Options

Is missing 'Maddie' the Daily Express's new Diana?

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Express sold 752,699 copies in January, down 2.4% on January 2007, and the Sunday Express sold 704,436, down 10%, according to the official ABC circulation figures. So you can draw your own conclusions:eek:
  • Options
    deadwood dandeadwood dan Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serves them right for poking fun at the Independent losing 10% of readers the other day as well. Ha ha!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same story was also featured in this week's Private Eye
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sunday Express sold 676,165 copies in February, a drop of 17% on February 2007 and the lowest sale in the paper's history. The Daily Express sold 736,634 last month, a drop of 3% on February 2007. Source: ABC
  • Options
    deadwood dandeadwood dan Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how they go all obsessed over Middle class McCanns but that poor working class Dewsbury girl gets no attention. As we predicted...
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry and Kate McCann are threatening to sue the Express over "wilding and grossly defamatory" articles. And apparently Peter Hill has told journalists that "the weather is the new Diana". Which has been fairly well known for a while.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sales figures quoted above are still depressingly high for such utter rags that have the gall to call themselves 'newspapers' even if they are heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Gerry and Kate McCann are threatening to sue the Express over "wilding and grossly defamatory" articles. And apparently Peter Hill has told journalists that "the weather is the new Diana". Which has been fairly well known for a while.

I don't think we'll be hearing much more about Maddie in the Express newspapers for a while - the management are too busy preparing to combat the case being threatened by the McCanns:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'Maddie' has been nothing more than lazy 'journalism' (if such a term applies to the rag) by The Express.I notice that she's still missing despite all their 'leads' and 'exclusives'.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4 has just reported that Wednesday's Express will include an apology to the McCanns on its front page.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,515
    Forum Member
    ian001 wrote: »
    Radio 4 has just reported that Wednesday's Express will include an apology to the McCanns on its front page.

Yep, was on the BBC1 10 o clock news too.... the court is due to rule about the defamation case tomorrow. 4 newspapers; the Express, Star and their sunday equivalents are all involved, they'll be paying damages to the Find Maddie appeal and the Express and The Star will print front page apologies tomorrow
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7303801.stm

Unprecedented, just goes to show what happns when you cost-cut and run a newspaper into the ground
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Hurrah for that - the "Worlds Greatest Newspaper" has to admit front page to publishing a load of rubbish.

I made the unpleasant journey over to the express website to see if I could find anthing - absolutely no mention of the McCanns anywhere. Even on a search you get no results at all (they suggest you try another search term like 'Princess Diana' instead...)
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are they doing this now? :yawn: Not as if it's a slow news day or anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another blow for the Express. On the Holiday Truths forum a couple of people have just reported receiving over a thousand pounds each from the Small Claims Court because then did not get their promised "£10 Cruise For All Our Readers", after waiting three years for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can we have front page apologies for all the made up Diana and weather stories now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we have front page apologies for all the made up Diana and weather stories now?
    As the law stands, I believe, the dead can't be libelled. The Express was on safer ground with Diana.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps 'The Express' will take more care in such reporting in the future?;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Perhaps 'The Express' will take more care in such reporting in the future?;):rolleyes:
    What I don't understand is, surely the Express would have in-house lawyers to vet copy before publication? - as is normal practice. Or they weren't doing their job properly?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Why are they doing this now? :yawn: Not as if it's a slow news day or anything.

Because the McCanns were suing them, and they settled/lost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Daily Express today takes the unprecedented step of making a front-page apology to Kate and Gerry McCann.

We do so because we accept that a number of articles in the newspaper have suggested that the couple caused the death of their missing daughter Madeleine and then covered it up.

We acknowledge that there is no evidence whatsoever to support this theory and that Kate and Gerry are completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance.

We trust that the suspicion that has clouded their lives for many months will soon be lifted.

As an expression of its regret, the Daily Express has now paid a very substantial sum into the Madeleine Fund and we promise to do all in our power to help efforts to find her.

Kate and Gerry, we are truly sorry to have added to your distress.

We assure you that we hope Madeleine will one day be found alive and well and will be restored to her loving family."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/38490/Kate-and-Gerry-McCann-Sorry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's reported on Radio 4 this morning that Desmond refuses to be interviewed on the matter. Perhaps he should be subjected to the same media harassment that the McCanns suffered. It's ironic that newspapers like dishing out this sort of thing , but don't like to be on the receiving end.

I notice that the apology mentions "a number of articles". I have heard that over a hundred articles were mentioned in the complaint. That's more than just a "number".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was rather odd when BBC Breakfast TV - reporting the story this morning - did not seem to realise the newspapers are owned by the same person ! They were rambling on about ''unprecedented'' front page apologies.Didn't The Sun fill the whole of its front page with an apology to Sir Elton John some years ago when they made completely unfounded allegations about him. And I think they paid him £1 million as well:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote: »
    As the law stands, I believe, the dead can't be libelled. The Express was on safer ground with Diana.

The weather can't be libelled either, but that doesn't mean they can't apologise to their readers for printing nonsense
This discussion has been closed.