Options

Alba ALDTR160 (Vestel T825) won't come out of standby

2»

Comments

• Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but it sounds like somebody has been messing with it. Where did you buy it from? I guess it is probably "refurbished" and/or the previous owner put the wrong software on it.

AFAIK, the latest software that shipped with the T845R Alba was v0.5. As you say that you have v4.9, that indicates that you have a T825 Alba, which somebody has downgraded with the Wharfedale LP160DTR software. Are there any identifying labels on the bottom of the unit? An alternative theory is that you have a Wharfedale main board fitted inside Alba casing, as cobbled together by the "refurbisher" (believe me, this is not as unlikely as it sounds!). Anyway, if your unit is really a T825 Alba inside and out, IMO the software needs to be updated - this can be done manually via the RS232 port and a suitable PC. That said, the unit may well be faulty, which is why the original owner tried changing the software.

Apologies if I've increased the confusion :). It would help if the exact hardware configuration could be identified further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but it sounds like somebody has been messing with it. Where did you buy it from? I guess it is probably "refurbished" and/or the previous owner put the wrong software on it.

AFAIK, the latest software that shipped with the T845R Alba was v0.5. As you say that you have v4.9, that indicates that you have a T825 Alba, which somebody has downgraded with the Wharfedale LP160DTR software. Are there any identifying labels on the bottom of the unit? An alternative theory is that you have a Wharfedale main board fitted inside Alba casing, as cobbled together by the "refurbisher" (believe me, this is not as unlikely as it sounds!). Anyway, if your unit is really a T825 Alba inside and out, IMO the software needs to be updated - this can be done manually via the RS232 port and a suitable PC. That said, the unit may well be faulty, which is why the original owner tried changing the software.

Apologies if I've increased the confusion :). It would help if the exact hardware configuration could be identified further.

it was bought brand new from EBuyer.com so maybe i should inform them it also has a years warrenty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jhuck34 wrote: »
    it was bought brand new from EBuyer.com so maybe i should inform them it also has a years warrenty
    Sorry to say that it almost definitely wasn't brand new - only Argos sold these brand new. A theory is that the original owner was having problems with it, incorrectly put the wrong software on it, which didn't solve the problems, so they returned it to Argos. Then Ebuyer probably bought the stock from somewhere like Core Value which "refurbishes" returns from Argos. These T825 units have not been manufactured for some time now.

If you don't want to mess about, then returning it to Ebuyer as faulty is certainly an option worth considering, not that Ebuyer are to blame (their supplier is), but it is of course their responsibility to refund. However, it could be that there is nothing technically wrong with your box and it just needs a software update, albeit which would have to be performed manually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Sorry to say that it almost definitely wasn't brand new - only Argos sold these brand new. A theory is that the original owner was having problems with it, incorrectly put the wrong software on it, which didn't solve the problems, so they returned it to Argos. Then Ebuyer probably bought the stock from somewhere like Core Value which "refurbishes" returns from Argos. These T825 units have not been manufactured for some time now.

If you don't want to mess about, then returning it to Ebuyer as faulty is certainly an option worth considering, not that Ebuyer are to blame (their supplier is), but it is of course their responsibility to refund. However, it could be that there is nothing technically wrong with your box and it just needs a software update, albeit which would have to be performed manually.

Yeah core value is who the warrenty is with.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stock from somewhere like Core Value which "refurbishes" returns from Argos.

As I keep whining every now and then - my T825 from Aria, which has never worked properly, was "refurbished" by Core Value :mad:

parthena
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This thread explains why my 'new' Luxor PVR from eBuyer has already got some programs recorded on it. It probably also explains why it keeps randomly rebooting - no doubt the previous owner(s) got fed up with it as well. I am a little worried now that anything I buy from eBuyer, thinking it is new, might turn out to be worn out rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is the single scart Luxor as pictured on ebuyer, that's a recent Vestel T835 box. Check the software version - v3.4 is the latest and if Core Value have any integrity they'd have updated these boxes while "refurbishing" them. The Luxor boxes are sold "new" only at Asda, so this will have been returned to Asda at some point. It is a little naughty that ebuyer are seemingly not mentioning that these are "refurbished" boxes. I've had no trouble buying new items from ebuyer in the past.

I've run various software versions from v0.3 through v3.4 and I don't recall my box ever randomly rebooting. It is therefore probably a hardware fault - if you have a spare PSU of the same power rating and connector type, it would be worth trying that. Not sure if a faulty HDD could be causing such symptoms. Clearly, it was not tested adequately - actually, I'd be surprised if the "refurbishing" process involves much more than switching on/off, if that, as far as testing goes.
  • Options
    WatchTheChaosWatchTheChaos Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Hi folks

I have the Alba ALDTR160 as mentioned on thread and have a similar problem I'll give details below.

A couple of days ago it started to be unresponsive to the remote and the batteries where checked, no probs, so I did the power reset. This time instead of the normal message box on screen that it was checking the disk all that showed was a black screen for about 3 or 4 mins, then switched back to off (standby). The display panel on the front then shows just '--:--' nothing else. Still no interaction either with buttons on panel or remote. Did a couple more resets and did get the machine back working checked recordings etc. all still there.

Put into standby, clock had updated itself, all seemed fine. Later on found that it had frozen again with clock showing but not updating, and no response again. Repeated this a few time since with the same long term result.

Reading this thread, does mine seem like a power supply, s/w or h/w failure? I think s/w. We have had this box about 2 1/2 years I think so no warranty. If it's dead I will like to try and get some of the recordings off to the pc and convert or burn some to dvd later.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The power supply would be my first and main guess - usually it is just a "popped" capacitor, which are easy and inexpensive to replace if you are handy with a soldering iron or know somebody who is. If you look at the PSU board, normally the dodgy capacitor can be seen - usually the tell tale sign is that the metal top is domed or bulging, rather than being flat like all the other capacitors. That would be the first thing I'd look out for anyway. There are more details at http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1309563 which indicate the specific capacitor which normally fails.

Failing that, if you're going to attach the hard drive to your PC anyway, you could try downloading the Lifeguard diagnostics program from Western Digital's website (assuming your Alba's drive is a Western Digital), and run a short and extended test on the drive which would help indicate if the drive is failing (only use the first 2 tests - the write zeroes test will erase the drive).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that futaura,

I have checked the whole board and none of the caps have any sign of failing they all look completely flat on the top. I have run Lifeguard over the WD drive and both checks came up as passed. So from that I suppose it must be something else that has failed or is on the way out at least?

In the process of copying all the files from the drive to an external 500g one, before deciding what to do about the PVR.

Anything else I should look at or check before I dump it and buy a new one?

Thanks so far
    John
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bet would still be on a capacitor on the PSU board, even if there are no visual signs of failure, especially as the HDD test pretty much proves that should be fine. A new PSU board can be purchased for around £40, but IMHO it'd be more econmical to buy a new box, even if a "refurbished" one off ebay. If you could find a cheap secondhand T825 box, you could always put your existing HDD in it. It might also be prudent to wait for the new Argos catalogue next weekend if you want a brand new one.

Lots of options, but no miracle cures unfortunately :(.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again, looks like we will wait for the new Argos catalogue as you never know what they might have in there. Another option of course is they sometimes sell off some of the 'old catalogue' stock at a reduced price. I really can't see the point of repairing the current box.

I like the DigitalStream that is mentioned in other threads here but will keep the options open atm.

Thanks again. :-)
    John