Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 18-11-2011, 19:56
rubyred25
Forum Member

I've never understood the need for people to strike up a sycophantic conversation with a complete stranger just because they have some level of public profile, it seems the most absurd thing to me. Autographs as well, I mean seriously, lol, unless the stranger in question was signing a cheque out in my name, I ain't interested, no matter how much I like that persons work.

They are just strangers in the street; if someone I didn't know came up to me in the street and started demanding I pay them attention, or my signature, I'd consider them ridiculous and rude. Think about it, if it was you and some stranger started screaming sycophantically at you and demanding your time, and felt entitled to do so because of your job? You'd think they were freaks!

Then there is the argument that they have no rights because they are in the public eye I find the people making this justification rather worrying. Everyone has a right to privacy and to be left alone, no matter how much of a media wh*re they are. Someone I've never met owes me nothing, even if I admire their work. I find the whole celebrity worship thing just ridiculous.

As for certain strangers (celebrities) being 'nice', it's all down to perception. My version of 'nice' is not the same as someone elses. If you meet a 'celebrity' when they are 'on duty', say for example, at a convention, then it's their job to be nice. If you are one of those idiots who thinks it is appropriate to bother a complete stranger when someone is eating, or shopping, or doing normal 'off duty' things, and expect something from them, then you deserve as rude a response as you are being.
Funny how any of us, ever get married or find a partner, because my husband was a stranger would he approached me
How dare he speak to me, when I was enjoying myself, and not working. lol
These celebs,love the attention at first, but guess once reached the full circle of no one wanting to know, they sell their autographs on ebay. lol
rubyred25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-11-2011, 20:13
LYNN(E)
Forum Member

Many years ago I was in a pub in the city of London with a boyfriend & there was a trad jazz band playing.
We got chatting with the drummer who introduced us to Akker Bilk who was at the bar
He took us all to the 100 Club in Oxford Street as his guest
What a night and what a lovely down to earth man never forgotten it
LYNN(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 00:04
ewoodie
Forum Member

Book signings. He/she was lovely. Durrr.
ewoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 01:10
CRM
Forum Member

Duncan Bannatyne. Creepy. Overly fond of threatening to sue the NOTW over true stories of him getting his end away whilst he was married.
CRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 01:54
Richardcoulter
Forum Member

Duncan Bannatyne. Creepy. Overly fond of threatening to sue the NOTW over true stories of him getting his end away whilst he was married.
Just because it's allegedly true doesn't mean he wants it to be made public knowledge, he could have sued under the privacy laws.

On a separate note, he once admitted to having a man crush on John Barrowman
Richardcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 02:01
She Devil
Forum Member

Nice:

Peter Kay, He was walking down the street and he was happy to stop and chat. He gave me his biro pen to remember him by

Ian Mckellen, at gay pride in Manchester, my cousin asked me to go with him and Im glad I did, Ian was lovely. Also posed for pics.

Graham Norton, love him, made us laugh, signed a book I had with me, I had my 4 year old cousin with me at the time and she had seen him on children in need on the TV, he was dancing to some music and my cousin used to call him "the dancing man", I told him this and a few weeks later a signed photo arrived for my cousin signed dance man!

Gillian Anderson, she was brill, friendly, and stunning in real life, was happy to chat for a while.

Bryan Adams, after a concert in Manchester. Signed a programme.

I didnt meet him, but Joe Walsh (guitarist for the eagles) was doing a live webcam chat (they used to do it through his website not sure if they still do) basically he turned his cam on and an msn type chat appeared and you had loads of people typing questions to him and he would either type back or talk, I have always admired him and looked forward to this for weeks, I asked my question, then suddenly felt really ill so ran off to the bathroom and left the computer, my boyfriend heard him saying my name then answering my question, my boyfriend had to type back that he was sorry but I wasnt there as I was being sick!

Finally,

Jon Bernthal (Shane from the walking dead) in the USA, he was on the table next to us and was lovely, not a bad word to say about him at all. He signed stuff when people went up to him during his meal and didnt complain. hes not really my type but I have to say he was stunning in real life and from what I saw and heard he seemed like a really nice guy. He just seemed really normal.
She Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 02:13
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I didnt meet him, but Joe Walsh (guitarist for the eagles) was doing a live webcam chat (they used to do it through his website not sure if they still do) basically he turned his cam on and an msn type chat appeared and you had loads of people typing questions to him and he would either type back or talk, I have always admired him and looked forward to this for weeks, I asked my question, then suddenly felt really ill so ran off to the bathroom and left the computer, my boyfriend heard him saying my name then answering my question, my boyfriend had to type back that he was sorry but I wasnt there as I was being sick!
Do you remember that song he did in the 70s, about being famous, Life's Been Good? It had such rye funny lyrics: 'I go to parties. I stay 'til four. It's hard to leave when you can't find the door! So hard to handle, this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different, I haven't changed! Lucky I'm insane, after all I've been through! I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!!'
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 02:17
staceyxxx23
Forum Member

Lorraine Chase is lovely. <3
staceyxxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 09:29
jioscar
Forum Member

The Prodigy,so polite and lovely not abit like they come across on stage ,
jioscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 17:41
laska
Forum Member

Do you remember that song he did in the 70s, about being famous, Life's Been Good? It had such rye funny lyrics: 'I go to parties. I stay 'til four. It's hard to leave when you can't find the door! So hard to handle, this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different, I haven't changed! Lucky I'm insane, after all I've been through! I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!!'
I love Joe Walsh!
That's a great song!
laska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:27
Shorthand Queen
Forum Member

Many years ago I was in a pub in the city of London with a boyfriend & there was a trad jazz band playing.
We got chatting with the drummer who introduced us to Akker Bilk who was at the bar
He took us all to the 100 Club in Oxford Street as his guest
What a night and what a lovely down to earth man never forgotten it
I love Akker's music and have been fortunate enough to meet him on two or three occasions and each time he has been absolutely lovely, chatty and down to earth, a really lovely man.
Shorthand Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 19:36
maidinscotland
Forum Member

Years ago when I lived and worked in London (22 years ago actually ), a friend of mine got mugged at the tube station. A kind man made sure she was okay and arranged and paid for a taxi to take her home, she thought he looked familiar and it was only later that she realised he was........Boy George!
maidinscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 12:57
Tejas
Forum Member

Jeremy from monkey world- Lovely Guy!
I've met him too - absolute legend in my eyes! Granted many wouldn't consider him a 'celebrity' but he's been on TV a fair bit, and the work he does puts him well above most famous people IMO.

Quite a few years ago I met Simon King, the wildlife presenter/film-maker and he's a really lovely guy.

I met all of the band Athlete after a gig in 2009 and they all signed a CD for me - again they were very friendly and seemed touched that I'd waited to meet them, especially Joel (the singer).

Also met Editors after a gig the same year and again they came across as really down-to-earth, their third album had just gone to #1 as well. They seemed to really appreciate comments on the gig.

Finally, I've also been lucky enough to meet quite a few people from Dancing On Ice including Hayley Tammadon, Suzanne Shaw, Clare Buckfield, Daniel Whiston, Matt Evers, Michael Zenezini (before he was on DOI though!), Nina Ulanova & Katie Stainsby. Again, all really nice people and happy to take some time to sign an autograph and have a quick chat. Katie was particularly talkative - I do find it a bit awkward approaching people, so it really helps when they actually talk to me and ask if you enjoyed a show, etc.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 13:26
ThisSheepMoobs
Inactive Member

I been reading this thread and I never met or know anyone famous.

Saw Dev Alahan off Corrie once in Sainsbury's/Asda- Never liked him anyway (I mean the character)...
ThisSheepMoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 14:10
DoctorQui
Inactive Member

Bumped into Chris Packham at a children's playground once. I was with my friends 2 children and he was with his daughter. We were the only ones in the playground.

I sort of looked at him and knew I knew him but couldn't place him then it dawned on me (all this within about 30 seconds). I just said hello, he rolled his eyes turned away from me and said to his daughter 'c'mon, where going!'

