Options

Rinse fm constantly broadcasting swear words?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
How is Rinse FM getting away with constantly playing non-radio edit tracks with Mc's swearing during the day?
Its disgusting when the majority of 'unlicensed broadcasters have rules about language on the air' it seems they are taking their license for granted.

i tuned in 2 x on 30.03.2011

09.58am- the f word in a song
09.59am - b word
15.44 - s word..
15.47 - s word , sexual references
15.59 - more swearing...
16.16 - f word
16.17 - f word
16.25 - f word
16.57 - f/ word, b word, and the n word...

today at 10.06am i tuned in and straight away heard the f word in a song....

are ofcom actually listening to what they are doing or do they not actually care?? seems RSL's have such strict guidlines and this lot carried on broadcasting illegally during their application and now got the license have not even told their dj's any rules about language and radio edits....i dont get it??

Comments

• Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you find it offensive, may I ask why you're listening?

Or do you like the music?
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the OP is 'old fashioned' and likes the idea of pride and standards in broadcasting. If RSL's are pulled up about bad language etc, how does Rinse FM get away with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Willum wrote: »
    If you find it offensive, may I ask why you're listening?

Or do you like the music?

i like some of the music ... i just find it hard to understand how they are allowed to get away with it?....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Moogey wrote: »
    i like some of the music ... i just find it hard to understand how they are allowed to get away with it?....

Simples.... Ofcom need a written complaint before they will act.

Don't just moan on here - write or email OFCOM and they will have to investigate.
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moogey wrote: »
    Well, yes, seeing as your agenda isn't purely what I initially suspected it was (scanning the dial looking for stations to report), I will admit that I have some sympathy with your view.

While I personally don't generally find swearing offensive, and would point out that one doesn't need to swear to be so, what you've described above does sound OTT, particularly in daytime hours.

You're right; they should know better, and it does seem unprofessional, and downright careless if they value having a clean record with the regulator. Considering their recent pirate roots, if I were them, I would be very keen to show the regulator that I was capable of operating a service that adhered to the legal requirements.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 35,062
    Forum Member
    Last week on the afternoon show, I heard a presenter use an offensive term for someone who's mentally ill on the daytime show, then read out the telephone number in a slow manner.

Don't get me wrong, the output is improving, especially the old skool show on Friday lunchtimes, but there's still no sense of basic rules about what you can say or play during the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm not offended by swear words or the type to write to ofcom to complain , i was just putting it out there, maybe the terms are a bit more lax now or theres 'no chance' of them loosing their license otherwise surely they would be having stern words with the dj's and making sure all songs are radio edits?

btw 2.11pm today.. the dj left the mic on and said the s word... lol!!

as Willium said i would have thought considering their pirate background they would be very strict on this especially after all the time and money that must have gone in to getting 'legal' it would be silly to loose it over something so stupid.
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nothing compared to the pure bile I heard the "grimey breakfast" presenter and his downright thick bint of a co-host spouting the other week. They were commenting on the major news stories of the day, including the Sian (mispronounced) O'Callaghan murder in such an insensitive manner I couldn't believe my ears and wouldn't dream of repeating. They then went on to say the soldier who was awarded a bravery medal in Afghanistan was no better than someone going out in the streets of London indiscriminately "spraying 400 bullets" into innocent passers by. My jaw literally dropped.

Far more offensive than any swear word in a song. I'll never make the mistake of casually tuning in to that show again!
  • Options
    SidechainSidechain Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I remember my mum used to listen to some afternoon plays on radio 2 I think it it was and there were some swear words in it at 2pm on a saturday afternoon and the presenter never said sorry and to be honest I wasn't even offended. I think people swear so much these days that swearing has in fact become the norm and no one really cares if they hear it only those who are really really offended by the words. I think original tunes with the swearing in are ok at least its not been butchered to death by some radio station doing a half arsed edit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    That's nothing compared to the pure bile I heard the "grimey breakfast" presenter and his downright thick bint of a co-host spouting the other week. They were commenting on the major news stories of the day, including the Sian (mispronounced) O'Callaghan murder in such an insensitive manner I couldn't believe my ears and wouldn't dream of repeating. They then went on to say the soldier who was awarded a bravery medal in Afghanistan was no better than someone going out in the streets of London indiscriminately "spraying 400 bullets" into innocent passers by. My jaw literally dropped.

Far more offensive than any swear word in a song. I'll never make the mistake of casually tuning in to that show again!

that is disgusting,
    lately i've been wondering if Ofcom have relaxed the impartiality rules, look at Russia Today for instance which is definitely not compliant with the rules as i understood them to exist fairly recently

have any RSLs ever been disciplined for swear words?

all the rsls round here are quite cosy and ILR-ish so its never happened. i have concerns about some of the past Ramadan rsls which have described suicide bombers as martyrs
    (young girl presenter so i guess you could give them the benefit of the doubt and say its just poor supervision)
    or in another case called on their audience to convert their work colleagues

i know of RSLs getting a token slap on the wrist for running too much power but never heard of other violations

i say that it was a token slap on the wrist as the station was "banned from holding an RSL" for 12 months which sounds like a punishment except this station only broadcast once a year anyway so in practise the ban meant nothing!

on a similar subject to Rinse i'm normally a great Fan of All FM in Manchester but yeaterday afternoon a Presenter with an African accent was really bashing whitey accusing the UK of god knows what, i turned off to keep my blood pressure down :D

afternoon play was likely radio 4, i have heard some strong stuff on their but never gratuitously offensive

just to clarify i'm not a prude i'm currently listening to a filthy iggy pop bootleg but theres a time and a place (after the watershed)
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either we have the regulation one would expect in a developed country or anarchy.

