Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

I want to cancel a Direct Debit with the AA - will I get 'fined' ?

Old 02-09-2008, 19:17
CXC3000
Inactive Member

To clarify, you have two agreements on place - a contract between yourself and the AA in which they provide you with a service in return for an agreed payment, and a mandate from you to your bank to pay this service provider an agreed amount.

You need to cancel the AA membership in writing, or whatever other means are acceptable to the AA, by contacting them directly and clearly stating that you wish to cancel your membership. You then need to contact your bank directly, or on-line, whatever suits, and ensure that the mandate to pay that amount to that service provider is cancelled.

Cancelling the DD on its own will probably generate a failed payment charge by the bank as the AA are understandably expecting the payment - they have no knowledge of a cancellation if they aren't notified correctly.

Stopping the membership but leaving the DD mandate in place means that the AA could still claim the payment
as you haven't taken steps to remove their authority to take payments from your account.

Play it by the book and it should all be ok.

Quick edit - you normally need to cancel a DD no less than 3 working days before its due date, although a week is probably safest.
Thank you, 10p3, but surely if I've cancelled the DD, there is no way the AA can claim the payment ? I mean, how could they? The membership will not be automatically renewed if the payment doesn't go through in the first place, so there would be no 'claim' to make.

But I'll see if I can contact them, just to let them know (and as someone mentioned earlier, they might be able to reduce the membership fee if I say I want to cancel).
CXC3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:58
CXC3000
Inactive Member

A bit of an update:

I rang them and said that the renewal was a bit too steep for me; they looked at their records (or mine rather), and because I hadn't called them out in the last year, they would offer me the online price (about 73 as opposed to about 98). I was happy with that, but then checked the RAC website.

They're offering the same deal for about 69.00, but if I upgrade to a 'Home Start', I'll be more or less paying the same as the AA (except the AA will not have the upgrade).

If I do decide to ring the AA (again), I'll feel a right wally (since I already rang them yesterday for a discount).

What about ringing my car insurance policy ? Do you think they'll offer me the same service for a much lower price ?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11
Charlie_the_cat
Forum Member

What about ringing my car insurance policy ? Do you think they'll offer me the same service for a much lower price ?
yes...no....yes....no....can't make my mind up on this one. post the number and i'll give them a call for you!
Charlie_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 15:18
CXC3000
Inactive Member

yes...no....yes....no....can't make my mind up on this one. post the number and i'll give them a call for you!
Come on, Chuck - it was just a question

Anyhooo, I did give the insurance company a call, and they said they'll give me breakdown cover (with the RAC) for about 40.00. The reason it's quite cheap is because the cover will only be provided from now until April '09 (since that's when the car insurance runs out).

So in future, I think I'll use the insurance company to buy breakdown cover from, instead of going directly to the AA or RAC.

Remember that, folks