Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Using the new iPad outside the home

Old 07-04-2012, 00:52
Franglais
Forum Member

I wanted to show off my new iPad to my friends at a pub last night. The only wi-fi service available there was iCloud. Linked onto that ok but could not use iPlayer nor Face Time.

I'm a bit mystified was to why this was.

Anybody know? My pad's 32g wi-fi only.

Thanks
Franglais is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-04-2012, 00:57
Gormond
Forum Member

I assume you mean The Cloud and not iCloud.

There is no technical reason why the iPad wouldn't work with those services, I assume it much have been blocked by the WiFi provider.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27
Franglais
Forum Member

Thanks Gormond!

I've just googled it and it seems I have to register first with The Cloud first before I can use them? Also is it a subscription (i.e. paying) service?

Thanks for pointing out my error with the correct name!

Chers
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21
zmikeo

I use the free cloud and it is available at quite a few places like macDonalds pizzza express and a few shopping centres.
More places but this is the few I have found so far.
zmikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53
Pretinama

You can use the iPad out of your home. If you're using The Cloud (a wifi internet service) then you will just need to register/log in (if they still ask for that). But you cannot use iCloud (Apple's online services) unless you are connected to the internet.
Pretinama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:04
Gormond
Forum Member

Thanks Gormond!

I've just googled it and it seems I have to register first with The Cloud first before I can use them? Also is it a subscription (i.e. paying) service?

Thanks for pointing out my error with the correct name!

Chers
NP, yeah if your using it in a restaurant or pub it will likely be free. I have used it in Witherspoons and Macdonalds in the past without charge.

If your out and about it will cost you to connect to The Cloud unless you subscribe to a service that offers it free such as Sky Broadband.
Old 07-04-2012, 13:39
Pretinama

The Cloud is free is a huge number of places from Pret a Manger to Bars and pubs. It's a decent service. I think it has been recently bought by Sky.
Pretinama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 21:51
Franglais
Forum Member

I just registered with The Cloud. Not yet within range of a Cloud outlet. Odd thing is after getting the "welcome" email from them there is no The Cloud icon on my iPad desktop nor any trace of it anywhere on my tablet to even enable me to delete it later should I wish to do so.

Odd or what? Still not sure if it's free or not without any means of checking it's status......hmmmm.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12
notachance
Forum Member

I just registered with The Cloud. Not yet within range of a Cloud outlet. Odd thing is after getting the "welcome" email from them there is no The Cloud icon on my iPad desktop nor any trace of it anywhere on my tablet to even enable me to delete it later should I wish to do so.

Odd or what? Still not sure if it's free or not without any means of checking it's status......hmmmm.
Have you downloaded the app from the market or app store?
notachance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:34
grumpyoldbat
Forum Member

To connect to The Cloud when you're in a place that has it as a free wifi hotspot, you just need to make sure that wifi is On in Settings, then it should detect a hotspot. When you're there, open Safari (the web browser) and login to your account to get online.
grumpyoldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 13:51
alanwarwic
Forum Member

It works in the same way as a Netbook.
Tesco give free internet though I don't recommend their coffee.

I just tether mine to my phone. (non iPad)
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15
muddipaws
Forum Member

I weighed up the options of availability of basically free WiFi as opposed to 3G. I thought I really don't need 3G. So yes I went and signed up to Vodafone for the iPad at 7.50 per month rolling. So I get connection mostly anywhere and I have not even got anywhere near my limit

It's easier and more convenient
muddipaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19
skunkboy69

My friend came round to show off his to me and I had to take the router off the computer desk and sit it right next to him on the settee to make a connection
skunkboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 15:14
Franglais
Forum Member

My friend came round to show off his to me and I had to take the router off the computer desk and sit it right next to him on the settee to make a connection

That's interesting. With my BT router sat on the floor in the corner of my lounge I am able to connect up with my iPad and laptop anywhere else in my flat. Any visitors who I have here can link up with their laptops too - even outside in the garden. What router do you have?
Old 10-04-2012, 19:55
zmikeo

Well if I so wish I can connect to a neighbours internet and he is about 5 houses away
zmikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:13
Gormond
Forum Member

Sounds faulty to me.
Old 17-04-2012, 14:55
Prodigy71
Forum Member

So, has anyone used The Cloud on iPad out and about...generally what's the quality like on Sky Go,etc...I know it will vary depending on source and so on...just curious.
Prodigy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:29
Ben1980
Forum Member

So, has anyone used The Cloud on iPad out and about...generally what's the quality like on Sky Go,etc...I know it will vary depending on source and so on...just curious.
I watched the Arsenal Wigan game last night whilst waiting for a train in Leeds station. .

I was connected to wifi through The Cloud in Wetherspoons and the quality was great no lag or anything. Only difference was a slight delay in loading the video for the first time when compared to wifi at home.

I have seen people use FaceTime as well in the same area and that seemed to be ok but cannot say from personal use.
Ben1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:45
skunkboy69

That's interesting. With my BT router sat on the floor in the corner of my lounge I am able to connect up with my iPad and laptop anywhere else in my flat. Any visitors who I have here can link up with their laptops too - even outside in the garden. What router do you have?
It's a homehub 2.No probs with mobiles or consoles though.
skunkboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 21:19
robcole2009
Forum Member

If you have sky broadband at home you can download a sky the cloud app to get free cloud wifi, you just log in with your sky Id.
robcole2009 is offline   Reply With Quote