Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Film actor likenesses

Old 06-04-2012, 13:50
madeleymade
Forum Member

I just got a mailload of old Marvel film adaps from mycomicshop.com. Some of the likenesses were good. Nigel Davenport in the Island of Dr. Moreau was spot-on, according to my mum, while the Meteor turned the balding, cleanshaven Trevor Howard character Sir Michael into a random eccentric, greyhaired, moustachioed, bespectacled Professor with no name. Anyone else memories of classic comics' film likenesses not being spot-on? I know the various 'that ain't Tom Baker, looks more like Pertwee or Gareth Hunt' comics.
madeleymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-04-2012, 21:24
ironjade
Forum Member

See also Simon Pegg as Wee Hughie in "The Boys".
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 22:10
QuincyMD
Forum Member

Utimate Nick Fury was always designed as being SLJ and then the films copied the Ultimates line.
QuincyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:26
Gulftastic
Forum Member

In DC's 'Identity Crisis', the artist Rags Morales patterned the main characters after various actors and other famous people. He lists them in the supplemental material. Highlights include Zatanna/Phoebe Cates, Elongated Man/Danny Kaye, Atom/Young Paul Newman, Shining Knight/John Cleese, Capt. Boomerang/Ron Jeremy.
Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:37
kimotag
Forum Member

Glyn Leach based his version of Marvelman on Paul Newman, whereas Alan Davies used Samantha Fox's face as a base for his version. Recurring character Saturnyne was based upon Des O'connor's daughter Karen, who appeared in a couple of Adam and the Ants videos.
kimotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:42
Gulftastic
Forum Member

John Constantine was based on Sting (the singer, not the wrestler).
Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 00:36
alternate
Forum Member

Some artists just draw like that. Once you have heard that Eminem was used as the "face" in Wanted you can't unsee it and ruins the whole book
alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 01:22
jackbell
Forum Member

I once read that Captain (Shazam!) Marvel was based on Fred Macmurray and Mary Marvel was based on Judy Garland.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 23:09
LiamTheGreat
Forum Member

a few artists at Marvel, during the 80's used Timothy Dalton (when he was in Flash Gordon) as picture reference for Tony Stark, I believe
LiamTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 19:51
frightlever
Forum Member

whereas Alan Davies used Samantha Fox's face as a base for his version. Recurring character Saturnyne was based upon Des O'connor's daughter Karen, who appeared in a couple of Adam and the Ants videos.
I can't find anything on the internet that confirms this but I really want it to be true. Can you point me in the direction of some corroborating evidence?
frightlever is offline   Reply With Quote