Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Reaction after first Harry Potter book

Old 16-04-2012, 13:34
unpretty
Forum Member

I discovered the books in 2000, when GOF was released. I had somehow missed the hype but started reading book 4 to my little sister and quickly got hooked myself. JK Rowling isn't a perfect writer, but she does have a gift to draw you into this made-up world and make you empathise with the characters.

There will always be a backlash against anything popular and the initially mediocre films didn't help the reputation of the books (Chris Columbus was a really poor choice of director) but I do think the HP books will be considered classics in years to come, even if they are 'only' children's books.
unpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-04-2012, 13:46
MrsWatermelon
Forum Member

I read Chamber of Secrets first. My mum bought it for me and didn't realise it was part of a series. I loved it and bought Philosopher's Stone and then Prisoner of Azkaban when it came out. I was either nine or 10 when I read COS but I still read and enjoy them now.
MrsWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:43
Smithy1204
Forum Member

I remember it being very popular when I was in Y5 at primary school (aged 9/10), which would have been 1999 I think. Apparently the first book was published in 1997, with the next two in 1998 and 1999.

I think we read them as a family from the beginning, but my mum was a primary school teacher so I think she knew of it very early anyway. My mum, dad, brother and I used to lie on my parents' bed and read it together as a family before bed. I loved the first few books though, up until about the fourth or fifth book I think. Azkaban was always my favourite.
Smithy1204 is offline   Reply With Quote