Ofcom need an ****ing rocket up their ****.
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with being 'old fashioned' at all, there is no excuse for swear words being accepted as 'the norm' in today's society. If this is true then no wonder their is no respect for anyone or anything anymore! Frankly Rinse FM are taking the piss, simple as that!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 35,062
    Forum Member
    Powerplay wrote: »
    Nothing to do with being 'old fashioned' at all, there is no excuse for swear words being accepted as 'the norm' in today's society. If this is true then no wonder their is no respect for anyone or anything anymore! Frankly Rinse FM are taking the piss, simple as that!

The community station I worked on had a show which contained explicit lyrics and swearing on a Sunday night between 10pm-midnight. However, we broadcast a disclaimer before the show started and also on the station website.

While Rinse is perfectly within their remit to reflect the sound and culture of the London underground music scene, that comes with responsibility and they're not doing that properly during daytime hours. That clearly includes presenter/DJ training on their links.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Liking the joke here ;)
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no watershed on radio. Its the broadcaster's discretion to what they broadcast.

Zane Lowe on Radio 1 has played music and content featuring strong language at 7pm.

But if the listener is offended by such material, then simply turn it off.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry Powerplay - I wasn't actually suggesting you were 'old fashioned'. I was being ironic, meaning that (sadly) the attitude today is that anyone who doesn't like bad language (you and me included) is an old fuddy-duddy.
    I agree entirely with what you say.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that why they are called Rinse FM? Because everyone played needs to wash their mouth out?:D. Come on. Someone had to make this joke.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Sorry Powerplay - I wasn't actually suggesting you were 'old fashioned'. I was being ironic, meaning that (sadly) the attitude today is that anyone who doesn't like bad language (you and me included) is an old fuddy-duddy.
    I agree entirely with what you say.

I know you didn't mean me, I did read your comments properly. :);)

A good example is if you have a rubbish comedian in a pub, and the only way they can get a laugh is to 'F' and blind in every comment. Also I have noticed some dj's in bars around my way have started swearing, like "put your f**king hands in the air" Totally unnecessary and unprofessional! :mad:
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,749
    Forum Member
    A pub or bar is not an open platform like radio. There are issues about swearing that are difficult to resolve. I'm often surprised about the amount of swearing in 15 classification films out on DVD but they reflect the stereotyped language of criminals, etc. To reflect urban culture I suppose it is acceptable to have some swearing on radio but surely after a certain time?
    However, as a teacher I find that radio - if listened to at all by young people - seems to find its target audience and it is unlikely that a station like Rinse would appeal anyone that was not already part of its "cultural" remit. As for adults finding it offensive, there's an obvious answer!

I should like that to be the case but no one can actually solve the use of swearing. I don't think it actually has anything to do with respect if used with peers or within a social group (like a group of men in a pub). It isn't as easy to change as people think; you can't just ban it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pub or bar is not an open platform like radio. There are issues about swearing that are difficult to resolve. I'm often surprised about the amount of swearing in 15 classification films out on DVD but they reflect the stereotyped language of criminals, etc. To reflect urban culture I suppose it is acceptable to have some swearing on radio but surely after a certain time?
    However, as a teacher I find that radio - if listened to at all by young people - seems to find its target audience and it is unlikely that a station like Rinse would appeal anyone that was not already part of its "cultural" remit. As for adults finding it offensive, there's an obvious answer!

I should like that to be the case but no one can actually solve the use of swearing. I don't think it actually has anything to do with respect if used with peers or within a social group (like a group of men in a pub). It isn't as easy to change as people think; you can't just ban it!

I realise that, however sometimes the use of swearing is totally inappropriate, whether you are a club/pub dj or on the radio in London or wherever for that matter. We should not keep avoiding the fact that standards have slipped, and that should not be justified at all!
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a listen to Rinse this morning and they were playing Eye Of The Tiger and My Heart Will Go On. Celine Dion is at least as offensive as a couple of F-bombs...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    Had a listen to Rinse this morning and they were playing Eye Of The Tiger and My Heart Will Go On. Celine Dion is at least as offensive as a couple of F-bombs...

Eh? So much for Urban underground. Are you sure Celine Dion wasn't swearing in French? :D;)
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? So much for Urban underground. Are you sure Celine Dion wasn't swearing in French? :D;)

They were being kind of ironic, and talking about old movies they loved, but they played all of EOTT and quite a lot of MHWGO.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also podcast their entire output. I bet that's against their PPL licence. Though if it was up to me every radio station would do this, and the PPL+PRS would be dragged into the 21st century! ;)

Cheers,
    David.