Adult-only holidays.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    What's naff about them?

We went on our first adult-only holiday last year in Kefalonia, having spent years gearing our holidays around our 2 sons at hotels with kids clubs, Walt Disney World etc etc. and chose a Thomson couples holiday so that we could have a nice relaxing holiday.

We are by no means middle class (or smug, lol!) :rolleyes:
    Each to their own. I don't like package holidays but if you enjoy them. Why dies it matter what anybody else thinks?
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »
    Each to their own. I don't like package holidays but if you enjoy them. Why dies it matter what anybody else thinks?

It doesn't matter really, I just wanted to point out that people who go on them aren't necessarily smug and middle class. I'm perfectly normal (yes, really!)

The points you were making apply to all package holidays not specifically couples holidays.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep...but I think the whole concept of adults only or couples only hotels beyond naff anyway. I like to actually visit the countries I go to rather than stay stuck in some kind of exclusive resort with smug middle class couples and the only locals there, are there to serve you..

Good luck doing that in the Caribbean, where most of the Sandals resorts are based. The reason people don't go trekking around the islands on their own is because in many places it isn't actually safe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Good luck doing that in the Caribbean, where most of the Sandals resorts are based. The reason people don't go trekking around the islands on their own is because in many places it isn't actually safe.

Well I have not yet been to the Caribbean but would love too. As someone whose last holiday was in Mali just a few months before the recent coup and also went alone to north of the country where Al Queada are present, I tend not to be easily scared.
    I feel no need to be confined to resorts just because they would much prefer to have my tourist money rather than see it spread out amongst the local population. Nor to I find places that have a lower GDP than Western Europe scary.

As I said before each to their own. Some people just want some sun and a nice beach for their holiday. That is good for them. I don't like that and much exploring a country and meeting local people. Anyway all this is waayyyy off topic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep...but I think the whole concept of adults only or couples only hotels beyond naff anyway. I like to actually visit the countries I go to rather than stay stuck in some kind of exclusive resort with smug middle class couples and the only locals there, are there to serve you.

It's not naff at all. We chose to go to Jamaica on an adults only holiday and it was perfect. We were there on our honeymoon and fancied two weeks of doing absolutely nothing and being well looked after.

I find your comment "smug middle class" rather insulting.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have not yet been to the Caribbean but would love too. As someone whose last holiday was in Mali just a few months before the recent coup and also went alone to north of the country where Al Queada are present, I tend not to be easily scared.
    I feel no need to be confined to resorts just because they would much prefer to have my tourist money rather than see it spread out amongst the local population. Nor to I find places that have a lower GDP than Western Europe scary.

As I said before each to their own. Some people just want some sun and a nice beach for their holiday. That is good for them. I don't like that and much exploring a country and meeting local people. Anyway all this is waayyyy off topic.

You should try Grenada if you do go to the Caribbean. They have an actual rainforest in the middle of the island and you can hear the exotic birds calling. It is actually one of the islands that is safe to go around on your own as it happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy70 wrote: »
    I find your comment "smug middle class" rather insulting.

OK I'm sorry for saying 'smug'. Though it is a rather mild word. And something which most people can be at times (including me:o) But what is insulting with being called middle class. I am middle class and not in the slightest bit embarrased about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    You should try Grenada if you do go to the Caribbean. They have an actual rainforest in the middle of the island and you can hear the exotic birds calling. It is actually one of the islands that is safe to go around on your own as it happens.

Thanks I might even stay in a resort but only for a day:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK I'm sorry for saying 'smug'. Though it is a rather mild word. And something which most people can be at times (including me:o) But what is insulting with being called middle class. I am middle class and not in the slightest bit embarrased about that.

:)

So am I but why bring class into it at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing's wrong with being middle class but you can't just assume it's just middle class people who go on Couples holidays as we're working class and we go on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing's wrong with being middle class but you can't just assume it's just middle class people who go on Couples holidays as we're working class and we go on them.

Do you spend a little too much time at the bar and a little too much time in the sun??????

Plenty of couples only hotels in Crete BTW. Elounda is very coupley
  • joijijoiji Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep...but I think the whole concept of adults only or couples only hotels beyond naff anyway. I like to actually visit the countries I go to rather than stay stuck in some kind of exclusive resort with smug middle class couples and the only locals there, are there to serve.

For VERY PERSONAL reasons we have chosen to go to an adult only hotel this year. We are not smug and neither do we make sweeping judgements or statements about another persons choices.
    . I don't like package holidays but if you enjoy them. Why dies it matter what anybody else thinks?

It obviously matters to you as you felt the need to make comments and wrongly judge people you do not know. The OP asked advice/ info on booking a adult only holiday not your views on them or on the people who choose them.

Interestingly no one has made any sweeping comments, judgements Or negative comments about your personal choice of holiday, yet you would assume all us smug people would.:rolleyes:

I agree with you that reading your comments you do come across as smug but disagree with your view that most people are smug. In my opinion smug people use that as an excuse for their own behaviour.:sleep:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Sandals do same sex now.

Only because we moaned and banks refused to do business with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joiji wrote: »

I agree with you that reading your comments you do come across as smug but disagree with your view that most people are smug. In my opinion smug people use that as an excuse for their own behaviour.:sleep:

YAWN :yawn: You are obviously hyper sensitive to care what a stranger thinks of adult only holidays just because you once went one.
    The comment wasn't even addressed at you or anyone. Yet you think you can make personal comments at me. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornslippy wrote: »
    Do you spend a little too much time at the bar and a little too much time in the sun??????

