Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 36)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,869
Administrator
I think Sweden has victory in the bag. The only chance and it's slight, is if the cuteness, warmth, back story of the Russian grannies pulls in the majority of televotes but even then I cannot see it being matched by the juries if they follow their brief so they will get a result like Italy last year. ESCDenmark has some of the best rehearsal videos (besides Eurovision.tv) as they use 2 cameras. Loreen does look odd sometimes in the long shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FsMjKCl3cw
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1653201

Comments

• Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      New thread! :D

I wonder how long it'll last....
    • Options
      Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Just in time for next week, although we'll probably go through another before next Tuesday

I'm going to say it now, I think Sweden is going to crash and burn. She's inaudible, her hand gestures get in the way of the song, and Sweden will be this year's France. I think it will struggle in televotes for those that haven't heard it before.
    • Options
      SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Just in time for next week, although we'll probably go through another before next Tuesday

I'm going to say it now, I think Sweden is going to crash and burn. She's inaudible, her hand gestures get in the way of the song, and Sweden will be this year's France. I think it will struggle in televotes for those that haven't heard it before.

She's not even singing half the lyrics! Rehearsals are just that. We need to see her semi final performance before we can judge properly.
    • Options
      hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      YAY new thread!

Anyway I was thinking last night after watching Melodifestivalen, If the BBC where smart enough (which they clearly are not), they could see all of the countries that hold a national final and see who does well there like come in second or third because then you know there is a fanbase there within europe, for example next year IMO if the BBC are running out of people for the contest why not try their best to get Danny Saucedo, and get him to write 2-3 good europop/dance songs and then let the public vote, I mean the UK Jury at Melodifestivalen gave him 12 points! (Also we would get at least one 12 from sweden!)
    • Options
      MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
      Forum Member
      I think the hype is already too big for anyone to overtake Loreen. I visited my friend whose flat is being used for our annual Eurovision party, and he's not the kind of person to follow the pre-contest-week NFs, news and views yet he said to me "Oh, I saw one of the songs this year. Some girl with long hair doing a dance-y track. I really like that one". It's not even charting in this country but the hype when he visited Germany for a weekend was enough for him to pick up on it.

The rate of comments on the first rehearsal video shows just how much hype has already been generated for Eurphoria.
    • Options
      georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be many. :p

I do like Loreen's performance though - although I've been flicking from Youtube and this thread, so missed a bit. The dancer at the end was a good touch, though. It sounds a bit like 'Running Scared', as has been mentioned on here before, I'm sure. The general criticism when a song sounds similar to the previous winner is: will people go for the same style again?

On a different note: the Hump has been promised dancers, and now we find he has had a key change on 'This Morning.' It's a bit concerning - what will they change next? I can imagine watching the UK first rehearsal videos and seeing that they've added a thumping bass beat or something!:eek: I hope that what we saw on 'This Morning' is the final version of the song, and all that will change now is staging from the UK performances to Baku.
    • Options
      georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I think the hype is already too big for anyone to overtake Loreen. I visited my friend whose flat is being used for our annual Eurovision party, and he's not the kind of person to follow the pre-contest-week NFs, news and views yet he said to me "Oh, I saw one of the songs this year. Some girl with long hair doing a dance-y track. I really like that one". It's not even charting in this country but the hype when he visited Germany for a weekend was enough for him to pick up on it.

The rate of comments on the first rehearsal video shows just how much hype has already been generated for Eurphoria.

I actually wonder whether it will do well with the juries. After all, one of the criteria that they judge on is how good a song each entry is. Loreen might be able to put on a good show and get people interested in her entry, but is it a good entry musically? I don't know. Anyone with musical knowledge here who can give us any insight?:)
    • Options
      rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I do like Loreen's performance though - although I've been flicking from Youtube and this thread, so missed a bit. The dancer at the end was a good touch, though. It sounds a bit like 'Running Scared', as has been mentioned on here before, I'm sure. The general criticism when a song sounds similar to the previous winner is: will people go for the same style again?
      :confused: Sorry, what?!? I can't see any similarity whatsoever between these two songs...
    • Options
      SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be many. :p

On a different note: the Hump has been promised dancers, and now we find he has had a key change on 'This Morning.' It's a bit concerning - what will they change next? I can imagine watching the UK first rehearsal videos and seeing that they've added a thumping bass beat or something!:eek: I hope that what we saw on 'This Morning' is the final version of the song, and all that will change now is staging from the UK performances to Baku.

How does it? :eek: :D

I think the dancers for Engelbert will just be a couple doing a waltz.
    • Options
      MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      New thread, yay! We'll be on part 40 in a couple of weeks haha
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Saturn wrote: »
      I think the dancers for Engelbert will just be a couple doing a waltz.

I agree, it's the only conceivable dance I can think of. Arlene Phillips has plenty of experience with fitting choreography to the 'story' in a song, and given the lovely and heartbreaking story in 'Love Will Set You Free' the dance will be a worthy addition to the presentation. I can't wait to see it. :D
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
      Forum Member
      Turkey got the backing dancers to pretend to be a ship? Maybe they need to ask Montenegro to build them a wooden prop to use instead! :D
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQUuFo-eVNY
    • Options
      Forum Member
      I think 'Love Me Back' is probably my favourite Turkish entry ever. :o

EDIT: Wow, Turkey have been in it since 1975. Ok, it's my favourite of the past 12 years. :D
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
      Forum Member
      I quite like the background for Love Me Back
    • Options
      penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      YAY new thread!

Anyway I was thinking last night after watching Melodifestivalen, If the BBC where smart enough (which they clearly are not), they could see all of the countries that hold a national final and see who does well there like come in second or third because then you know there is a fanbase there within europe, for example next year IMO if the BBC are running out of people for the contest why not try their best to get Danny Saucedo, and get him to write 2-3 good europop/dance songs and then let the public vote, I mean the UK Jury at Melodifestivalen gave him 12 points! (Also we would get at least one 12 from sweden!)

Plenty would do it they just ask the wrong people constantly.
    • Options
      QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
      Forum Member
      I agree, it's the only conceivable dance I can think of. Arlene Phillips has plenty of experience with fitting choreography to the 'story' in a song, and given the lovely and heartbreaking story in 'Love Will Set You Free' the dance will be a worthy addition to the presentation. I can't wait to see it. :D

I think that Strictly speaking it might be quite good ;)
    • Options
      21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,509
      Forum Member
      Estonia is sailing through. Magnificent.
    • Options
      steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

I hope you're right, it's one of the few foreign language entries this year that doesn't send me to sleep (yes, I mean you, Portugal!).
    • Options
      Forum Member

Agreed. Concise, sweeping ballads such as Kuula and Nije ljubav stvar are prime examples of how to do a ballad at Eurovision. :D Not too long so as to bore everyone and make them glance at who's up next, but with enough impact so people are left with a 'wow' feeling. Kuula sinks away a bit at the end, but it's hardly going to kill their chances. Along with the Netherlands, I will be quite sad to see it miss the final if it doesn't make it.
    • Options
      steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Agreed. Concise, sweeping ballads such as Kuula and Nije ljubav stvar are prime examples of how to do a ballad at Eurovision. :D Not too long so as to bore everyone and make them glance at who's up next, but with enough impact so people are left with a 'wow' feeling. Kuula sinks away a bit at the end, but it's hardly going to kill their chances. Along with the Netherlands, I will be quite sad to see it miss the final if it doesn't make it.

I think them being followed by Slovakia (right? :o) benefits both entries. Estonia as the calm before the storm, Slovakia as the song to make everyone sit up and take notice whther they like it or not. I still think Slovakia is an almost definite qualifier.
    • Options
      MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Slovenia looks good:) I like the subtle movements. Good to see those awful net hats have been discarded too!
    • Options
      phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      i hope Slovakia qualifies, i think it will be really popular in Georgia and Turkey
    • Options
      BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,289
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I think I must have woken up in a bad mood as I am not getting a good vibe off any of todays rehearsals.

I feel like, if anything, Loreens erratic movements might put some of the general public off. I find this semi final much harder to predict
    • Options
      MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      It all depends on the camera angles for Sweden and if they can recreate that exact MelFest performance. If not, the magic might not translate on the night.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
      Forum Member

I agree, it does look great, and I love the understated backdrop. I'm also finally starting to actually enjoy the song instead of constantly wishing it was Mina Jään, which helps a lot.
    This discussion has been closed.