Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Hobbit....so Excited

Old 31-03-2011, 07:50
Assa2
Forum Member

I love Lord of the Rings. I play Lord of the Rings Online, so was really looking forward to these films, until I found out one thing about them. The fact they will be in 3d. I think the films would have been fabulous without the gimic of 3d. Just my humble opinion of course and hope to be prooved wrong.

PJ
Fair enough. My own view is that these films will be immense enough without a gimmick like 3D to sell them and I trust PJ/Weta to do a good job. I don't believe PJ would decide to use 3D if he didn't think it would add to the experience. The film will not have been designed around the fact that it's 3D like a lot have, which in itself may not be a good thing. I personally don't care having never seen a 3D film in my life (outside of an IMAX documentary).
Assa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50
NorfolkBoy1
Forum Member

Just watched the first Peter Jackson Video Blog.

I think I just wet myself a little.
NorfolkBoy1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 18:50
OvertheUnder
Forum Member

Cant wait for this film + has such a good cast yet again

Anyone else excited about the film????
OvertheUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 21:17
Iggyman
Forum Member

Nope - Jackson completely messed up The Lord of the Rings and I have no doubt that he'll make a similar mess of The Hobbit.
Iggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 21:32
_Venger_
Inactive Member

Nope - Jackson completely messed up The Lord of the Rings and I have no doubt that he'll make a similar mess of The Hobbit.
Messed up?
_Venger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37
Dai13371
Forum Member

Hell of a minority view there to be honest. My Tolkien mad friend loved the trilogy and he can recite passages from The Silmarrilion for fun. Some purists have gone on record saying they are disappointed by the lack of Tom Bombadil. I would be very interested to see the benchmark those who think Sir Peter "messed up" use in order to gauge what they personally feel a triumph is. I also feel that one can respect a body of work even if they didn't like it.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:46
ruddiger
Forum Member

Existing thread HERE
ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01
shaurya
Inactive Member

i really like this movie !
shaurya is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01
julomu
Forum Member

I'm definitely looking forward to this, I'm of the opinion that PJ did a good job with the LotR trilogy, but some fans will never be happy unless the movies are exactly like the books, page for page, dialogue and all...

Anyhoo, he did a MUCH better job with the LotR trilogy than they've done with the Harry Potter series.
julomu is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58
mr.Burns
Forum Member

i really like this movie !
How do you know ? It will not be out for at least another year and a half
mr.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 18:57
Iggyman
Forum Member

Yes, messed up. I'm far from being a Tolkien 'purist' but I've read (and thoroughly enjoyed) LotR a number of times - Jackson spectacularly failed to capture the atmosphere and essence of the books. Along the way he also completely messed up some characters and their motivations (such as Faramir).

Now I know that when translating a book to a film you need to make necessary changes, but many of the changes made were totally unnecessary.

I didn't miss Bombadil as such, but I did enjoy that part of the book (well, except for the singing).

I also disliked the look of the films due to choice of lenses, lighting, etc - the look Jackson went for also managed to be the polar opposite of how I imagined it would look.

Overall, for me the films were a failure, but I know that I'm in a tiny minority. I have no hopes for The Hobbit.
Old 19-05-2011, 01:09
nextexit
Forum Member

"We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown" - Peter Jackson on facebook
nextexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 11:56
Virtuousdream
Forum Member

and now Benedict Cumberbatch joins! I bet he's cast as an elf.
Virtuousdream is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:21
MarvelAms
Forum Member

I can't wait for this film! MSN have just done an article on it summarising the info thats been released so far! It's going to be mega!
MarvelAms is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 23:07
james2018
Forum Member

"Thag you very buch"

oh christ i hope they leave that line out
james2018 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 23:36
soapfan_1973
Forum Member

Can't wait for this film to arrive. The god thing with filming in MZ again is they get to use the same crew and studios as the LOTR trilogy. Do we know if they are going to reuse the Hobbiton Shire set as I believe it is still standing (could be wrong as I know a lot of the other sets were struck afert filming) ?
soapfan_1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 23:37
soapfan_1973
Forum Member

and now Benedict Cumberbatch joins! I bet he's cast as an elf.
According to IMB he is Smaug!
soapfan_1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25
performingmonk
Forum Member

According to IMB he is Smaug!
Er...according to Peter Jackson he's Smaug! It was confirmed that Cumberbatch is playing both Smaug and the voice of the Necromancer (aka Sauron).
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 22:40
Kymberly
Forum Member

Haven't checked through all this thread, but I maybe tempted to watch The Hobbit. I have never seen any of The Lord of The Rings triology, but I am hoping this wont make any difference.
Kymberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37
nethwen
Forum Member

Haven't checked through all this thread, but I maybe tempted to watch The Hobbit. I have never seen any of The Lord of The Rings triology, but I am hoping this wont make any difference.
No, it shouldn't make any difference at all as far as the Hobbit films are concerned seeing as it all precedes the LotR era. I hope that, on watching the Hobbit films, it will encourage you to watch LotR (extended versions, preferably) as you are missing a real treat. They are brilliant films imho.
nethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 22:18
Iggyman
Forum Member

Bombur, Bofur and Bifur - see if you can spot James Nesbitt.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/im...3111341600.jpg
Old 14-07-2011, 22:57
performingmonk
Forum Member

Bombur, Bofur and Bifur - see if you can spot James Nesbitt.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/im...3111341600.jpg
Crazy looks for Bombur there! It seems James Nesbitt, who's playing Bofur, has one of the more 'normal' non-outlandish looks out of all the Dwarves. That will make his character more relatable compared with those with a ton of prosthetics on and huuuge hair (even though it makes him look more like a man than a Dwarf).

Can't wait to see Thorin Oakenshield!
performingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 15:47
Assa2
Forum Member

They've released 'hero' shots of most of the dwarfs now. It's all starting to come together. I saw a snippet yesterday that Nick Frost had been cast as a dwarf which I thought rather odd (as all had been cast) but quite interesting, until I realised it was for 'Snow White & the Huntsmen'. That together with The Hobbit and the other Snow White film in production means there's going to be ahelluvalot of dwarf action next year. I must say the seven dwarfs in SW&TH are a mega cast. That said I think Thorin at al could take Sleepy, Doc etc.. any day
Assa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 23:11
lynxmale
Forum Member

Jackson spectacularly failed to capture the atmosphere and essence of the books.
I don't think childishly unfeasible battle sequences and lines like "nobody tosses a dwarf" helped.
lynxmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 11:50
snork
Forum Member

Why is it you can't criticize Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy without being dismissed out of hand.

I enjoyed all three films, but I don't think they were as good as they could have been and a few iconic moment were mishandled - Eowen, Faramir etc.

However, I think that he might do a good job with the Hobbit as it is a simpler story and less indepth. I'm pleased with the casting too. I guess that puts me in the excited camp.
snork is offline   Reply With Quote