Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Chipped freeview boxes???

Closed Thread
Old 29-03-2004, 17:23
felt_back
Forum Member

Is it possible for some freeview boxes to be chipped to receive the new topup tv channels? I have updated my channel list and have all the new channels but when I go to view them it's just a trailer for top up tv. Just wondering if it is posiible?

cheers
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-03-2004, 17:25
GDB2freeview
Forum Member

Location: England; receiving sat through an Amstrad SRD510 from ASTRA 19.2E
This is discussion of illegal activity, which is not allowed on DigitalSpy.

Mods alerted.

Gdb
Old 29-03-2004, 17:26
Ross Tilley
Forum Member

Originally Posted by felt_back
Is it possible for some freeview boxes to be chipped to receive the new topup tv channels? I have updated my channel list and have all the new channels but when I go to view them it's just a trailer for top up tv. Just wondering if it is posiible?

cheers
May I politely remind you that by talking this cause of conversation you are actively breaking the law and also the terms and conditions that you agreed to by posting on Digital Spy.

You are a new user so you may be forgiven, but please don’t ask this type of illegal question, if you really want to know, there is no way of ‘getting TUTV for Free’. If this was the case, the company would not bother encrypting! They are there to make a profit!

There is currently no ‘crack’ for the SECA 2, So don’t bother asking!

Ross
Old 29-03-2004, 17:28
spikej
Forum Member

Perhaps he means chipped in respect of being able to legally recieve topup tv - i.e. through some sort of bodge job CAM?

Ah probably not

Stu
Old 29-03-2004, 17:32
mjk79
Forum Member

Originally Posted by Ross Tilley
...if you really want to know, there is no way of ‘getting TUTV for Free’.
He didn't actually say that though. Perhaps he wants to have some sort of upgrade to his box so that he can pay for a legitimate TUTV subscription???
Old 29-03-2004, 17:38
lemoncurd
Forum Member

In fairness, there is nothing `illegal' about asking the question at all. Indeed, how illegal is it to defeat a proprietry (ie. commercial) encryption system? (Not that I'm advocating it, of course)
Old 29-03-2004, 17:54
Beth Hart
Forum Member

As there is a chance this user wishes to know about upgrading his or her box in order to pay for this service I'm going to leave this open, hopefully anyone reading this will now be aware that discussion of illegal activities are prohibited on the Digital Spy forums.

Beth.
Old 29-03-2004, 18:12
antony@grimshaw
Forum Member

I've seen chipped ntl boxes but never freeview?
Old 29-03-2004, 19:13
corf
Forum Member

Not sure but I don't think you are actually breaking the law if you unscramble the encryption by a non-standard means.

The law breaking comes when you choose not to pay for the services you are taking.

Or perhaps the EU version of the DMCA will change that.
Old 29-03-2004, 19:27
felt_back
Forum Member

ow do,

what I ment to say is that I have a grundig freeview box, one of the first freeview boxes out. So can I receive the new channels? On the adverts for TUTV it says ya can get it if ya have a ONdigital box or ITV digital box. Can I get my box chipped so I can watch these new channels or do I have to purchase a newer box?

Sorry for the confusion

cheers
Old 29-03-2004, 19:48
GDB2freeview
Forum Member

Unfortunately not. The only boxes that can get the service are the old OnDigital/ITV Digital boxes, and some of the OnDigital integrated digital TVs (As far as I know!) that have CAMs fitted.

There are going to be TUTV enabled boxes released in the near future, however (I'd reccomend waiting for these rather than getting a second hand OnDigital box), but it would mean buying a new box.

Sorry about jumping to conclusions before!

Gdb
Old 29-03-2004, 19:51
TFCoates
Forum Member

lol if you wanna talk about dodgy boxes (not saying you are) then i'm sure that kinda thing'll sit right at home on the f tn "forum board"
Old 29-03-2004, 20:36
felt_back
Forum Member

So if my box can't receive TUTV channels how come I can view all the previews on the channels numbers like E4 etc....
Old 29-03-2004, 21:05
John.
Banned User

My GDB2 hasn't had any of the previews since Ch26 was the only one . But some people with the same box have all the previews

Last edited by John. : 29-03-2004 at 21:44.
Old 29-03-2004, 21:07
uknetfreak
Forum Member

Ross
Hmm ... not entirely true
Old 29-03-2004, 21:38
peasonokay
Forum Member

Originally Posted by felt_back
So if my box can't receive TUTV channels how come I can view all the previews on the channels numbers like E4 etc....
The previews are being broadcast unencrypted. This will stop on Wednesday when the channels go live. Since they are only having a maximum of 5 streams then they wont even be able to broadcat the previews when the channels are not on air after that.

