Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Source Code new film from Duncan Jones (Merged)

Old 04-04-2011, 20:45
KidMoe
Forum Member

Jack,

Spoiler

Annoying to have to put everything in spoiler tags, but it has only been out a few days!!
Spoiler
KidMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-04-2011, 20:50
KidMoe
Forum Member

Out of order replying ahoy...

KidMoe, I wasn't trying to imply that the ending didn't make sense. I just would have preferred for that element not to have been introduced at all. Spoilers follow!

[spoiler]I felt they cheated a bit at the end, that they broke the rules established throughout the film. Those people on the train were dead, they were beyond help. That was made abundantly clear, as was the nature of the source code. I know there was some doubt about what could be achieved, but that was only ever in Colter's mind. Everyone else was very clear about how it worked.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
KidMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 20:55
IslandNiles
Forum Member

Yeah, as I said, I did notice that:

Spoiler

By the way, you messed up the spoiler tags above!
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:14
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

Put my interpretation of the looped events within the spoiler tags again. I'm not convinced the screenwriters thought things through any more deeply; typically in such films, they create several different endings and pick the one that played best with preview audiences.

Spoiler

Anyway I think we all agree they should have canned it after the freeze frame!
Jack_Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 21:19
IslandNiles
Forum Member

I suspect the freeze frame was the original ending, and someone meddled!
Old 04-04-2011, 21:22
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

I suspect the freeze frame was the original ending, and someone meddled!
Spoiler

Last edited by Jack_Burton : 04-04-2011 at 21:25. Reason: Playing it safe and labelling it all a spoiler!
Old 04-04-2011, 21:33
IslandNiles
Forum Member

I feel like we've really trashed it now, but overall I enjoyed it very much!!
Old 04-04-2011, 21:38
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

Absolutely. Like Inception, there were holes and unanswered questions but you're still pondering the complexities of the film a few days after seeing it. It's the cornerstone of good sci-fi, creating situations where profound and left-field ideas are explored. I don't buy many films on DVD but will certainly bag a copy of Source Code.

And unlike Transformers, where you turn to your mate upon exiting the cinema screen and say "well that was crap" - and there's absolutely nothing else to say about it. All memory of the film is lost before you even walk out of the cinema main doors.
Old 04-04-2011, 22:45
welwynrose
Forum Member

OH was annoyed by the ending as he hates open ended films but overall he did enjoy it - I loved it with the ending as I like films that you can go away and discuss
welwynrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56
teacup333
Forum Member

loved this movie - took me back to the 1990's with its refs to Quantum Leap & Groundhog Day alos the Hitchcock refs in the music score (Bernard Hermann) and some of the stunts - re Cary Grant in North by Northwest
teacup333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:19
SpaceToilets
Forum Member

Great film, far better than what the marketing and trailers were making it out to be. Was expecting the film to end at the freeze-frame but to be fair the last few minutes opened up the world of the source code even further and threw in even more questions so I like that.
SpaceToilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:34
The Terminator
Inactive Member

Personally I loved the film. The premise interested me when I first heard it and, despite being mostly unimpressed with Moon I was curious to see how Duncan Jones handled this because his talent still shone through in that film, boring as it may have been.

KidMoe, I wasn't trying to imply that the ending didn't make sense. I just would have preferred for that element not to have been introduced at all. Spoilers follow!

Spoiler

Actually, having re-read your post, there are elements I disagree with. Throughout the film, there was no evidence of:

Spoiler
Spoiler
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:50
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

I found this rather dull , it just seemed like a tv movie .

and how does jake gyllenhall keep getting work ?

that goes double for michelle moynahan . she's so bland , and yet there she is popping up in all these films playing "the girlfriend"
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:36
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

Spoiler
Spoiler
Old 05-04-2011, 18:45
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

Spoiler
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:52
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

Spoiler
Spoiler
Old 05-04-2011, 21:49
brangdon
Forum Member

I enjoyed this but ultimately found it a bit too simple. I was hoping for something more wild.

Anyway I think we all agree they should have canned it after the freeze frame!
I don't.
Spoiler
I was quite impressed by the double-decker train.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 22:26
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

Spoiler
The postulate that a new universe is created each time source code is run is not such a stretch. Rutledge's explanation was "quantum physics and parabolic calculus" ( that old chestnut). The first bit alludes to the many-worlds interpretation that every event is a branch point, and all possible alternate histories are created. The Schrödinger's cat thought experiment springs to mind i.e. in one reality the cat is dead and a new reality branches off where it is alive.

The film probably appeased quantum physicists a bit more than neuroscientists i.e. the uncertainty principle that you cannot make observations of a system without perturbing it was also adhered to.

Anyway -no doubt more than enough geekdom from me here. I'll get my coat and head to the Only Way is Essex thread.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:55
johnloony
Forum Member

I was more impressed by this film than I had expected, and the up-beat ending was more satisfying than if they had left it hanging at the moment of the "freeze".

I noticed that in the trailer he said "What would you do if you knew you have less than eight minutes to live?" but in the film he actually said "... if you knew you have less than a minute to live?". In the film it was just before the explosion, but it must have been tweaked for the trailer to explain the plot more easily.
johnloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 21:40
OneTreeHillFan
Forum Member

Not going to lie, I was really looking forward to watching Moon and when I finally did I wasn't a huge fan. The idea was good but I found it very slow moving at the beginning.

Want to see this film though, looks good and I have a huge crush on Jake Gyllenhall Lucky the easter holidays are coming up - there's so many films I want to see!
OneTreeHillFan is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 21:44
brangdon
Forum Member

The postulate that a new universe is created each time source code is run is not such a stretch.
I'm aware of quantum theory and the many-worlds interpretation. That's not really what's happening here, though.
Spoiler
Have you read (spoiler for an SF novel):
Spoiler
Old 06-04-2011, 22:18
welwynrose
Forum Member

I see there are rumours floating about the DJ may be in the running to direct the new Wolverine
welwynrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 22:34
Jack_Burton
Forum Member

I'm aware of quantum theory and the many-worlds interpretation. That's not really what's happening here, though.
Spoiler
Have you read (spoiler for an SF novel):
Spoiler
Yeah it was - you said the parallel universes were already existing. And Rutledge's claim (whether a ruse or not) was to stop Stevens spending time exploring the alternate reality beyond his mission of ID'ing the bomber.
Old 06-04-2011, 22:44
wiseguy100
Forum Member

I found this rather dull , it just seemed like a tv movie .

and how does jake gyllenhall keep getting work ?

that goes double for michelle moynahan . she's so bland , and yet there she is popping up in all these films playing "the girlfriend"
i thought Jakes acted brilliantly in this film. and in most reviews they mention how great he is.

your opinion would be more valid if you could actually spell the name of the actor you are dissing lol.
wiseguy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 21:34
brangdon
Forum Member

Yeah it was - you said the parallel universes were already existing.
Yes, I think that's more likely than that the SC device is creating them; the latter would be more of a stretch. You seemed to disagree.