Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

Tooth self extraction... how best to go about it?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14-03-2007, 15:44
Boom
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Costa Del Sol, Spain
Posts: 1,805
ive had this problem a few times and eventually they just come out and its fine. Ive had a few teeth fall out at the back of my mouth and havnt been to a dentist, if i lost any of my fronts id be straight there though!

Human Teeth are crap i brush twice daily and always have done yet they still rot before the end of a lifetime. I think i`ll have false teeth by the time im 40.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-03-2007, 16:12
Dancing Queen
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ♥Quaint Village♥
Posts: 9,370
Originally Posted by Boom
ive had this problem a few times and eventually they just come out and its fine. Ive had a few teeth fall out at the back of my mouth and havnt been to a dentist, if i lost any of my fronts id be straight there though!

Human Teeth are crap i brush twice daily and always have done yet they still rot before the end of a lifetime. I think i`ll have false teeth by the time im 40.
but do you FLOSS as well?
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 16:33
Mags31
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 28,557
Originally Posted by darkpaw
I haven't seen a dentist for years (not since NHS dentistry went down the chute) and I haven't got one anymore, I don't think.

Anyway, they are generally fine, but recently one of my back molars has cracked & split into two (due to my bruxxing, I think) I don't have toothache as it's not painful in itself, but it is slightly loose...you can wiggle it about in its socket (a bit tender too)

I googled and it seems even with NHS dentistry you would be paying 42 for an extraction.

So I would rather do it myself if feasible. Should I wiggle it a bit every day to work it loose? Bite on an apple? What's the best way? (least painful, please!)

good grief thats very expensive. Where I am I think its around 15 at the most
Mags31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 19:58
NathalieR
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 14,958
Its costing me 700 for root canal, an x ray, and an appointment with the hygenist in total at my local private dentist! Thankfully my parents are helping this once. I was in so much pain though and had to see a dentist there and then and that was my only "there and then" option
NathalieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 22:15
darkpaw
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ♂
Posts: 11,500
Originally Posted by El Guapo
What an idiot! Go to the dentist!
I've been, everyone - see post 18

NathalieR - I think (I may be wrong) I was told by my local emergency dental hospital service, that the most you would pay for treatment there is ~30. Also I think (again I may be wrong) you are exempt if you are under 18 & in full time education. So from my experience here, it's definitely worth trying out your local dental hospital emergency service, if you have one.
darkpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 02:21
Cstar2229
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: By the Sea
Posts: 24,199
Originally Posted by darkpaw
I've been, everyone - see post 18

NathalieR - I think (I may be wrong) I was told by my local emergency dental hospital service, that the most you would pay for treatment there is ~30. Also I think (again I may be wrong) you are exempt if you are under 18 & in full time education. So from my experience here, it's definitely worth trying out your local dental hospital emergency service, if you have one.
Thank you

I hope it is healing well now
Cstar2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 03:12
Caxton
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 20,889
Originally Posted by NathalieR
Its costing me 700 for root canal, an x ray, and an appointment with the hygenist in total at my local private dentist! Thankfully my parents are helping this once. I was in so much pain though and had to see a dentist there and then and that was my only "there and then" option
700!!! I would just have it pulled out as there is no guarantee that root canal treatment will be successful either.
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 07:58
sancheeez
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,763
Originally Posted by darkpaw
NathalieR - I think (I may be wrong) I was told by my local emergency dental hospital service, that the most you would pay for treatment there is ~30. Also I think (again I may be wrong) you are exempt if you are under 18 & in full time education. So from my experience here, it's definitely worth trying out your local dental hospital emergency service, if you have one.
If it's a rear molar, emergency NHS places won't do root canal. They'll just extract it.

Exception being ..... some of them will do the root canal treatment ..... but it'll be done by dental students, for 'practice'.

I found this all out last summer. I took the extraction .....
sancheeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 08:03
holby
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 188
The film Castaway is brought to my mind.................. for those of you that didn't see it, Tom Hanks had a bad tooth and used an ice skate blade to whack the tooth outta his mouth!

Wouldn't recommend it though !!

Sorry - in all seriousness, I sympathise - toothache is not a nice thing to have - I had an abscess once and the pain was so bad I was OD'ing on painkillers and rocking back and forth
holby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 09:26
Ultrasonic
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by Boom
Human Teeth are crap i brush twice daily and always have done yet they still rot
In that case, one would have to consider how well you brush (i.e. your technique), for how long you do it (the reccommended 3 minutes is actually much longer than you think when you're standing there with a brush in your hand!) and also what your diet is like (i.e. frequency and time of sugar intake)
Ultrasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:33
Dr Steve Morris
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2

Re preop. radiographs.
Well, if the extraction had all gone 'orribly wrong, at least you would have had the consolation of being able to successfully sue the dentist concerned!
I cannot comment on NHS emergency treatment as it is quite a while since we had anything to do with NHS treatment for adult patients.
Just out of interest, we charge 36 if one of our Denplan Essentials patients needs a routine extraction (X-ray is free to members)....
Got to go, the alarm on the Bentley has just gone off, and the it's time to see if the private jet is all ready for the w/end skiing in Gstaad.............
In real world, off to bed as have to collect my wife from her night shift tomorrow am @7
Dr Steve Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:38
ValLambert
Inactive Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,877
Please dont.

Mr L has just had two heart valves replaced after catching endocarditis after a dodgy root canal. You could make yourself seriously ill.
ValLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:38
darkpaw
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ♂
Posts: 11,500
Originally Posted by Dr Steve Morris
Re preop. radiographs.
Well, if the extraction had all gone 'orribly wrong, at least you would have had the consolation of being able to successfully sue the dentist concerned!
I cannot comment on NHS emergency treatment as it is quite a while since we had anything to do with NHS treatment for adult patients.
Just out of interest, we charge 36 if one of our Denplan Essentials patients needs a routine extraction (X-ray is free to members)....
Got to go, the alarm on the Bentley has just gone off, and the it's time to see if the private jet is all ready for the w/end skiing in Gstaad.............
In real world, off to bed as have to collect my wife from her night shift tomorrow am @7
LOL... she should have gone into dentistry!
darkpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:39
darkpaw
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ♂
Posts: 11,500
Originally Posted by ValLambert
Please dont.

Mr L has just had two heart valves replaced after catching endocarditis after a dodgy root canal. You could make yourself seriously ill.
I've been sorted now - post #18
darkpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2007, 22:54
gandatron
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford, Coventry, Hanoi
Posts: 2,387
Originally Posted by darkpaw
I haven't seen a dentist for years (not since NHS dentistry went down the chute) and I haven't got one anymore, I don't think.

Anyway, they are generally fine, but recently one of my back molars has cracked & split into two (due to my bruxxing, I think) I don't have toothache as it's not painful in itself, but it is slightly loose...you can wiggle it about in its socket (a bit tender too)

I googled and it seems even with NHS dentistry you would be paying 42 for an extraction.

So I would rather do it myself if feasible. Should I wiggle it a bit every day to work it loose? Bite on an apple? What's the best way? (least painful, please!)
What do you mean by bruxxing?
gandatron is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:00.