Plenty of couples only hotels in Crete BTW. Elounda is very coupley

Haha you couldn't be more wrong! I hardly drink except for the odd malibu and sit under a parasol as I burn really easily :eek::D

We are very much off topic now though!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only because we moaned and banks refused to do business with them.

Something I'm interested to know - now that same sex couples CAN go to Sandals resorts, do many actually WANT to?

If I was banned from somewhere because of my sexual orientation, I'd just think sod 'em. And wouldn't give them my money. I'd go somewhere I was more welcome.
    Forum Member
    Something I'm interested to know - now that same sex couples CAN go to Sandals resorts, do many actually WANT to?

If I was banned from somewhere because of my sexual orientation, I'd just think sod 'em. And wouldn't give them my money. I'd go somewhere I was more welcome.

It depends if they know the homophobic history or not. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep...but I think the whole concept of adults only or couples only hotels beyond naff anyway. I like to actually visit the countries I go to rather than stay stuck in some kind of exclusive resort with smug middle class couples and the only locals there, are there to serve you.

Er, you CAN actually leave the hotel if you want to?

Personally, I prefer my private hotel time (for which I've often paid a lot of money) to be uninterrupted by screaming children. When I'm on holiday, my hotel is my home and my retreat.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to get away from kids then just go on a holiday that doesn't appeal to families or children like relaxing spa hotels or a Warner weekend in Scotland and stay away from package holidays in Spain or Europe or these fun in the sun all inclusives. Try Sandals, Kuoni or Saga for an idea of hotels that cater for just adults. Basically you have to go to places that kids and families would find boring that doesn't have facilities for children. Also we love city breaks like New York, Paris, Rome, Boston, Thiland, Toronto etc. You tend to find city breaks don't attract families because cities don't appeal to kids. Also the more expensive resorts don't appeal to families because families mainly look for places which are cheap when you've got 2 or more kids to pay for. Basically families just look for places where they can let their kids run about having fun and allow kids all areas like the bars at night. You could also see into booking your own villa or apartment if you want something more exclusive. You can still avoid kids by going outside Europe to places like the Carribean, Mauritius, St Lucia, Kenya, Egypt, the far east. In my experience you tend to get most families and kids in places like Greece, Crete, Spain, Canaries and surrounding islands or places that deal in package or all inclusive. Places which are a cheap short flight away as families don't like taking kids long haul if they can help it.

But one word of warning, wherever you go unless you live in a protective bubble you're gonna run into kids at some point when you venture out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends if they know the homophobic history or not. Personally, I wouldn't bother with them.

It's got nothing to do with homophobia. Places ban same sex couples to stop all male groups like stag parties and football supporters invading their resort and spoiling things for everyone else. This is not likely to happen with couples and families. I very much doubt they do it because they don't like to see two fellas walking round holding hands.
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with homophobia. Places ban same sex couples to stop all male groups like stag parties and football supporters invading their resort and spoiling things for everyone else. This is not likely to happen with couples and families. I very much doubt they do it because they don't like to see two fellas walking round holding hands.

It is blatent homophobia. They also bandied the idea about that the heterosexist narrative was worth more and did not promote equality.

Ken Livingstone agrees with me. He took on Sandals and banned their homophobic adverts on the Underground.

These days they can be done for sexual discrimation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is blatent homophobia. They also bandied the idea about that the heterosexist narrative was worth more and did not promote equality.

Ken Livingstone agrees with me. He took on Sandals and banned their homophobic adverts on the Underground.

These days they can be done for sexual discrimation.

I know of camp sites and bed and breakfasts that do the same thing but nothing to do with being gay. They do it to stop gangs of lads booking in on boozey weekends where families and couples are there for a peaceful holiday. I'm not saying it's right, just saying why they do it.

You could equally argue that banning kids and families and making a resort exclusively for adults is equally agist.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    Sandals do same sex now.

Jeez, how modern. Gold stars all-round and an hon mention in the Guardian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I know of camp sites and bed and breakfasts that do the same thing but nothing to do with being gay.

There is a big difference. Large groups are sometimes banned not (same sex) couples. and same and mixed gender groups are on a equal footing.
    Whilst Sandal allowed mixed gender couples but not same gender couples. Clear discrimination against homosexual couples.

B&Bs and Campsites in the UK who do ban same sex couples would fall foul of anti discrimination legislation and would get in to trouble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    What's naff about them?

We went on our first adult-only holiday last year in Kefalonia, having spent years gearing our holidays around our 2 sons at hotels with kids clubs, Walt Disney World etc etc. and chose a Thomson couples holiday so that we could have a nice relaxing holiday.

We are by no means middle class (or smug, lol!) :rolleyes:

I went on my first "couples only holiday" last year to Jamaica and compared to all the lively or touristy ones I've been on, this was by the far the most relaxing holiday! There is nothing snobby about it and we're going back to stay at the Tower Isle for our honeymoon in Jamaica! {jumps with joy in excitement}! It was that amazing, we were looking at wedding packages in Jamaica, but decided we'd enjoy a honeymoon out there more!

What were Thomson like? We booked ours with Couples Resorts and they were really good.