Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Media Moguls/ The Murdochs/ News International/ BSkyB: Why The BBC Is So Important...

Old 27-04-2012, 17:33
mikw
Forum Member

It is still a considerable amount of money for the show and it leaves a lot of f1 fans having to pay for Sky to watch or miss out on half the races. It all could have been fta but BBC went ratings chasing which it shouldn't be doing imo.
They were trying to deliver value for money for their Saturday Night Audience, which is very large, and always has been.

It's worked and it won't cost the headline 22m when all is said and done.

It really wasn't there fault they had their budget cut, if they hadn't then the F1 deal would have run it's full course.

After which, well - it's not exactly a secret that Sky wanted it, it may have gone off FTA forever.
mikw is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-04-2012, 17:36
miles19740
Inactive Member

...but free to air needs to be protected for the good of the UK puplic
Here, here...especially the BBC!
miles19740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 17:36
mersey70
Forum Member

No I don't think it is possible but it is what Rubert Murdoch think's, my point is he will not want to sell his share's in what he see's as his company, I am sorry I got your point wrong on another post but you did say the free to air brigade I take your point about pay tv but free to air needs to be protected for the good of the UK puplic

I agree but there cannot possibly be any stronger protection for free to air television than a Licence Fee that guarantees multi billion pound funding, it absolutely trumps any legislation.

I am all too aware of the freeze on fee increases but let's not forget that the BBC is still incredibly well funded and ITV are easily the dominant player in advertising supported TV.

I think the internet is a bigger long term threat to free to air TV than Pay TV.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 17:44
Dan's Dad
Forum Member

.... no one has ever had to pay for ITV .... on satellite.
My ITV region is Yorkshire East - my Freesat telly gives me Yorkshire West, on account of Yorkshire East being encrypted --

according to BSkyB proprietary encryption.

The telly is equipped with a conditional access card reading facility, in accordance with EU regulations;
and yet I am only able to receive Yorkshire East through the use of BSkyB proprietary equipment --

which I would have to buy / rent / or otherwise acquire at a cost.

The BBC gives me news for Lincoln, BSkyB's attitude makes me watch news for Leeds on the other regionalised PSB.
Dan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 17:48
mersey70
Forum Member

My ITV region is Yorkshire East - my Freesat telly gives me Yorkshire West, on account of Yorkshire East being encrypted --

according to BSkyB proprietary encryption.

The telly is equipped with a conditional access card reading facility, in accordance with EU regulations;
and yet I am only able to receive Yorkshire East through the use of BSkyB proprietary equipment --

which I would have to buy / rent / or otherwise acquire at a cost.

The BBC gives me news for Lincoln, BSkyB's attitude makes me watch news about Leeds on the other regionalised PSB.
That has sbsolutely nothing to do with BSkyB.

It is merely that unlike the BBC the ITV regions are not all carried on a satellite with a UK spotbeam which allows the broadcasters to transmit without encryption. Because of rights issues ITV has to encrypt the regions carried on a widebeam. You cannot expect ITV to use yet another encryption system for a small number of viewers.

Hopefully it shouldn't be an issue for much longer though as more spotbeam capacity is now online.
Old 27-04-2012, 17:51
Dan's Dad
Forum Member

That has sbsolutely nothing to do with BSkyB.
It is everything to do with BSkyB as they do not release decryption algorithms to be used in generic CAMs.
Old 27-04-2012, 17:55
mersey70
Forum Member

It is everything to do with BSkyB as they do not release decryption algorithms to be used in generic CAMs.
It isn't going to be an issue for much longer.

But releasing that information to be used in Generic CAMS, no why would they want to do that?
Old 27-04-2012, 17:56
spiney2
Forum Member

murdochs: why the bbc is so impotent.
spiney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 18:10
Dan's Dad
Forum Member

But releasing that information to be used in Generic CAMS, no why would they want to do that?
It's not a matter of whether they should want to -

as a part of DSO, they should be obliged to.

Drifting away from derek500's assertion, tho'.
Old 27-04-2012, 18:17
mersey70
Forum Member

It's not a matter of whether they should want to -

as a part of DSO, they should be obliged to.

Drifting away from derek500's assertion, tho'.
Should or are obliged to?

Anyway It won't matter soon.
Old 27-04-2012, 18:23
Dan's Dad
Forum Member

Should or are obliged to?
should be obliged to, as in a regional card should be available on request, to make a FreeSat option a fully viable one in afflicted regions.
Anyway It won't matter soon.
because

a) wide beam soon to be abandoned

b) Regional ITV in rapid decline

c) increased DTT coverage lessens DSat fill-in need?
Old 27-04-2012, 18:47
mersey70
Forum Member

should be obliged to, as in a regional card should be available on request, to make a FreeSat option a fully viable one in afflicted regions.because

a) wide beam soon to be abandoned

b) Regional ITV in rapid decline

c) increased DTT coverage lessens DSat fill-in need?
A.

Although the other two points are true too.
Old 28-04-2012, 17:40
ds_reader
Forum Member

I think my job is done derek500 saying something against the Murdock's/ NEWS CORP you are not a yank are you derek500 time for a short holiday for me
Yes I agree an excellent job of demonstrating your lack of knowledge and understanding.

Sky is a British PLC.
ds_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 17:44
Transient1

Yes I agree an excellent job of demonstrating your lack of knowledge and understanding.

Sky is a British PLC.
News Corps is an American company. Perhaps an apology is in order.
Transient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 17:48
ds_reader
Forum Member

should be obliged to, as in a regional card should be available on request, to make a FreeSat option a fully viable one in afflicted regions.because
Receivers and cards are readily available!
Old 28-04-2012, 17:50
ds_reader
Forum Member

News Corps is an American company. Perhaps an apology is in order.
Sky is a British company!

I'm happy to receiver an apology from you.
Old 28-04-2012, 17:54
Transient1

Sky is a British company!

I'm happy to receiver an apology from you.
Peter didn't say Sky he said News Corps, which is American. Perhaps you should apologise.
Transient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 18:32
Dan's Dad
Forum Member

and yet I am only able to receive Yorkshire East through the use of BSkyB proprietary equipment.
should be obliged to, as in a regional card should be available on request, to make a FreeSat option a fully viable one in afflicted regions.
Receivers and cards are readily available!
Should you care to provide me with an address to which I, and everyone else in this position, can make a request for a card to decode
ITV Yorkshire East in my existing receiver, without more expenditure than postage, then I shall concede the point to both you and derek500.

You do know what 'BSkyB proprietary equipment' means?
Old 28-04-2012, 19:21
peter05
Forum Member

I think my job is done derek500 saying something against the Murdock's/ NEWS CORP you are not a yank are you derek500 time for a short holiday for me

Sky is a British PLC.
Peter didn't say Sky he said News Corps, which is American. Perhaps you should apologise.
Can not spend long on this as I am on holiday, but what I was asking was is derek500 a yank as he seems a bit of a turn coat as far as the Murdoch's are concerned, but may be ds reader does not know about the American cival war
peter05 is offline   Reply With Quote