Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

11.22.63 New Stephen King.

Old 14-01-2012, 17:45
Froggy88
Forum Member

I sort of saw the end coming, I had the general gist right, just not the details. But that didn't stop me enjoying it when it all happened. I think it's my new 2nd fave SK book, after The Stand, which I doubt will ever be topped for me. The very end of the book made me blub like a right girl.
How we danced
Froggy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-01-2012, 11:47
Devon Miles
Forum Member

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Good story and a good ending one of his best for a long time.

Only problem now is he has got me obsessed with the JFK assassination!

Just watched the film and devouring any thing I can find on it.
Not normally into conspiracys but think King is wrong about Oswald being the lone gunman!

Then that's what all good books do, get you thinking!
Same here

Really enjoyed this book and agree that he managed to get a decent ending in for a change!

Also same as you, I am suddenly a lot more interested in the JFK shooting, in a way, the book was quite educational, with regards to the facts surrounding the shooting.
Devon Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 08:01
Lushness
Forum Member

I felt sick when I finally finished this booked. I dragged it out for so long, I didn't want it to end. The ending was perfect, one of the best SK books I've read.
Lushness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:15
Lushness
Forum Member

Xcfgghjl

Jbnmjhhhhhhbhvffg
Old 20-05-2012, 09:51
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

I loved it. And it made me cry at the end
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 13:02
Lushness
Forum Member

Xcfgghjl

Jbnmjhhhhhhbhvffg
Errr not sure what happened here ^^^

Anyway I can't wait until the film comes out, I wonder who will be cast as Jake and Sadie.
Old 20-05-2012, 13:48
cold_as_stone
Forum Member

Haven't read a Stephen King for years. The last couple I read were absolute bilge.

Swore I would never bother again.
cold_as_stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 23:57
Schadenfreud

Errr not sure what happened here ^^^

Anyway I can't wait until the film comes out, I wonder who will be cast as Jake and Sadie.
Are they definitely turning it into a film?

Enjoyed the book, though it did drag a little at times. Agree with the educational value, after I finished I googled all the info out of curiosity.
Schadenfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 14:43
Lainy
Forum Member

Here is my thoughts

Blurb from Goodreads

This enhanced edition includes the trailer and a short film written and narrated by Stephen King, which gives a unique insight into '11.22.63'.

WHAT IF you could go back in time and change the course of history? WHAT IF the watershed moment you could change was the JFK assassination? 11.22.63, the date that Kennedy was shot - unless . . .

King takes his protagonist Jake Epping, a high school English teacher from Lisbon Falls, Maine, 2011, on a fascinating journey back to 1958 - from a world of mobile phones and iPods to a new world of Elvis and JFK, of Plymouth Fury cars and Lindy Hopping, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life - a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

With extraordinary imaginative power, King weaves the social, political and popular culture of his baby-boom American generation into a devastating exercise in escalating suspense.

My review

I have been looking forward to this since I heard it was getting written. A story with time travel and heading back to when Kennedy was around with the chance to change the future, fabulous idea. Jake is a great character who changes and grows and he goes through the mind boggling experience of time travel whilst trying to keep his mind focused on the task in hand he can't help but get caught up in other peoples lives.

The only thing that might annoy some readers is that the story doesn't just go straight to Kennedys assassination, there is a whole chunk (3 quarters of the book) of what he does until that time, the characters he meets and relationships he builds up. However I really liked that aswell as the characters all play an important part to the story and for a small part we have a link to one of Stephen Kings previous books, I love when a character from a previous story shows up (even if in passing or a small part).

I have often heard people say Stephen King isn't as good as he once was however I would say pick this up and give it a go, it will restore your faith and rekindle the love for Stephen Kings writing. 4/5 for me.

http://www.alwaysreading.net/2011/11...phen-king.html

I am reading his new one (Dark Tower series) The Wind Through The Keyhole
Lainy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 16:24
Yorkie47
Forum Member

I loved this book. I'm a Stephen King fan and have read every single one of his books but I have been disappointed in a few of the later ones. Under The Dome had him back on form and 11.22.63 is right up there with the best of them imo. I was totally absorbed from start to finish.

I was 16 in 1963 and it took me right back to simpler days with no videos, no mobiles, no computers etc. I could almost reminisce again about my much-loved record player when I played my latest 45 over and over again, much to my dad's chagrin!
Yorkie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:53
Lushness
Forum Member

Are they definitely turning it into a film?

Enjoyed the book, though it did drag a little at times. Agree with the educational value, after I finished I googled all the info out of curiosity.
I've read so many rumours that a film was being made. Could be completely untrue of course. I hope so though, I'll be first in line in the cinema queue!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16
mary03
Inactive Member

I've got this on my to read list. It's a big book, so I'm reading another shorter book first before getting into this. I like the reviews..........most are very positive with the only negatives being the middle part dragging out a bit.
mary03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 19:13
I love tea
Forum Member

Loved this book, was brilliant, I did feel the
Spoiler
but hey, it was still brilliant. And the end was so sad Definitely my favourite book of the year so far that I've read.
I love tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 18:20
mary03
Inactive Member

Reading this now and thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm at 33% on the Kindle, so have a fair way to go yet.

I just love SK's style of writing and also that his characters are so fleshed out.

I'm not sure at which part of the book that some of the negative views say become a bit boring, but so far it's still keeping me interested.
mary03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 18:56
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

well I was disappointed with this , 750 pages ! it really didn't need to be that long .
it reminded me of Replay but is nowhere near as good

Spoiler
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote