Options

Max Jason Mai - Don't Close Your Eyes

starrystarry Posts: 12,434
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't really think it deserved last in the semi, agreed? Those who were saying they liked it beforehand seem to have gone quiet about it. The performance seemed decent.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I did like it, but the singing was shocking through most of the rehearsals and live semi. While I might have personally thought last place was a little harsh, I don't think there are enough other rock fans in the typical Eurovision audience to forgive problems in the performance.

And lets not forget, Semi 2 was always going to be a mess, especially when things like Lithuania can end up with 3rd place...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I liked the Lithuanian song. I don't mind various different styles.
    globbits wrote: »
    I don't think there are enough other rock fans in the typical Eurovision audience

Or they don't have a big fanbase voting like Lordi had.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh at it coming last.

It was one of the only few I liked in SF2 with Belarus and Netherlands, all three were robbed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Actually I liked the Lithuanian song. I don't mind various different styles.
    I wasn't saying I didn't like Lithuania, I was more using it as an example of how random the results were - I certainly don't think it was the third best song of the night. So it's hard to be surprised that a poorly sung song in a niche style (for ESC) ended up last.
    starry wrote: »
    Or they don't have a big fanbase voting like Lordi had.

That might actually end up being close to the truth. Turkey have done well with rock songs in the past, but they're Turkey. ;)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,509
    Forum Member
    Musically, it deserved to qualify as it was a very well written song, but vocally he was awful and warranted the last place.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His vocal was appalling.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good song but his vocals were absolutely awful:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He also needed re-styling totally- the Bonnie Tyler hair, shirt slashed to the waist and then ill-fitting jeans that somehow managed to look both too tight and too baggy.
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was off key for the entire song.
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Slovakia have literally no voting allies or voting diaspora so if it isn't up to scratch they are doomed. It's really not possible for some countries to finish last as they have too many guaranteed points.

i don't think we will be seeing Slovakia again at Eurovision so it's a shame they flopped so hard on their likely final attempt.
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His vocals on the night really put me off the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alicey wrote: »
    Slovakia have literally no voting allies or voting diaspora so if it isn't up to scratch they are doomed. It's really not possible for some countries to finish last as they have too many guaranteed points.

i don't think we will be seeing Slovakia again at Eurovision so it's a shame they flopped so hard on their likely final attempt.

Central Europe have minimal interest in Eurovision- Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and the Czech Republic are all conspicuous in their patchy track record of participation. Notable that all 5 of those have withdrawn/ returned from a long period of withdrawal at some point.
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the song in the studio version, but the live singing was such a mess, that I ended up not voting for him - he didn't deserve it (and he was wearing WAY too many clothes :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the song in the studio version, but the live singing was such a mess, that I ended up not voting for him - he didn't deserve it (and he was wearing WAY too many clothes :p )

His trousers were doing their best to oblige you... ;)
  • Options
    weedydiamondweedydiamond Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »

His singing was very poor in places. As for clothes, it looks as if his guitarists let him down, eg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iwCGBXmDI

And as for the song, it wasn't that great, as a comparison with the above will show. But it was the only one we had, so I sent a few votes in.
  • Options
    sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    On the night, I didn't think he sounded that bad - but it was towards the end and I'd massaged my brain with beer so I may be being kind.

With Georgia in the same semi final nothing but it deserved to finish last.

I gave Slovakia a couple of votes. I imagine they won't be back next year but I live in hope that the Slovak powers that be are reading the Dutch and Swiss responses.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Slovakia signed up this year, did MJM pay the entry fee?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was more about the energy of the song than how precisely in tune he was. The song seemed well enough constructed with enough catchiness. While I am not claiming it was among my biggest favourites I had it down as worth qualifying in the semi, maybe ahead of some of those in better tune but more boring. One of the main criticisms from people seems to be how he looked, like they didn't like his hairstyle. :D