Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are your thoughts on Variants?

Old 09-10-2009, 21:23
Kablamo
Forum Member

I used to dislike these and I still do to some extent but recently I saw the price of some recent Variants which so an almost doubling and tripling for the copy. I found this odd considering recently I got a whole number of variants in bargain boxes for 50 pence or a pound.

Does anybody out there get these and if you do, why?
Kablamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41
knowndeserter
Forum Member

If you buy comics to read then they are a complete waste of time. You are not going to buy multiple issues just for a different cover. Just buy the cheapest version with the cover you like the best.

If you are a collector whoose sole purpose is investment then go for it. But if you are burnt don't come crying to me.

I always buy Crossed as the wrap edition - it just worked out that way, others such as last years Dan Dare were bought with an eye for the less seen cover artists in mind.
knowndeserter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 14:05
GreatCthulhu
Forum Member

If you buy comics to read then they are a complete waste of time. You are not going to buy multiple issues just for a different cover. Just buy the cheapest version with the cover you like the best.

If you are a collector whoose sole purpose is investment then go for it. But if you are burnt don't come crying to me.

I always buy Crossed as the wrap edition - it just worked out that way, others such as last years Dan Dare were bought with an eye for the less seen cover artists in mind.
I can remember the days when you didn't have variant covers...

Although, I did buy two issues of each of the Dark Horse Aliens series with the John Bolton painted covers back in the early 90s - one to read and one to keep pristine & they're worth 40 a pop now to folks who are interested in them.

I wouldn't do it these days though, not with issues topping out at 4 a pop...
GreatCthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote