Options

Has anyone ever one those ITV competitions?

HMOHMO Posts: 42,387
Forum Member
There are many ITV competitions on TV shows, game shows especially, where they ask you to answer a question to be in with a chance to win prizes. Has anyone won or knows anyone who has won one of these prizes?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, i have common sense
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband won four thousand pounds on Dickinson's Real Deal recently. He doesn't do the phone-in though - the free online version is one of many competitions he routinely enters every day. Needless to say, we think quite highly of David Dickinson just lately :D
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean WON?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband won four thousand pounds on Dickinson's Real Deal recently. He doesn't do the phone-in though - the free online version is one of many competitions he routinely enters every day. Needless to say, we think quite highly of David Dickinson just lately :D

I do those sometimes and have always wondered whether anyone who enters online for free has ever won or whether the prizes are reserved for those who pay :p
  • Options
    Dolphin DriverDolphin Driver Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My mum will be pleased to hear that - she enters the This Morning and Loose Women competitions online every week and is convinced that they only give prizes to the phone in entrants.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum will be pleased to hear that - she enters the This Morning and Loose Women competitions online every week and is convinced that they only give prizes to the phone in entrants.

We used to think the same thing. Initially I was so convinced it was a wind-up when they told him that he'd won that I immediately fired up Google to see if anyone else had ever won without paying for a phone entry, and there are quite a few out there.
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ITV, but my OH met someone who won the Gadget Show mega prize recently.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife won a phone-in competition on "This Morning" a few Christmases ago
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »
    Not ITV, but my OH met someone who won the Gadget Show mega prize recently.

Have you seen this weeks????

It amazes me that someone who watches this regularly must already have a lot of gadgets. What the hell they gonna do with that lot though?

If indeed the prize is real each time!!!
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broonale wrote: »

if the prize is not real, or the winners are 'fixed' in any way, I'm sure the broadcaster will lose their broadcase license very very quickly
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One has one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum got through to Quizmania (remember that?) a few years ago. She didn't win though, it was a practically impossible question!
  • Options
    Greggybaby UKGreggybaby UK Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I remember Quizmania. What a great show. I thought the fat old bloke with the glasses was a particularly good host.

I wonder what happened to him?
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,110
    Forum Member
    I always wonder who win these prizes. I never understand how anyone with a broadband connection would enter any other way. Pay over £1 to text or phone or pay nothing to enter online. Bit of a no brainer really!
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have entered a few online, never won. but theres no way im paying to enter!!

i dont think thats fair if people who enter online dont get a look in....inst that being deceptive??? are they allowed to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    broonale wrote: »
    Have you seen this weeks????

It amazes me that someone who watches this regularly must already have a lot of gadgets. What the hell they gonna do with that lot though?

Is that a WEEKLY prize, or ONE prize for the WHOLE SERIES, though ?
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once won £250 of big game tv. It was the first time i ever phoned in too and the last as a couple of days after the channel ceased broadcasting but they did honour my prize and i got the cheque a week after winning.
    Yes it did clear lol.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a WEEKLY prize, or ONE prize for the WHOLE SERIES, though ?

It's weekly but i have my doubts if it is actually real.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offense to anyone but I find those competitions on ITV are for suckers of the highest order.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody will win everytime but they are making more than enough profit to give one person the prize with the hundreds of thousands of idiots that actually ring up. I find it a bit of a scam with the ridiculously easy questions.

I always enter the tv mag crossword competition by post but never have any luck, sometimes i wonder if they even count the postal entries.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belfastkid wrote: »
    No offense to anyone but I find those competitions on ITV are for suckers of the highest order.

I entered an ITV competition online which cost me nothing (except my laptop and broadband connection which I already had) and won £5000.

If that makes me a sucker then I'm a bloody happy one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    What really bugs me is the length of time the competition options page is on the frozen screen for while the rules and disclaimer paragraph is read out.
    Why is it necessary for a voice over to read the small writing out? It's as long as an advert and so annoying. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to think the same thing. Initially I was so convinced it was a wind-up when they told him that he'd won that I immediately fired up Google to see if anyone else had ever won without paying for a phone entry, and there are quite a few out there.

ITV do get paid for online entrants but from advertisers rather than you. For every hit they get on the website they get more per advert they show. So it won't really make a difference.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad to see that some people did win after entering online. I always thought that web entry was just there was a legal requirement (I read that somewhere) and that only monkey-making phone entries would've been considered..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that some people did win after entering online. I always thought that web entry was just there was a legal requirement (I read that somewhere) and that only monkey-making phone entries would've been considered..

That's what I thought too. I eneter loads online, but I've not had a sniff of a prize !