Suggest you go to www.topuptv.com if you have specific questions about this service
Old 29-03-2004, 22:06
MidiPatch
Forum Member

Originally Posted by GDB2freeview
Unfortunately not. The only boxes that can get the service are the old OnDigital/ITV Digital boxes, and some of the OnDigital integrated digital TVs (As far as I know!) that have CAMs fitted.

There are going to be TUTV enabled boxes released in the near future, however (I'd reccomend waiting for these rather than getting a second hand OnDigital box), but it would mean buying a new box.

Sorry about jumping to conclusions before!

Gdb
My Bush 7960D iDTV appears to have picked up the update and is now showing UK Style un-encrypted with the TopUpTV card in the slot in the back.
Old 29-03-2004, 22:08
The Sack
Forum Member

Quickest way to chip it is to drop it on a hard surface
Old 29-03-2004, 22:52
vuittion
Forum Member

what a bunch of old whingers,the guy in my mind asked a legit question all that bullshit about your let him off because hes a first time poster,god help you!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-03-2004, 23:49
The Sack
Forum Member

Well you just added to the bullshit didnt you. Well done, top job and i wish you every success.
Old 30-03-2004, 00:00
crazydave
Forum Member

Quite sometimes cam slots are hiden inside the box, So you could open it up and take a look
Old 30-03-2004, 00:12
Dave_Agro
Forum Member

May I politely remind you that by talking this cause of conversation you are actively breaking the law and also the terms and conditions that you agreed to by posting on Digital Spy.

You are a new user so you may be forgiven, but please don’t ask this type of illegal question, if you really want to know, there is no way of ‘getting TUTV for Free’. If this was the case, the company would not bother encrypting! They are there to make a profit!

Ross

Funny how people always jump to the wrong conclusion!
Old 30-03-2004, 00:39
geo-nomad
Forum Member

Originally Posted by GDB2freeview

Mods alerted.

Gdb
Where does he say he wants to do anything illegal, you are jumping to conclusions, sanctimonious busy body....
Old 30-03-2004, 07:09
vuittion
Forum Member

Mods alerted.

Gdb (HAHA DO ME A FAVOUR)

FELT_BACK asked this question "Is it possible for some freeview boxes to be chipped to receive the new topup tv channels" then mr GDB2freeview deems it to be a discussion of illeagal activity,well what gives you the right to decide that his post wasn't fit,he may just be curious like many of us are,if you read his post your see the word "possible" in his sentence,in future please let others decide what is and what isn't alllowed on this forum,because you clearly don't have a clue.

Last edited by vuittion : 30-03-2004 at 07:40. Reason: lol again
Old 30-03-2004, 12:07
GDB2freeview
Forum Member

For god's sake, you say something on here and it is rammed down your throat for all etenity. The DTT boards really have gone downhill. Heven help you if you make a mistake.

I have already given an apology to the person in question, what else do you want me to do? What else CAN I do?

The only person who has cause for complaint is the original poster!

Vuittion, I thought you were nice, obviously your true colours are showing. Everyone else got over the fact that the first couple of posters had picked up the question wrong, but you had to contradict your own post by posting even more 'b******t'.

This is my last post in Digital Terrestirial. If anyone needs me for help on the GDB2 or Digital Terrestrial in general and are willing not to ram everything I say down my throat if I make a mistake then I am willing to help.

To be honest I couldn't care less if I'm banned, I'm obviously not worthy to be among the race of superhumans that visit here who never ever make mistakes.

Also, I don't know what you're laughing at, because I for one certainly don't find it funny.

Gdb

Last edited by GDB2freeview : 30-03-2004 at 12:23. Reason: I wasn't finished

Closed Thread