Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Does A Parking Ticket Have To Be Issued On The Car To Recieve A Fine?

Old 19-08-2010, 20:58
will2348
Forum Member

Hey,

Basically, my auntie was parked somewhere and she was over by 5 minutes. The ticket man was there taping in at his portable device however he did not issue an actual ticket on the car. So my auntie drove off.

But, even though a ticket was not issued onto the car on site and my auntie drove off, does this mean a ticket will be issued remotely. By that I mean, will she get one in the post? Like you would for a speeding fine?
will2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:06
LCDMAN
Forum Member

No, doesn't have to be on the car. Yes, it can just appear in the post.

For motoring and parking questions like this, visit the excellent forums at

http://www.pepipoo.com
LCDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 21:06
Migster
Forum Member

As far as I am aware they can send the ticket in the post if you drive away (or possibly not send the ticket, but instead issue a Notice To Owner - not sure on that).
Migster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 21:09
woodbush
Forum Member

Was the car parked on a council run site or a private site such as NCP?
woodbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 21:11
fat controller
Forum Member

As far I know, a ticket issued by a parking warden has to be attached to the vehicle (quite often they take a photo of the ticket on the car to prove it was), however if you are caught on a CCTV camera (fixed or mobile) they can issue the fine through the post.

As it happens, I am waiting for one to drop through my letterbox - pretty sure I got caught by a mobile camera car, I was parked partly on a double yellow, so I have nobody to blame but myself.
fat controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 21:24
Migster
Forum Member

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/no-d...tickets/225123
Migster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 22:43
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

If it was being issued by a legitimate warden, then they won't be able to prove that the ticket was issued correctly so I'm pretty sure they won't pursue it.
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 22:46
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

If it was being issued by a legitimate warden, then they won't be able to prove that the ticket was issued correctly so I'm pretty sure they won't pursue it.
That's what I hoped too. But it fell through my letterbox anyway. I drove off before she could attach it and it still came. I was hoping they wouldn't pursue it, but they did.

That was the most expensive piss I ever had. Avoid the Upper Richmond Road folks.
Jimmy Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 05:28
brickie
Inactive Member

No there doesnt have to be a ticket on the car, the Traffic Warden can just log it down as a drive off.

There doesnt have to be any photographs taken either although the ticket does have more chance of standing if the warden has taken a few photos.
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 05:47
stirlingguy1
Forum Member

As above. I got a ticket put on my car but it obviously blew away or was nicked by someone because 2 weeks later I received a reminder for the original ticket (which I had obviously not seen!),
stirlingguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 06:36
Joey_M
Forum Member

It used to be that if you drove off before they put it on then it was void, but these days they don't have to! However as another poster has stated, unless they have photographic evidence, then it's fairly hard to prove.
I've arrived at my car with a "civil enforcement officer" standing there writing the ticket, I apologised for being late back, said that I understood if he couldn't, but would greatly appreciate it if he'd cancel it, "no problem" was the answer, and he walked off to find his next victim.
Joey_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 08:30
DaveBTCC
Forum Member

Was the car parked on a council run site or a private site such as NCP?
This is an important question: if it's a private site then it doesn't matter if the "ticket" was stuck to the car, posted to the driver, or wrapped round a tennis ball and thrown into a lake - you can still ignore it as it's merely an unenforcable invoice.
DaveBTCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 10:00
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

That's what I hoped too. But it fell through my letterbox anyway. I drove off before she could attach it and it still came. I was hoping they wouldn't pursue it, but they did.

That was the most expensive piss I ever had. Avoid the Upper Richmond Road folks.
Yeah, it depends how far into the ticketing process they've gone. My understanding is that if they can prove that the car was parked for longer than 5 minutes with no sign of loading/unloading.......or at the very least have a photo of the car in an area where even loading/unloading isn't permitted (i.e. a red route in London), then they can issue the ticket.

I've contested my fair share of parking tickets and once, I even actually took one to a tribunal.....and won!
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 11:20
woodbush
Forum Member

This is an important question: if it's a private site then it doesn't matter if the "ticket" was stuck to the car, posted to the driver, or wrapped round a tennis ball and thrown into a lake - you can still ignore it as it's merely an unenforcable invoice.
Exactly, will have to wait on the OP responding.
woodbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:41
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

Yeah, it depends how far into the ticketing process they've gone. My understanding is that if they can prove that the car was parked for longer than 5 minutes with no sign of loading/unloading.......or at the very least have a photo of the car in an area where even loading/unloading isn't permitted (i.e. a red route in London), then they can issue the ticket.

I've contested my fair share of parking tickets and once, I even actually took one to a tribunal.....and won!
Yes, you're right. The lady who printed the ticket out was nearly finished when I drove off - so she must have gone too far to stop it.

I have never contested a ticket. I'll give it a go next time
Jimmy Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 13:56
FearFactor
Forum Member

I've contested a council ticket when the ticket was missing from the car (my OH had borrowed my car and parked it outside his flat in a residents bay without a permit displayed) and they agreed to waive it as a one-off as he was a resident and did have a permit.
Then they kindly informed me that my car had also received a ticket in the same place for the same reason 2 months before (again no ticket on the car) and the fine was now 120!
I asked very politely if I could transfer the one-off waiver to the older ticket and they agreed. Then I only had to pay 25 for the new ticket (or rather OH did!).

Sometimes they'll be reasonable, as long as they don't think you're taking the p1ss
FearFactor is offline   Reply With Quote