venice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I agree that Matt has a very naturally expressive face. I also think your right that his Doctor is more subtle in how he expressess his emotions. I wonder if the Op is confusing the two points, if that makes sense.

But anyway, a few of examples of how expressive Matt is:

The Eleventh Hour

The Beast Below

Victory of the Daleks

Time of Angels

Flesh and Stone

Vampires of Venice

I was a big fan of Tennant and he really grew on me from s3 onwards

But Matt Smith is like a tower of Vienettas stretching to the moon and back compared to Tennants lonely single Ryvita when it comes to a multi layered. multi faceted all round performance.

And not to bash Tennant but to me the brilliance of Smith has not been kind to him retrospectively.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Your not allowed to miss the old series on this Forum, didn't you know? You'll have The Forum Aggressors climbing down your throat! :eek:

For the record, I agree with you OP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a big fan of Tennant and he really grew on me from s3 onwards

But Matt Smith is like a tower of Vienettas stretching to the moon and back compared to Tennants lonely single Ryvita when it comes to a multi layered. multi faceted all round performance.

And not to bash Tennant but to me the brilliance of Smith has not been kind to him retrospectively.

I agree with you that Tennant came in to his own in series 3 and was on the top of his game in series 3 through to 4.

But I don't really think I'd say that Smith being so brilliant has diminished Tennant for me at all.

My point was more that the way that the respective Doctors are portrayed is so that the emphasis on the emotional context is slightly different.

I don't see it as a plus or minus point really. I think it;s about what works more for the the differing characters. It's one of the little things that defines Eleven being different from Ten for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the record, I agree with you OP

you agree that:
    Matt Smith's face does not change expression no matter what he is sayong
    ?

Because that is what this thread is actually about, Tennant is just a convenient excuse for a pointless and baseless attack on Smith.

Further I don't see many people saying anyone isn't allowed to miss the old series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you that Tennant came in to his own in series 3 and was on the top of his game in series 3 through to 4.

But I don't really think I'd say that Smith being so brilliant has diminished Tennant for me at all.

My point was more that the way that the respective Doctors are portrayed is so that the emphasis on the emotional context is slightly different.

I don't see it as a plus or minus point really. I think it;s about what works more for the the differing characters. It's one of the little things that defines Eleven being different from Ten for me.

I know what you're saying. And I dont want to sound at all anti Tennant because I could list 1000 moments I cherish from his doctor (mostly starting with that moment he sat on a chair at the end of Gridlock and it all clicked into place for me).

Maybe it was that I'd steered clear of watching any of his episodes since The End of Time Part 2 and having done so and in the middle of this exciting new love affair we are pretty much all having with Eleven I suddeny thought 'oh he seems a bit flat'.

One thing I did notice is how still Tennant was compared to Smith, and there was never that sense of chaos and unpredictability we have now. I love that we have that now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I (mostly starting with that moment he sat on a chair at the end of Gridlock and it all clicked into place for me).

thats definitely one of my top moments of the RTD era, a really gorgeous scene, not just Tennant, but the gorgeous music, direction and cinematography.....that pan upwards to the skyline is breathtaking!
    I suddeny thought 'oh he seems a bit flat'.

The only series I feel that about is series 2, but I wasn't that keen on it in the first place, tbh, I think it's more about the scripts being a bit below par that year (at least for me).
    One thing I did notice is how still Tennant was compared to Smith, and there was never that sense of chaos and unpredictability we have now. I love that we have that now!

I enjoy the unpredictability of Eleven a lot. You literally do not have a clue how he is going to react to any given situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you agree that:

?

Because that is what this thread is actually about, Tennant is just a convenient excuse for a pointless and baseless attack on Smith.

Further I don't see many people saying anyone isn't allowed to miss the old series.

Yes. Am I not allowed to agree with somebody now? I'll add that to the list as well shall I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Am I not allowed to agree with somebody now? I'll add it to the ever growing list.

Didn't say you couldn't, just asked for a point of clarification, anyway, I shall refer you to the pictures linked in post above which do kind of destroy the credibility of the argument really.

But still, no one is telling you what to do, you seem a little paranoid if i may say so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't say you couldn't, just asked for a point of clarification, anyway, I shall refer you to the pictures linked in post above which do kind of destroy the credibility of the argument really.

But still, no one is telling you what to do, you seem a little paranoid if i may say so?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread barely warrants a reply, but just for the record, I am struggling to recall many recent actors, in any roll, having more expressive, more malleable features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solid60 wrote: »
    This thread barely warrants a reply, but just for the record, I am struggling to recall many recent actors, in any roll, having more expressive, more malleable features.

oh i love that word! Very apt!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    For me, watching Tennant was like being really drunk - exciting, exhilarating and a bit unsettling and uncomfortable at times. Matt Smith is like being tipsy - more pleasant but not quite reaching the heights.

They are both good actors, as was Eccleston, who was amazing, i think. He was like injecting heroin with a dirty needle on a Newcastle housing estate, while eating a twix.. Sort of.
This discussion has been closed.