Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 10:40
huggzy
Forum Member

Beiste's story. A lot of people are saying this came out of the blue, but as the actual incident came out of nowhere too, why is that a problem?
I've been thinking about this a little bit over the week and I think paraphrasing a quote from Futurama describes it best...

Fry is talking about what makes a good TV show and what audiences want and he says that "clever things make the audience feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared"...

The Beiste story came from literally nowhere. There was no foreshadowing, no build up, nothing noticable which I assume is an artistic choice based on the fact that just "one day" Cooter was abusive and Shannon showed up with a black eye (it could happen to anyone of us in our day to day lives or the lives of someone we encounter). It is supposed to be shocking, it is supposed to make you think "wait...hang on a minute?! what?!"

I think the fact that we hadn't seen Beiste for some episodes made it slightly more "out of the blue" than as if it had happened to a character we'd been seeing a lot more.

I'm no theatre student but one of my flatmates was in my first year of Uni and is "Stanislavsky" a thing? The whole "make your audience feel weird"/"alienate the audience" theory. What is important is that Glee follows up on it, even if it becomes a bigger story next year then that is fine! There are only a few episodes left and taking away time from leaving characters for a new story arch is unwise but they should at least reference it once whether its verbally or say Will walks into the sports department and Shannon is at her desk maybe pressing her rib and wincing a little bit and looks really shocked/flustered when Will walks in (as if to imply shes been injured there...) or something similar where we can see a bruise or a bruise is pointed out to us via framing...Otherwise the story comes off as a one episode throw away and to maintain the integrity of the storytelling, just take 5 seconds to reference it again...
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39
Cadiva
Forum Member

There's nothing to say Cooter will continue to abuse Shannon actually. It's as likely to have been a one off incident as it is to being the start of an abusing relationship. How they deal with the fall out of her going back to it will make the difference.

I know someone whose husband was physically abusive to her just once, although in that case he threw something rather than hit her, and he went immediately to get counselling for his temper.
I know someone else whose husband was verbally abusive during drink and it took her four years to leave him.
Every situation is different.
Old 06-05-2012, 15:36
kiteflyer
Forum Member

Having known friends who have experienced Domestic Violence and have had the courage to walk away, I can tell you it can most definitely come out the blue. For both of them, right up until they got married, everything was great. After the wedding, the man they married changed all of sudden. I think Glee has (despite no seeing the episode but having read about it) have handle as realistically as they could, through the sudden appearance of it, to the surprise of the friends. It certainly reflects the experience I have of it.
I watched this episode and could totally relate to it. Not with violence within my marriage but physical and emotional abuse growing up. Last year I plucked up the courage to tell someone about it and they were shocked because you become quite adept at hiding the hurt. You don't have to have bruises to hurt. The line about not knowing what goes on behind closed doors is so true as is the fact that in lots of cases everyone outwith the home thinks that the person who is doing the abusing is the nicest person you could ever meet. Also, I wanted to cry when Coach Beiste said that she was scared that no-one would ever love her hence the reason for her going back to Cooter. Something that I am sure most people in this situation have thought and said and did.
Old 06-05-2012, 15:50
jenilou88
Forum Member

Potential spoiler about the finale

Spoiler
Old 06-05-2012, 19:54
konofilius
Forum Member

Promo of Promosaurus episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AbtXmn3Himc
Old 06-05-2012, 21:29
crazybutterflyx
Forum Member

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/04/gl...clusive-video/

Dinosaur performance. Dont think it's been posted?

edit and a Rachel one too!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Glee-Vid...e-1046972.aspx
crazybutterflyx is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 07-05-2012, 13:44
huggzy
Forum Member

For those who may have missed the 30 second previews (I know I prefer them!), here are the ones from episode 3x20 - Props:

Spoiler

It'll be interesting to see how the songs are staged what with this being the body swap episode...Personally I adore the first one on that list. I'm a big fan of that song and a fan of the original artist. I've said it before that I love Glee vocal swapping songs because they instantly make them different and because the two vocalists on the track are quite different to the original artist, it's awesome. Plus, it's more fun to sing along with it when its more in my key...

With only 3 tracks it looks like this is going to be a very "story" based episode which is great and makes a better use of the plot threads running through this episode rather than bogging it down with 8 songs and no jokes/story progression
Old 07-05-2012, 17:08
lmddawson
Forum Member

Some new songs are out for 3X21. Not loving Edge Of Glory, the original is FAR superior.
Edge of Glory: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/e...-glory/s-D1N5v
We Are The Champions: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/w...mpions/s-s7Brt
I Won't Give Up: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/i...ive-up/s-NkXXQ
lmddawson is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 07-05-2012, 17:34
huggzy
Forum Member

Some new songs are out for 3X21. Not loving Edge Of Glory, the original is FAR superior.
Edge of Glory: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/e...-glory/s-D1N5v
We Are The Champions: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/w...mpions/s-s7Brt
I Won't Give Up: http://soundcloud.com/gleethemusic/i...ive-up/s-NkXXQ
Thanks for posting these The inclusion of WatC means we are getting closer to the GR(ToyL) preview and my super nervousness...You just know it's going to be Will singing it or something instead of what I want but ah well, these things happen...

I disagree about EoG though. There are some little flairs in that which make it really really good. I don't know about "better" but it's certainly not a disappointment.

I hated the Troubletones storyline because it meant the ND were divided but I do think it's a great way to show off Santana and Mercedes a bit more. With the inclusion of Quinn and Tina, it's basically the "No Rachel Berrys" club...which is fair enough and something tells me Rachel wouldn't care.

I'm guessing the plan across Nationals and Showcase is to show off as many vocalists as possible. No doubt this is just showing off these 4 (I can imagine some Brittany dance showing off here too (Wonder if they will take the Cheerios TT girls along with them (doubt it...)))
Old 07-05-2012, 18:04
xxLoopy_louxx
Forum Member

Thanks for posting these The inclusion of WatC means we are getting closer to the GR(ToyL) preview and my super nervousness...You just know it's going to be Will singing it or something instead of what I want but ah well, these things happen...

I disagree about EoG though. There are some little flairs in that which make it really really good. I don't know about "better" but it's certainly not a disappointment.

I hated the Troubletones storyline because it meant the ND were divided but I do think it's a great way to show off Santana and Mercedes a bit more. With the inclusion of Quinn and Tina, it's basically the "No Rachel Berrys" club...which is fair enough and something tells me Rachel wouldn't care.

I'm guessing the plan across Nationals and Showcase is to show off as many vocalists as possible. No doubt this is just showing off these 4 (I can imagine some Brittany dance showing off here too (Wonder if they will take the Cheerios TT girls along with them (doubt it...)))
I think the Cheerios TT girls do go. I remember seeing a pic somewhere of girls dressed in McKinleys costumes for Regionals and it wasnt the cast. I could be wrong though and remembering something else. I hope I am wrong, it would be a bit ridiculous for those girls to go when they dont even go to a glee club meeting.

Love the songs though.
Old 07-05-2012, 18:22
huggzy
Forum Member

I think the Cheerios TT girls do go. I remember seeing a pic somewhere of girls dressed in McKinleys costumes for Regionals and it wasnt the cast. I could be wrong though and remembering something else. I hope I am wrong, it would be a bit ridiculous for those girls to go when they dont even go to a glee club meeting.

Love the songs though.
Well it looks like more and more are appearing on Soundcloud

Spoiler

So it would appear that Pinterest are working with Glee as part of a promo thing? I have no idea how the site works but it appears to be like a "repost this so many times and we unlock the next song"...Every time a song gets unlocked the amount required for the next one increases in increments of 200...

http://pinterest.com/gleethemusic/the-graduation-album/

Apparently they are building up with GR(ToyL) being the last freaking one! (Of course...grr!)...
Old 07-05-2012, 19:51
revans33
Forum Member

http://gleezone.tumblr.com/

Stills from props
Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 19:59
huggzy
Forum Member

http://gleezone.tumblr.com/

Stills from props
Spoiler
This is what I was saying the other day. It's a really easy episode to do once you've established the characters enough to understand why it would be funny...

Spoiler

Big fan of Matt's changed hairstyle in his photo though...much less curly and very amused by what they've tried to do with Joe's hair...!

Spoiler

And sorry to "go there" but how freaking sexy is Chris Colfer in that photo with him and Amber...oh my glee! Kind of a serious looking photo...wonder whats going down?

Damn I can't wait any longer for the last 4 episodes!! but then I don't want them to end!
Old 07-05-2012, 20:13
MrEdgarFinchley
Forum Member

The Cheerios will be there anyway, they're usually to be seen moonlighting as part of Vocal Adrenaline.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:19
konofilius
Forum Member

Ok so from 19th Episode I'm loving only 'I love u like a love song" and a bit "Take my breath away". From 20th episode I adore I was here by Lea and not quite feel Edge of Glory. Hopefully the other songs will be better
Old 07-05-2012, 20:28
huggzy
Forum Member

Well Mr. Schuester got a solo on the graduation album!

Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 20:35
jenilou88
Forum Member

And sorry to "go there" but how freaking sexy is Chris Colfer in that photo with him and Amber...oh my glee! Kind of a serious looking photo...wonder whats going down?
One site has this caption below (probably not too spoilerific but I'll use tags just in case)
Spoiler

Still seems quite vague though...

The photos for props are pretty funny, although I wish we could see them all - I really want to see the
Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 20:39
wildbenji64

Well Mr. Schuester got a solo on the graduation album!

Spoiler
Love it, reminds me of his Leaving on a Jet Plane which remains one of my favourite covers, I still think Matthew Morrison has the best male voice on the show, it's such a same how bad his character's become.

Decided to watch the last three episodes, the body swap because it's one of those things you have to see not read about, nationals just because it airs right after, and the graduation because I want to see what's the plan for season 4 is.
Old 07-05-2012, 21:44
xxLoopy_louxx
Forum Member

Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 21:49
huggzy
Forum Member

After all my squeeing over the release of this song I've actually decided to avoid listening to it until the episode...I just wanted to know who was singing it.

Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 21:52
xxLoopy_louxx
Forum Member

After all my squeeing over the release of this song I've actually decided to avoid listening to it until the episode...I just wanted to know who was singing it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Old 07-05-2012, 22:19
konofilius
Forum Member

Yo, Choke had the LOWEST ratings in history. Only 6 mln in US. What the hec?!
Old 08-05-2012, 00:11
cfc86
Forum Member

I found the graduation album a huge disappointment. Only five songs I liked (I'm not counting We Are Young and School's Out).
Spoiler
For the last album of this season it sums up this season for me. A pile of wank.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32
Mr.Lavigne
Forum Member

Will Sky be showing the two hour episode?
Mr.Lavigne is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30
waterlooenders
Forum Member

Not sure whether to watch it at UK or US pace for the last few episodes.
I Go on Tumblr so spoilers may be a bit of a problem sadly.

The Graduation album is pretty good.

Closed Thread