Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
 

DS Forums

 
 

Funniest Ofcom adjudication on 106.8 The Noise (Hull)


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2005, 14:11
Joyitude
 
Posts: n/a

Breakfast Show 106.8 The Noise (Hull), August, 09:30

Introduction

106.8 The Noise (Hull) operated a restricted service licence from 1-28 August 2004. Two listeners complained about offensive content broadcast by the station. One listener said that offensive language had been used during the breakfast show (“shit”, “tits” and “balls”). Another complainant was concerned by a ‘mystery noise’ competition, broadcast at a time when children were on school holidays. Listeners were asked to guess a noise finally identified as the sound of a “woman spitting after sucking a man’s willy”.



I had to laugh - quite a lot!
  Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-01-2005, 15:25
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
I have to say that those people would probably have said those words in front of their children.

People really should wake up and smell the coffee. Any innocent kid wouldn't take a second 'listen' as to what would be going on - they wouldn't know, that is, unless the children do know. In that case, the parents have exposed them to other mediums.

I can't take stuff like this seriously.
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 16:14
MartS
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: West Midlands (OK Birmingham!)
Posts: 2,276
And The Noise can wave ta-ra to getting another 28 day RSL for a very long time!
MartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 16:16
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
Originally Posted by MartS
And The Noise can wave ta-ra to getting another 28 day RSL for a very long time!
Well, yeah, that is the problem - Ofcom don't like naughty RSLs.

I'm sure all they need to do is have a 're-organisation', and they can be back on the airwaves in no time at all.
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:35
Everything Goes
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the future....
Posts: 9,547
Im sure ive heard the words tits, shit and balls used on other stations during the day. Heaven knows the phrase "new balls" is used in Wimbledon Shit censord in some songs but not in others, always puzzled me that! Such mild swear words would only get a PG certificate on a film.
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:46
getchin
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Port Talbot
Posts: 247
I don't think the Language element in that bad, as someone else has already pointed out, it's extremely likely that the majority of young people able to understand these words will have been exposed to and used such language before.

With regards the Mystery Noise? I think it's unbelievably irresponsible for a station to use that kind of noise at anytime of the day, never mind when there's a distinct possibility of children listening! Okay it's an RSL but it's hardly the kind of message you want to send to the authority who will have the final say on whether you win that licence you're campaigning for.

Craig
getchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:54
Ian Cleverly
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Caerphilly, South Wales
Posts: 8,523
Originally Posted by cifpower
Breakfast Show 106.8 The Noise (Hull), August, 09:30

Introduction

106.8 The Noise (Hull) operated a restricted service licence from 1-28 August 2004. Two listeners complained about offensive content broadcast by the station. One listener said that offensive language had been used during the breakfast show (“shit”, “tits” and “balls”). Another complainant was concerned by a ‘mystery noise’ competition, broadcast at a time when children were on school holidays. Listeners were asked to guess a noise finally identified as the sound of a “woman spitting after sucking a man’s willy”.



I had to laugh - quite a lot!

So what happened to the other complaint about a Comedy Show they had on which featued swear words?
Ian Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 19:04
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
Originally Posted by getchin
With regards the Mystery Noise? I think it's unbelievably irresponsible for a station to use that kind of noise at anytime of the day, never mind when there's a distinct possibility of children listening! Okay it's an RSL but it's hardly the kind of message you want to send to the authority who will have the final say on whether you win that licence you're campaigning for.
I can't see it as being much worse than Kiss's Bam-Bam and his 'masterbation' contest on the breakfast show a few months ago.

I would have thought that'd be frowned upon, but the fact is, RSLs do get judged much more harshly.

I'm not saying the what The Noise did was acceptable, but if that's unacceptable, masterbation contests shouldn't be either!
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 19:16
getchin
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Port Talbot
Posts: 247
The difference between the Noise and Bam Bam is the noise actually confirmed what the noise was - Bam Bam didn't, it was a very clever ploy to make you think it was a masturbation contest, but they never branded it as that.

Craig
getchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 20:26
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
Originally Posted by getchin
The difference between the Noise and Bam Bam is the noise actually confirmed what the noise was - Bam Bam didn't, it was a very clever ploy to make you think it was a masturbation contest, but they never branded it as that.
Ahh - I didn't actually hear that show. I was under the impression that Bam Bam branded what was done as a contest, and went live to the (presumably) men taking part.

I don't think it's particularly nice to hear anybody spitting, especially on that radio, and especially with the idea of what was allegedly happening - I think even I would have turned over.
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 20:50
CRadio
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
it was never branded as a masterbation contest, and unless your dirty minded it didnt sound like one :P ok so it did, but i dont even think that was the intention

it was a random stupid competition with 2 people, 1 male 1 female having to remain in a "sitting" position without a chair. first to fall over lost.

simple :|
CRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:06
Joyitude
 
Posts: n/a
I wonder if the recorded noise was actually real though
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:15
Bangers
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,778
Give The Noise some credit, most RSLs would have 'lost' the logging tapes.
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:24
CRadio
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
and they've got some free publicity as well.

Give them the full time licence. Its not really any worse than than the stuff Kerrang get up to.
CRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:41
chio
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by CRadio
Give them the full time licence.
What full time licence? There's no advertisement in Hull.
chio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 23:53
CRadio
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
there will be though... Kerrang also broadcast a RSL last year. Theres a licence expected at some point.
CRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 00:39
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
Originally Posted by CRadio
there will be though... Kerrang also broadcast a RSL last year. Theres a licence expected at some point.
If there's enough support for it, there will be.

Ofcom will get another station in for Hull, it's just a matter of time. And it'll be the usual suspects who go in for it too - limp stations, Kerrang!, and alternative locals.

I'd reckon Kerrang! have a good chance, when it happens. Not forgetting GWR will go in with their take on Kerrang!, although we won't mention the name of that station.
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:07
CRadio
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 117
its a shame for hull really.

Dance is off limits, and the best alt service is Kerrang in my opinion, but as Viking is already established, I don't think they'd give it to EMAP. Leaving Hull with either a crap SAGA type station or a crap 100% Talk station
CRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 15:56
JRH
Banned User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: United Kingdom Services: NTL Base DTV » NTL Talk Unlimited Phone » NTL Capyonder™ 1Mbps SACM (using 30GB a month until they hard cap!)
Posts: 5,981
As I say, GWR will probably go in with a rock format, which should win.

Kerrang are EMAP, and shouldn't (technically) get it, SAGA have two regionals very close by, and talk stations are often out the window - I personally don't understand Dunedin FM, as the listenership should be low.

If Dunedin FM make it though, TWG will probably go in with a similar format though.

I'd say odds on GWR-rock, talk format if Dunedin survives, or a plain old Hot AC.

Originally Posted by me
I'd reckon Kerrang! have a good chance, when it happens. Not forgetting GWR will go in with their take on Kerrang!, although we won't mention the name of that station.
Sorry, forgot about Viking, scrap that comment.
JRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 16:22
dpb
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,954
Maybe GMG will seek to launch a Humberside version of Real Radio? Sharing evening/night-time stuff?

I know there's overlap with Viking FM but I presume the new frequency will have to be highly directional - the intended 96.4 is too near Aire's 96.3 to be as wide ranging as Viking is.
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 13:37
smorris
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by dpb
Maybe GMG will seek to launch a Humberside version of Real Radio? Sharing evening/night-time stuff?

I know there's overlap with Viking FM but I presume the new frequency will have to be highly directional - the intended 96.4 is too near Aire's 96.3 to be as wide ranging as Viking is.
The plan may be to move Aire's frequency either slightly (96.2) or even to somewhere completely different on the band. It'd have to be incredibly directional otherwise (we're talking of the order of 10 watts in one direction and 10 kilowatts in the other).
smorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 13:42
smorris
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by Bangers
Give The Noise some credit, most RSLs would have 'lost' the logging tapes.
Back on topic, I'd rather not give The Noise credit for very much personally, if the accusations are true. Losing the tapes would make it worse, but not much worse.

Some people might find it funny, but I think more would find it offensive - whatever it's definately not breakfast show material.
smorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:34
dpb
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,954
Originally Posted by smorris
The plan may be to move Aire's frequency either slightly (96.2) or even to somewhere completely different on the band. It'd have to be incredibly directional otherwise (we're talking of the order of 10 watts in one direction and 10 kilowatts in the other).
With Aire's reception being variable in parts of Leeds I suppose Emap may welcome that and also with their RAJAR being so variable and low for such a format in a medium marketplace then I have a feeling Emap might decide to have a year zero and launch a new station for Leeds and Wakefield elsewhere on the dial.

However I don't think Ofcom would be keen on moving Aire especially as they will have to reallocate Compass because it'll make more people push for more frequency changes in other markets.
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 20:32
Niknod
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: North East Lincolnshire
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by dpb
Maybe GMG will seek to launch a Humberside version of Real Radio? Sharing evening/night-time stuff?

I know there's overlap with Viking FM but I presume the new frequency will have to be highly directional - the intended 96.4 is too near Aire's 96.3 to be as wide ranging as Viking is.

96.4 is used by Compass FM in Grimsby?

The RA did say when they put Hull on the working list that an existing service would have to move frequency. My guess is Trax FM on 107.1 or Riding FM on 106.8 I am guessing that Real Radio would have been eminiating from High Hunsley on 106.9 had it not been for these two stations..... Now theres a thought....
Niknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:40
smorris
Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by Niknod
96.4 is used by Compass FM in Grimsby?

The RA did say when they put Hull on the working list that an existing service would have to move frequency. My guess is Trax FM on 107.1 or Riding FM on 106.8 I am guessing that Real Radio would have been eminiating from High Hunsley on 106.9 had it not been for these two stations..... Now theres a thought....
People are talking about 96.4 because it's been cleared with the ITU for a 10kW transmitter from High Hunsley.

I don't know where they plan to move Compass FM to, though.
smorris is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:08.