Options

Maplin - what a nasty little company

Comments

• Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    CPC are ok from a sales standpoint, but their warehouse is sometimes quite rubbish.

We've repeatedly had the wrong item, missing items, or faulty items sent.

Rapid, on the other hand, are very good... http://www.rapidonline.com/
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it's not just me that gets the wrong items from CPC including this tuesdays delivery which included 2 RF adapters of the same type which somehow weren't when the package (very promptly) arrived.
  • Options
    radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eXOBeX wrote: »
    I remember when RS and CPC/Farnell were expensive, Maplin were cheap and Tandy sold crap. Tandy have made way for Maplin and Maplin have made way for CPC. Maplin aren't a patch on what they used to be, and neither are the products they sell (there's a hefty review of their jump starters on YouTube, showing that the battery inside is a fake).

24p for a 10K resistor? They used to be 3p each, and from CPC they still are!

CPC are now starting to aim at Joe Public with TV ads and stuff, let's just hope they don't go down the same slippery slope though.

Maplins are basically criminally expensive and the goods are similar in naff quality to the old "Realistic"gear.CPC are a bit cunning,they bombard you with emails and mailshots containing "Bargains"which aren't really bargains since the headline prices exclude VAT handling charges and the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    radioman2 wrote: »
    Maplins are basically criminally expensive and the goods are similar in naff quality to the old "Realistic"gear.CPC are a bit cunning,they bombard you with emails and mailshots containing "Bargains"which aren't really bargains since the headline prices exclude VAT handling charges and the like.

Realistic was RadioShack, which i've always been told was a well respected brand... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realistic_%28brand%29
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    At least it's good to see a company actually opening shops rather than shutting them. Their prices must be affected by the costs of maintaining a high street presence.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    At least it's good to see a company actually opening shops rather than shutting them. Their prices must be affected by the costs of maintaining a high street presence.

I do agree, even though personally I don't like them much and wouldn't buy a box of batteries from them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    and personally find them ok. On the 1 occasion I had to return something, the money was returned to my credit card on the spot, no quibbles. Which is more than you can say for some stores.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want a few misc electronic components quickly, a Maplin shop is RIGHT THERE !

The small indie electronics shops are now all gone.

Not ideal, and will vary between stores, but the only game in town.

Radioshack - trading as Tandy - were much worse !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Radioshack - trading as Tandy - were much worse !

I remember being in Tandy when I was a kid, my dad used to look in them and I would go in as well. Don't remember if we bought anything but I think I liked browsing their shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember being in Tandy when I was a kid, my dad used to look in them and I would go in as well. Don't remember if we bought anything but I think I liked browsing their shops.

When we had one on the island, they seemed to be more focused on Electronic Keyboards (the muscial kind) more than anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davepusey wrote: »
    When we had one on the island, they seemed to be more focused on Electronic Keyboards (the muscial kind) more than anything.

Strange! I don't remember the one I was in having those but they used to have a lot of gadgety type stuff.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s_mirage wrote: »
    That reminds me of Tandy to an extent, they also seemed to try to position themselves as more mainstream but look what happened to them.

when ever I talk to someone about our Maplin, I keep calling them Tandy. Just habit.

When I heard that we was having a Maplin, I was so pleased, I thoguth i would be down there as much as I used to be down our Tandy store, but i have not. Grown older I suppose and got no need for some of the stuff i used to buy from Tandy, but I still use Maplin for their batteries and connectors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Aren't Tandy a division of the American company, Radio Shack? Which I believe is still very strong there.

It would seem Charles Tandy bought Radio Shack many years ago.

You'll also see they are still in the UK selling audio equipment (not really HiFi, in my view) under the "Realistic" name.

Tandy, in the UK, now belongs to Carphone Warehouse.

That is another reason why I hate Carphone Warehouse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    My local Maplins is incredibly helpful. It seems quite a small branch though, which maybe helps.

Pretty good in our Store as well, like yours it is a smaller store. I have had no problems with them apart from the fact they keep asking for my name and address so they can send me even more junk mail.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to get our daughter interested in electronics so we have bought a few of the Vellemen kits which are quite good fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Vellemen kits are very good, especially the more advanced ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    I still occasionally buy the catalogue, (got the Autumn/Winter 2010/11 one here). I used to always have the latest Tandy catalogue, mainly to drool over the world band receivers. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They tend to be the "shop of last resort" for me.
    I will only buy something I'm desparate for and *really* can't wait a couple of days for.
    The staff in my local are actually pretty good tho' and most of them are as geeky/ nerdy as me so are always able to offer sensible advice if required. :o

But the truth is, they're too expensive for the small impulse bits and bobs and their generic, no brand stuff is often unreliable...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    webbie wrote: »
    I'm trying to get our daughter interested in electronics so we have bought a few of the Vellemen kits which are quite good fun.

Does she like the kits?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which kits did you get?
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've bought the steam train noise kit, roulette kit, and two types of dice kit. My daughter got the hang of soldering quite well and all the kits work as they're supposed to. One of the dice kits is a bit unfair - the chances of a six is 1 in 8, as is the chance of a one.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    One of the dice kits is a bit unfair - the chances of a six is 1 in 8, as is the chance of a one.
    Why is that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    What ever happened to RS by the way? Are they still around? Used to use them a lot, but not been in for years.

Was in Maplin today - needed a little tiny screwdriver that I couldn't get in B&Q, managed to get what I wanted so quite pleased. Was slightly annoyed at the saleswoman's attempt to sell me 2 for 1 batteries....for a screwdriver? Eh?

By the way - "Maplin's" was a fictional holiday camp. "Maplin" is an electrical store
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What ever happened to RS by the way? Are they still around? Used to use them a lot, but not been in for years.

Didn't know they had stores, but the website is certainly still going strong... http://uk.rs-online.com/
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,538
    Forum Member
    davepusey wrote: »
    Didn't know they had stores, but the website is certainly still going strong... http://uk.rs-online.com/

They don't have 'stores' they have 'trade counters'.