Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Anyone else thinks the X Factor sucks this year?

Old 05-09-2010, 14:48
lizjane
Forum Member

the auditions format is awful, its just a chav audience booing and shouting on queue, and the judges are playing up to the script even more than before.

when it was just 1 singer and a panel of 4 judges it was a much more intimate audition, and we got to know the contestants personality a lot better.

the sooner they ditch the crowd the better. The current auditions format would actually make a decent 'bootcamp' stage, with the audience providing a good 2nd test for the contestants...but as a first stage of the process it just doesn't work for me.

Exactly what I was just about to write!
lizjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-09-2010, 15:05
Tiffani
Forum Member

I think bringing back ex contestants who failed at judges houses is not the way to go. At this rate we could have 3 in the final 12 who were not considered good enough in the last 2 series. Also trying to recreate Jedward with the French twins in a lame act. The only ones i liked were Cher cos she was quite original compared to what we normally see and that guy Storm cos I can see he could be an interesting character.
Tiffani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 16:41
Since Yesterday
Forum Member

I think bringing back ex contestants who failed at judges houses is not the way to go.
It seemed to work out quite well for Alexandra Burke. The original winner (the one Simon was obliged to sign that is, rather than G4) had two bites of the cherry, too. And Rachel Adedeji (who made it to boot camp first time around) most defiitely deserved another shot.

I thought last night's show was pretty good, and certainly the strongest so far this year by some margin.
Since Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 16:52
Rogana Josh
Forum Member

I think bringing back ex contestants who failed at judges houses is not the way to go. At this rate we could have 3 in the final 12 who were not considered good enough in the last 2 series. Also trying to recreate Jedward with the French twins in a lame act. The only ones i liked were Cher cos she was quite original compared to what we normally see and that guy Storm cos I can see he could be an interesting character.
I don't see any reason to bring back contestants who did not do well enough. They've had their chance, so give someone else a go.
Rogana Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 16:56
Dave Hawk

Shirlena Johnson's audition appears to have scored the most YouTube hits! Make what you will of that but then, rightly or wrongly, she's had a lot of press coverage

Of last night's performances, it's looking good for Cher Lloyd, but not so much for Liam Payne yet. And last night you could say that business has started to pick up in terms of talent
Dave Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 20:18
Rooftopcowboy
Forum Member

Shirlena Johnson's audition appears to have scored the most YouTube hits! Make what you will of that but then, rightly or wrongly, she's had a lot of press coverage

Of last night's performances, it's looking good for Cher Lloyd, but not so much for Liam Payne yet. And last night you could say that business has started to pick up in terms of talent
Liam will clearly fill the 'young boy' vacancy, as previously filled by Eoghan and Lloyd.

all we need now is the older one with the sob story, the hopeless girlband who last 1 live show, the twins/brother sister combo, and a few anonymous lads and girls who look like they've just walked off a Topshop/Topman photoshoot and thats the final 12 filled.

or am I just getting more and more cynical?
Rooftopcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 11:19
smuckle01
Forum Member

Yeah they seem to be focussing more on comedy and less on talent. I mean they are either skimming over or omitting completely what I have heard are much better singers, for example a girl called Tanya Seifert whose Youtube videos I watched and I thought were AMAZING.

Her channel is www.youtube.com/tanyasmusicchannel

Also if you want to check out some other great Youtube singers, who are way more talented than those I have seen even on the live finals of X Factor, check these out:

Emma Leigh
www.youtube.com/xxemmaxxleighxx

Rebecca Shearing
www.youtube.com/bexboop878

Laura Broad
www.youtube.com/blawah2000

Angelica Vee
http://www.youtube.com/AngelicaV1
smuckle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 13:21
Hubz1
Forum Member

i'm all for a bit of fun, but its meant to be a singing talent show... at least thats what the judges keep telling us .. i.e the goal is a worldwide artist, etc. Yet in the last 2 years (since format changes) they audition episodes have become more of a joke, with very little time spent focusing on the actual good singers. I love a hysterically bad audtion as much as the next guy, but the audtion shows are focusing too much on the silly nonsense.
I agree. I always love the funny auditions, but there hasn't been enough talent this year to fill out the shows. We are about 4,5 weeks in now, (I think, can't actually remember), and there have been no standout acts imo and very few brillant singers.

Very disappointed this year. Although I must say I love the audience audition format.
Hubz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:49
Plant_Pie
Forum Member

Theres to much of 'have you got another song...oh your amazing' they shouldnt have the chance to sing another song! They mess up the first one that should be it

And the audience..works well on BGT but for this.Just bleh,.Old format a lot better
Plant_Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 21:42
grimtales1
Forum Member

Liam will clearly fill the 'young boy' vacancy, as previously filled by Eoghan and Lloyd.

all we need now is the older one with the sob story, the hopeless girlband who last 1 live show, the twins/brother sister combo, and a few anonymous lads and girls who look like they've just walked off a Topshop/Topman photoshoot and thats the final 12 filled.

or am I just getting more and more cynical?
Liam had/has talent though and Eoghan/Lloyd did not IMO
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 10:56
mrellis33
Inactive Member

Used to like the auditions more than the actual live shows, but i have to say they have managed to ruin them. I now get my fix from American Idol only. Can't stand live audiences at audition stages. Its flipping stupid.
mrellis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 11:26
Nattie01
Forum Member

I wouldn't say it sucks but, for me, its not the must watch at all costs experience it used to be.

I was quite happy for the kids to watch Merlin on Saturday and didn't bother to watch the rest of X-factor after it had finished.
Nattie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 21:18
Plant_Pie
Forum Member

Used to like the auditions more than the actual live shows, but i have to say they have managed to ruin them. I now get my fix from American Idol only. Can't stand live audiences at audition stages. Its flipping stupid.
Same!!! Used to start to loose intresting when got to Judges houses but at the moment cant wait for them.
Live audience works with BGT but defintly not with this!! They didnt used to have backing to hide behind..no second song...or if they did not as often as they do these days!
Plant_Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 22:35
supernatural87
Forum Member

It's not the same without danni. Can't wait for her to return
supernatural87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 00:37
shermanbunny
Forum Member

Last year there seemed to be more outstanding (& dare I say inspirational auditions). Stacey, Olly and especially Jamie & Daniel were brilliant. Oh and Joe was ok too! Nothing they have shown so far this year has come close despite attempts to "up" some & the usual emotive editing. X Factor better watch out as Must be the Music has thrown up several very very good bands/singers without too much manipulation and whose instant chart successes shouldn't be taken lightly. I'll carry on watching as it's usually good TV (& the Mrs loves it) but right now it just doesn't feel up to the standards of previous years. Still time though...
shermanbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:23
Blondie X
Forum Member

Thought last year was the worst series by a mile and didn't like a single act in the final 12. This year, however, appoears to be shaping up to be even more dire. As yet. I haven't seen a single act I'm even vaguely impressed by. Even the ones highlighted as the ones to watch have been a bit 'meh'.

Not sure if it's the format change with the livbe auditions (which I hate), or I've just seen it all before but it's gone from being 'must see tv' to 'sky+ and skip through tv'.
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:27
eugenespeed
Forum Member

Not just this year.
eugenespeed is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:28
-sm-
Forum Member

What annoys me is they show 5 minutes of the judges arriving everyweek. Fair enough, the guest one, but unless you live under a rock, you will know who the judges are lol
-sm- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:22
21stCenturyBoy
Forum Member

Totally- its like a show about music that actually hates music.
Too many joke entrants, and the ones we are supposed to believe are good are uninspired and unoriginal.
21stCenturyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:01
grimtales1
Forum Member

They should go back to intimate, acapella auditions and ditch the audience. Maybe have the audience at bootcamp.
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 12:03
laurel
Forum Member

Sucks every year
laurel is offline   Reply With Quote