Options

Series link also recording repeats

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I've been recording Two Greedy Italians on BBC2 Wednesday nights via series link and noticed that it's also recorded the repeats on Sunday teatime.

Is this just a mix up with the people who setup the series link?

Comments

• Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The broadcaster is responsible for the veracity of all EPG data including series links that they provide for the EPG - so in this case it is down to the BBC.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rare - but this sort of mistake can happen.

The broadcaster (in this case the Beeb) is responsible.

The BBC are usually very good. The Sky At Night (monthly) seems to work just fine. However, I recently noticed that they had started to conflate "Later Live" with "Later... with Jools".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers :)
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was a similar EPG related query - you might like to read my response there ..
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1481562
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hi Folks

a slight editorial mix-up was made and one episode from the repeat series link strand was put in the origination strand. This means that anyone recording the earlier series link would have had that repeat recorded also.
    The links have been corrected now. Apologies for the error.

Just in case you don't know, for "Sky" style series linking, each strand of events is put in a different series link e.g. BBC evening Eastenders is linked together with one series ID and BBC Three repeats are linked together with a different ID.
    Freeview+ and Freesat+ PVRs could identify from the programme CRID (programme unique ID) that an episode has already been recorded and not record it again. Sky+ doesn't use programme IDs (yet) and therefore can't do the same.

I hope that helps. Please be reassured that any feedback on EPG issues is very helpful. Please keep it coming.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,966
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, very interesting.
    I take it that you work for Red Bee?
    :)
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadcaster is responsible for the veracity of all EPG data including series links that they provide for the EPG

Yep,and some broadcasters manage it much better than others. Examples of series links I've had going wrong include:

Universal-repeats picked up on Sea Patrol

CBS Action-I had The District on series link,they ran the first three seasons then went back to season one,the s3 finale picked up the s1 opener. I cancelled the link and waited for it to cycle round until they showed season four,after which they went back to s1 again (for its third outing) and again the s4 finale picked up the s1 opener. Interestingly though,bearing in mind it's the same broadcaster,the links on Judging Amy on CBS Drama worked ok,ie when they returned to s1 after showing the first four seasons,the s1 opener was not picked up,again I let it cycle round to seasons five and six,after which they went back to the start again,but the s6 finale didn't pick up the s1 opener.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RedPG wrote: »
    Hi Folks

a slight editorial mix-up was made and one episode from the repeat series link strand was put in the origination strand. This means that anyone recording the earlier series link would have had that repeat recorded also.
    The links have been corrected now. Apologies for the error.

Just in case you don't know, for "Sky" style series linking, each strand of events is put in a different series link e.g. BBC evening Eastenders is linked together with one series ID and BBC Three repeats are linked together with a different ID.
    Freeview+ and Freesat+ PVRs could identify from the programme CRID (programme unique ID) that an episode has already been recorded and not record it again. Sky+ doesn't use programme IDs (yet) and therefore can't do the same.

I hope that helps. Please be reassured that any feedback on EPG issues is very helpful. Please keep it coming.
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have had the same problem on BBC HD before.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I had this problem when I set a link for Midsummer Murders. It started recording all the weekday repeats.

So after a couple of weeks of this (and no new MM's due mainly to mid-week football) I cancelled it.

A new episode followed the next week. Guess what? I missed it:mad:
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I had this problem when I set a link for Midsummer Murders. It started recording all the weekday repeats.

So after a couple of weeks of this (and no new MM's due mainly to mid-week football) I cancelled it.

That can no longer be considered a fault. I think we have to assume that it's ITV policy. Stupid policy, mind, but that's ITV for you.

The BBC do the same thing occasionally where you get programmes on a similar theme recorded. I remember once I recorded a repeat of Julia Bradbury's Railway Walks and in the morning I found that I also had a documentary on Beeching and another on the electrification of the network. Neither were of the slightest interest to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »

I had the same problem with MM.

Was going away for a month so set up a series link for two new episodes on ITV1HD; it also recorded the weekday repeats.

Outcome: MM filled up the hard drive so when I came back lots of other programmes had failed to record due to no space.

I was not a happy chappy. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with MM.

Was going away for a month so set up a series link for two new episodes on ITV1HD; it also recorded the weekday repeats.

Outcome: MM filled up the hard drive so when I came back lots of other programmes had failed to record due to no space.

I was not a happy chappy. :mad:
    It's completely self-defeating as well. I've given up using SL with MM and as a consequence I risk missing the new ones. I don't understand why ITV think it's appropriate or sensible to do it.

What's so special about MM that makes them think people what ad-nausseum repeats of old episodes?
  • Options
    Stone FreeStone Free Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    The BBC do the same thing occasionally where you get programmes on a similar theme recorded
    On freeview they regularly get the links wrong, quite a few times a programme disappears for a few weeks but the old series link just sits there, and unless your in you lose the prog, which makes the whole thing rather pointless.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one here caught out by Midsomer Murders!!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 23,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record the extended Top Of The Pops on a Thursday night and it also recorded the Saturday night/Sunday morning repeat too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    beatlesaintbeatlesaint Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have this problem with Midsomer Murders too, as well as Family Guy and **** My Dad Says.

So thats 3 different channels cant get it right........
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coast on BBC HD also linked to a repeat instead of the next new episode last week.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And More4 have linked the season finale of s2 of The Good Wife to a repeat of the pilot :eek:
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone having trouble with Series links for The Kennedy's on BBC2 Friday evenings?

This Friday they are running two episodes back to back, but only one is showing in the planner to be recorded?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    This Friday they are running two episodes back to back, but only one is showing in the planner to be recorded?
    That's normal. Sky boxes only show the next item to be recorded. It's something I wish they'd improve. Actually I also wish they'd 'ban' back to back showings. It makes it difficult to avoid clashes :(

I actually wish Sky would review their EPG. The Freesat/Freeview EPG is much better. Most PVRs not only highlight all recordings for the forthcoming week but they can also suggest alternate showings to work around clashes.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    That's normal. Sky boxes only show the next item to be recorded. It's something I wish they'd improve. Actually I also wish they'd 'ban' back to back showings. It makes it difficult to avoid clashes :(

I actually wish Sky would review their EPG. The Freesat/Freeview EPG is much better. Most PVRs not only highlight all recordings for the forthcoming week but they can also suggest alternate showings to work around clashes.

Whoops.

Because the second episode wasn't marked to record, I manually selected that one to record.

So have I bu66ered it up? Will it now record twice, or will if throw a fit and not record at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops.

Because the second episode wasn't marked to record, I manually selected that one to record.

So have I bu66ered it up? Will it now record twice, or will if throw a fit and not record at all?
    I'm not sure, actually. It might attempt to record it twice..but then again it might have the sense to spot the other recording. It'll be interesting to see which :D
  • Options
    speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Whoops.

No you won't have bu99ered it up!

There were two eps back to back last Friday and I did exactly what you have done for next Friday - it worked fine!

I have done the same for next Friday too, mainly because of what I saw last week when there were two back to back eps of Castle on alibi - my DRX890 box recorded the first one, did not auto schedule a recording of the second one as expected but instead decided to schedule a recording of a repeat showing of it later in the week (not what I was expecting at all really).