Options

TiVo update is just around the corner

Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,335
Forum Member
Our new TiVo update is just around the corner…
Options

on 12-10-2011 20:59

This week we have begun a limited pilot of our next TiVo software release. This new software includes many new improvements as well as key developments that will enable the launch of future products. We’ll be rolling it out to everyone well before Christmas. Here’s a sneak peek of what you can expect:

Spotify Support: We’ll support Spotify’s high quality streaming format, which will enable the Spotify Premium App on the TiVo platform.

Red Button: This update adds extra functionality necessary to support Red Button services developed by our channel partners, such as BBC, ITV, and Sky Sports

TiVo App support: We've enabled the connection of your TiVo box to iOS devices through your wireless router to use our fantastic TiVo app, which allows you to control the TiVo box, browse, search and manage recordings all from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

A new look for YouTube: We’ll support Google’s completely revamped YouTube app, which allows for a more relaxed viewing and browsing experience, and supports HD video!

Full BBC iPlayer integration: We’ve changed the way Catch-up TV through BBC iPlayer works. Every BBC iPlayer programme will now be available through Search & Browse, including much more HD content, and you’ll never use up a tuner for BBC iPlayer viewing.

Express Series Links: Create a Series Link with default settings at the click of a button.

Multi-tap text entry: Use the number keys on your remote like a mobile phone for text entry for typing into search.

Automatic Padding: We’ve had tremendous feedback from customers about clipped recordings, so we’ve installed a default level of padding for all recordings.

Improved Parental Controls: We’ve made some changes with PIN entry requirements to suit every household. In the new update, PIN challenges on pre-watershed playback of programmes in My Shows become optional. We’ve also added the ability to require PIN to access any application.

Skippable Music Playlists: Playlists on Music on Demand will be skippable by track

Live Pay-per-view Events: Live pay-per-view events become bookable with your remote control.

HD Upscaling: As promised on this forum, we’ve addressed the issue with our picture quality and this new update features better standard definition picture quality with improved upscaling.

Connection reliability: HDMI and SCART compatibility improved.

Info and Stop button functionality improved: You’ll be able to use the ‘info’ button in the TV programme guide and the mini guide, while the Stop button now works as you would expect.

Video Preview for every channel: Every channel will keep playing in the TV Guide window, including all the Sky channels.

There are plenty more updates already in the pipeline and, as ever, we will use your feedback to continue to improve our TiVo service.

We’ll be keeping you up to date on this forum.

Thanks,

Simon Hunt

Product Director (TV)

Virgin Media
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Our-new-TiVo-update-is-just-around-the-corner/td-p/774391

Comments

• Options
    TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's being rolled out from the early hours of tomorrow. I'm told one other thing which everyone will be happy with and not listed is the channel changing and menu loading speeds - apparently it will be lightning fast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    I think it's being rolled out from the early hours of tomorrow.
    Some else on cable forum has said the same thing. Great news also about the channel changing and menu speeds :)
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait! :D
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody got it all yet?
  • Options
    smiler52smiler52 Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    yes i have red button on bbc1 just loads i player
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smiler52 wrote: »

Thats what everyone had with Tivo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    smiler52 wrote: »
    Ken said there was a update in october and he was right he also said there would be another update in November http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35313039-post3108.html

I think its important to remember that the update adds support for future red button services.
    Getting the update doesn't mean you'll instantly get red button. VM previously said (Virgin Help & Support Forums) that the next update will be a depencacy for future functionality and red button is it.
    As I've said in a separate post, the introduction of new features to TiVo planned for the second half of this year will not come all in a single update.

I just hope to set expectations because it seems that a rumour has been heavily perpetuated on this board that there is one all encompassing update to come. In actuality, there will be a large update, but other feature updates will follow very soon after this update (as their introduction had the update itself as a dependency).

Nick
    Nick Ontiveros
    TV Strategy, Digital Entertainment
    http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/sky-sports-red-button-and-bbc-interactive/m-p/708349#M17554
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »
    Ken said there was a update in october and he was right he also said there would be another update in November http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35313039-post3108.html
    Have a feeling they are the same update, just to two sets of customers

The update this month is a small customer rollout
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the bbc and Sky Sports red button will be activated without a second software update :confused:
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV red button on Tivo
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35315575-post3277.html
    Wonder if the Sky Sports and BBC red button will also appear but will say "oops that didnt work". The red button will probably work when the Tivo update is fully rolled out.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I noticed express series link yesterday on the box and thought "odd, I haven't seen that before". Also when I did set a series link it defaulted to 1min early and 4 mins late, that was new too. Didn't really look into it as I was in a bit of a rush. I'll do it now - the feature list there is great.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Yes it's all new here - going back on the guide has the channel numbers on the RHS and everything. The apps are totally different too. On demand currently not working though, so can't test that. Gotta go out, but I'll have a proper play later.