Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

frozen baby onions - where from

Old 08-05-2012, 09:18
Abriel
Forum Member

On sat Kitchen the other week, ( Phil Davis was on)James mentioned that you could buy these "from the supermarket"

Anyone know which one?

And before anyone says it, I know you should do your own, it's just such a faff! Especially when daugher likes about 10 to herself
Abriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23
Utopian Girl
Forum Member

Didn't he use 'silverskin' ones that we usually see pickled and he stated that too? I know I was interested as I'd buy them aswell - but I live in South Wales and I do the rounds of supermarkets especially Tesco, Morrisons - and I don't think I've ever seen them. I've only ever seen the usual small & banana shallots, pickling onions, ready sliced onions - fresh.
I haven't even seen small silver skins fresh let alone frozen - I hate it when I can't find ingredients.
Utopian Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47
Abriel
Forum Member

Didn't he use 'silverskin' ones that we usually see pickled and he stated that too? I know I was interested as I'd buy them aswell - but I live in South Wales and I do the rounds of supermarkets especially Tesco, Morrisons - and I don't think I've ever seen them. I've only ever seen the usual small & banana shallots, pickling onions, ready sliced onions - fresh.
I haven't even seen small silver skins fresh let alone frozen - I hate it when I can't find ingredients.
I think they were silverskin, yes. Have looked on Sainsburys site and googled but cna't seem to find them. Antonio Carluccio said they were " a revelation" IIRC
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04
Utopian Girl
Forum Member

I think they were silverskin, yes. Have looked on Sainsburys site and googled but cna't seem to find them. Antonio Carluccio said they were " a revelation" IIRC
'a revelation'! I wish they'd reveal where from! they really would be a lovely ingredient to try, as I said earlier I'd buy them. Have you tried emailing the show? I bet it'll be Waitrose or some supermarket we don't have down here in SW.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02
Abriel
Forum Member

'a revelation'! I wish they'd reveal where from! they really would be a lovely ingredient to try, as I said earlier I'd buy them. Have you tried emailing the show? I bet it'll be Waitrose or some supermarket we don't have down here in SW.
Probably, we don't have one near us either
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10
stud u like
Forum Member

I have seen Silverskin pickled but not fresh.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14
Utopian Girl
Forum Member

I have seen Silverskin pickled but not fresh.
Yes, they're common pickled and my favourite - but apparently 'fresh' is the way forward. according to Saturday Kitchen anyway.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25
Thistledown
Forum Member

http://www.brake.co.uk/food/the-list...s/default.aspx
Thistledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 13:04
Smokeychan1
Forum Member

Unfortunately Brake is a very expensive wholesalers.

I am nipping out to Aldi and Asda in a bit, will have a look there for you Abriel.
Smokeychan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:49
Smokeychan1
Forum Member

Update: I was at the Aldi till before I remembered, so was unable to check. Sorry.

Asda only had frozen chopped onion.
Smokeychan1 is offline   Reply With Quote