Options

Legal question

WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
Forum Member
✭✭
My sister in law was defrosting her car this morning and she had the engine running which the windscreen cleared. She realised she had forgotten something, so left the car on the driveway with the engine running while she nipped back inside to get what she needed. She was gone for seconds and when she came back there were 2 policemen around her car, they had removed the keys and told her that it was an offence to leave the car unoccupied with the engine running on a driveway and she would have to present her documents at the police station. If it happened again they said she would be fined and they would be reporting the matter to her insurance company.
Now firstly, if the car in on private land, what right do they have to insist on this, how can it be an offence and also as she was gone for seconds, how did they manage to pounce so quickly unless they were waiting for an unsuspecting victim?
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Comments

• Options
    smartpicturesmartpicture Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she should be giving them a big fat thank you, personally. It could have been a car-thief who happened by, and the insurance would not have paid out, so she had a lucky escape
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the police for you - they seem to care more about harmless offences than things like drug dealing or violence.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJ32 wrote: »
    That's the police for you - they seem to care more about harmless offences than things like drug dealing or violence.
    Well that's shed some light on the question ...
  • Options
    tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is an offence of "quitting", under The Road Traffic Act. It is against the law to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running. It usually relates to a public highway, but it can, in fact, be anywhere, as the driver is not in control of the vehicle.
    One reason for their swift attendance could be an operation to target car thieves, as it is well known both by the police, and criminals, that people do leave their engines running to defrost the car at this time of year.
    There was such an operation a few years ago, called "Operation Cold Start", and one guy was fined £30. So she was lucky on 2 counts, one that she wasn't fined, and two, that it wasn't stolen, as she wouldn't have got a penny from the Insurance Company
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's shed some light on the question ...

The previous post as well as yours didn't, too - you just don't like what I said about the police.

Anyway, I thought I was saying it *was* an offence.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJ32 wrote: »
    The previous post as well as yours didn't, too - you just don't like what I said about the police.

Anyway, I thought I was saying it *was* an offence.
    I didn't particularly dislike what you said about the police, more bored to tears with hearing it (not personally from you obviously, but it is a comment that can be anticipated in any thread of this sort)
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that when my car was stolen, the police didn't even attend to talk to me, just took the details and gave me a crime number.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that when my car was stolen, the police didn't even attend to talk to me, just took the details and gave me a crime number.

In this case Officers were walking past, and decided to say something. There is no comparison between that, and your case, or catching drug dealers etc.

If an Officer on patrol encounters something, they will address it as they see fit.

I'm pretty sure the quitting offence is only committed on a road though, unless it has changed fairly recently.

The offence is for safety reasons, and includes leaving it unattended with the engine running, or the handbrake off.
  • Options
    WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. She only nipped in to get a bag to put in her car so the police acted very quickly. The car was only out of sight for a matter of seconds and on her own private driveway. Personally I thought the police had no right threatening her with action in this matter and the only result it had was leaving a law abiding citizen very upset and shaken. Can't help but see the comparison when my car was broken into and the stereo stolen and when I went to the police station (100metres away) the response I got was "You want to report THAT?".
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tartan18 wrote: »
    Yes it is an offence of "quitting", under The Road Traffic Act. It is against the law to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running.

You learn something new on this forum every day!! I did now know that at all.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tartan18 wrote: »
    Yes it is an offence of "quitting", under The Road Traffic Act. It is against the law to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running. It usually relates to a public highway, but it can, in fact, be anywhere, as the driver is not in control of the vehicle.
    i'll go buy a hat and eat it if that applies on private land.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    On a public road then, yes, leaving the car unattended with the engine running while you dart into the house to collect something you've forgotten is certainly an offence. However, on a private driveway, I don't believe that it is.

However, much more to the point, cars have been stolen from peoples driveways in this very senario, a thief has been watching houses and waiting for this to happen. He then jumps into the car with the engine running and keys in the ignition and simply drives off!

Whether it's legal on a private driveway or not it isn't a very sensible or advisable thing to do.

If you car were to be stolen in a situation like the one described then you may well face problems claiming on your insurance because, in effect, you had given the thief the keys!
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Road Traffic Act states:

'a person shall not leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set'

I do not believe you could by any stretch consider a private driveway to be a road.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    i'll go buy a hat and eat it if that applies on private land.

apparently the regulations are

"The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070304