Up yours Chris, I wasn't looking for an autograph!

Met Tom Baker in a Tesco queue once too, being a huge doctor who fan I simply said, 'thank you for being there in my childhood', his response was to look at me like I was something he stepped in and simply said 'Oh do f**k off!'

I still love him though!
DoctorQui is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 23:57
rachelgata
Forum Member

Bumped into Chris Packham at a children's playground once. I was with my friends 2 children and he was with his daughter. We were the only ones in the playground.

I sort of looked at him and knew I knew him but couldn't place him then it dawned on me (all this within about 30 seconds). I just said hello, he rolled his eyes turned away from me and said to his daughter 'c'mon, where going!'

Oh no I love Chris Packham on telly and find him very funny (and hot ) but for some reason I can imagine him being a bit of an arse in the kind of situation you describe. Oh well!
rachelgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 00:14
Snow_Leopard
Forum Member

Met Tom Baker in a Tesco queue once too, being a huge doctor who fan I simply said, 'thank you for being there in my childhood', his response was to look at me like I was something he stepped in and simply said 'Oh do f**k off!'

I still love him though!
Are you sure it was Chris Packham? If it was, it sounds like you weirded him out to me!

Tom Baker was very rude to you wasn't he? Not sure I'd like him afer that.
Snow_Leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 03:07
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

You know, I'm sure Tom Baker was niceness itself to starstruck kids in the 70s, staying in character as the Doctor-but I suspect he might just as habitually adopt a more cynical, non-oleaginous manner with professed former childhood fans, but in a tongue-in-cheek way not meant to cause offence. It fits with my image of him, and his rye personality.
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:50
Richardcoulter
Forum Member

I been reading this thread and I never met or know anyone famous.

Saw Dev Alahan off Corrie once in Sainsbury's/Asda- Never liked him anyway (I mean the character)...
From the interviews i've seen of him, he comes across to be just as irritating and boring as his character.
Richardcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:07
scornedwoman
Forum Member

My father took my ten-year old son to a media show in October as he is a huge Dr Who fan. He met Frances Barber, Ian McNeice and Paul McGann.
My dad said they were all really lovely, and Ian in particular was happy to chat away and apparently had a brilliant sense of humour. They all posed for photos as well.
scornedwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 13:34
ellie1997
Forum Member

We met Tom Baker at a Sci Fi convention years ago, my lad shares his name and he found it quite amusing. Huge huge man but quite sweet on that day.

Also met Danny John Jules who played Cat in red dwarf and he was (and still is) a lovely lovely guy. Gazza was there at the time as well with Jimmy Fivebellies or whatever his name was. He took a shine to my then 5 year old daughter and tried to pick her up but was so shaky and weak he couldn't. We left that day thinking he wasn't long for this world to be honest. Very nice, very polite but so obviously very ill.
ellie1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:00
Gloria Fandango
Forum Member

I have met and worked with many actors in the last 40 years and most of them were nice to meet.. (Of course there's always the odd one out)

Aitch,
Ooo, don't leave us dangling. Tell us who!
Gloria Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 16:13
DoctorQui
Inactive Member

Are you sure it was Chris Packham? If it was, it sounds like you weirded him out to me!

It was def Chris Packham, he lived near me in Southampton and used to get his Aston serviced at the same mechanic as me. I didn't freak him out, he just got all celeb on me. I just said something like, 'Oh hello, I thought I recognised you!' Two lone adults in park witth our kids, thought it might have broken the ice etc, my friends kids had even started playing with his daughter.
DoctorQui is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 17:57
ThisSheepMoobs
Inactive Member

From the interviews i've seen of him, he comes across to be just as irritating and boring as his character.
Never seen an interview with him.

When I saw him in Asda- he looked quite rough-like so...

Other than that- not met anyone famous. Always wanted to meet Peter Kay or Ricky Gervais...
ThisSheepMoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 15:09
Serial Lurker
Forum Member

That's hilarious.
Serial Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote