Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Newspapers to die out in 10 years

Old 26-04-2012, 21:57
rasbo
Inactive Member

According to Murdoch.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-10-years.html

Do you think people will actually still buy print media in years to come?

Rupert Murdoch has predicted that newspapers will die out within the next two decades.

The News Corporation chairman, who owns The Sun and The Times in the UK, believes that the internet has had a "disruptive" influence on print media.

Speaking at the Leveson Inquiry, he said: "Every newspaper has had a very good run... It's coming to an end as a result of these disruptive technologies.

"I think we will have both [internet and print news] for quite a while, certainly ten years, some people say five. I'd be more inclined to say 20, but 20 means very small circulations."

However, Murdoch warned that the press will be destroyed by an over-reaction to the phone hacking scandal, adding: "I think you have a danger of regulating, putting regulations in place which will mean there will be no press in 10 years to regulate.

"We're dealing in a very complex world with disruptive technologies, and we're suffering at the hand of those, so when it comes to regulation, I just beg for some care. A varied press guarantees democracy and we want democracy rather than autocracy."

The 81-year-old media tycoon, in facing questions today, admitted that there was a "cover-up" at the now-defunct News of the World.
rasbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-04-2012, 16:44
johnnybgoode83
Inactive Member

"disruptive technologies" - What an idiot. These "disruptive technologies" have brought more information to people who would not otherwise have access to it.

I can't even comment on the topic of newspapers dying out because I am seething with rage at Murdoch's ignorance.

The sooner this dinosaur gets out of the way the better.
johnnybgoode83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:02
this_is_me
Forum Member

"disruptive technologies" - What an idiot. These "disruptive technologies" have brought more information to people who would not otherwise have access to it.

I can't even comment on the topic of newspapers dying out because I am seething with rage at Murdoch's ignorance.

The sooner this dinosaur gets out of the way the better.
The phrase "disruptive technology" is business jargon and Murdoch used it quite correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_innovation
this_is_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:13
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

"...the press will be destroyed by an over-reaction to the phone hacking scandal."

All the more reason to hate Murdoch for bankrolling it.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:55
DANCE OF DEATH

Newspapers have been dying for years. I was hoping that Murdoch was going to put all his newspapers behind a paywall. That way we don't have to put up with the crap that they print.
DANCE OF DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 22:53
Wetherby
Forum Member

The Guardian and The Observer will be lucky to last another 10 months.
Wetherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 23:53
Peter the Great
Forum Member

The Guardian and The Observer will be lucky to last another 10 months.
It does very well online though. So sorry to dissapoint you Mr. Murdoch.
Peter the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:13
Mr Teacake
Forum Member

The rise of kindles and ipads may be a saving grace to some extent.
Mr Teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 08:34
ftv
Forum Member

I wouldn't believe everything Murdoch says - a few years ago he invested 600 million in new printing plants in London, Liverpool and Glasgow saying print was the way ahead !
ftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 11:16
Bluemotel
Forum Member

Newspapers are changing but I do not see them dying out qute yet. The market might thin out a bit more but I feel there is a hardcore readership who are very keen on this format of news. Just look at the discussions about the Sun and NOTW !

Kindles do some things very well but development is needed before they are the product they could be. Also, I doubt if I will ever need to worry about anyone mugging me for a 'paper !!
Bluemotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 12:50
ftv
Forum Member

Newspapers have been ''dying'' since the advent of radio and were ''dying'' again in the late 50s as television spread across the UK - at a time when some newspapers were enjoying their highest-ever circulations (News of the World touching 8 million). I'd agree TV killed off the Saturday sports papers (greens and pinks) simply because they couldn't compete with the speed of the results service.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:25
PhilH36
Forum Member

Sunderland Echo still produces a Football Echo every weekend,I think there are one or two others left but can't remember which cities.
PhilH36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:08
Bluemotel
Forum Member

Local newspapers are a slightly different matter, several of those have run in to difficulty already.
Bluemotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:10
stud u like
Forum Member

I love the new interactive newspapers and magazines. They show great imagination.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13
ftv
Forum Member

Sunderland Echo still produces a Football Echo every weekend,I think there are one or two others left but can't remember which cities.
Sheffield I believe - don't know of any others.One of the most famous - Ireland's Saturday Night published by the Belfast Telegraph - closed in 2008 blaming the Internet for its fall in circulation.