Options

BBC Should sack Agius

mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We've all heard of one scandal after another at Barclay's Bank. Mark Agius, Chairman of Barclay's, is also an executive at the BBC, being paid £47,000 a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/managementstructure/biographies/agius_marcus/#section-2

Given that the reason for the existence of BBC is public service, having the Chair of Barclay's on the Board is incompatible, as he's part of a culture which is opposite to that ideal.
The BBC should fire him now.

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On what grounds would you fire him, I doubt whether he has done anything wrong at the BBC?

Not sure of his position, he seems to be described as a non-executive director of the Executive Board so not sure if that makes him an executive.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Yeah just go fire him for no reason at all?
  • Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typically stupid mRebel thread. Sack him and the BBC is sued for unfair dismissal. Great :rolleyes:
  • Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    This is not an attack on the BBC but the trust board needs to be representative of the general public, people like Agius don't represent US and i would prefer to see ordinary mere mortals with a passion given the chance to have our views heard by being on said board, better still axe the board.

Having said that he will be forced to quit as the banking scandal continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not an attack on the BBC but the trust board needs to be representative of the general public, people like Agius don't represent US and i would prefer to see ordinary mere mortals with a passion given the chance to have our views heard by being on said board, better still axe the board.

Having said that he will be forced to quit as the banking scandal continues.

You understand what I mean Steven. Agius is on the BBC Board, and in any organization the Board determines the bodies culture. The culture of the BBC is supposed to be public service, and given the numerous scandals at Barclay's during Agius's chairmanship, his record shows him to be totally unsuitable for a role with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    He didn't really do anything wrong personally at Barclays...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mRebel wrote: »
    You understand what I mean Steven. Agius is on the BBC Board, and in any organization the Board determines the bodies culture.The culture of the BBC is supposed to be public service, and given the numerous scandals at Barclay's during Agius's chairmanship, his record shows him to be totally unsuitable for a role with them.

What's happened at Barclays has nowt to do with the BBC or his position with the trust.

If he were to be 'sacked' as you wish then you'd be the first in here moaning about compensation payments, lawyers costs and golden handshakes, all of which he would be entitled to.

Remember your moans about CH4's director pay outs?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeoscar wrote: »
    He didn't really do anything wrong personally at Barclays...
    Indeed, 'twas Bob Diamond who was in charge of the relevant department (Barclays Capital) at the time of the Libor fixing.
  • Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    You understand what I mean Steven. Agius is on the BBC Board, and in any organization the Board determines the bodies culture. The culture of the BBC is supposed to be public service, and given the numerous scandals at Barclay's during Agius's chairmanship, his record shows him to be totally unsuitable for a role with them.

As a passionate supporter of the BBC it is in the corporation's best interests if Agius goes, we don't know to what extent he was involved in the Libor scandal.

Whispers suggest that Lord Patten is seeking his removal if he does not resign, personally i'd prefer his sacking.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

No it doesn’t.

Sorry, but a non-executive chair doesn’t have anything to do with the actual running of a corporation day to day on an editorial or priority level.

They are there to ensure that the company is being audited properly, that the main board is appointed properly, and that the financial accounts and reports are accurate. And that’s it.

Hence, it requires people with board experience and significant financial qualifications, which Mr Agius does have. The FSA regulates that sort of thing with an iron fist, and so they should. It is not a place for democracy or amateurs, it requires expertise.
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Given that the reason for the existence of BBC is public service, having the Chair of Barclay's on the Board is incompatible, as he's part of a culture which is opposite to that ideal.
    As it is now announced that Agius is to resign his position at Barclays once a suitable replacement is found; the question
    now must surely be whether he should consequently resign his position at the BBC, once a suitable replacement is found.

There seems to be a little confusion in this thread -

Agius is a non-executive director of the Executive Board of the BBC and thus a member of 'senior management' -

he is not a trustee of the BBC Trust who say
    The Trust is the governing body of the BBC. We make decisions in the best interests of licence fee payers and protect the independence of the BBC.

The Trust must raise this matter of suitability of Agius's continued service on behalf of the Licence paying public.

I would wish to see him go so there is no 'toxic' infection.
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    As it is now announced that Agius is to resign his position at Barclays once a suitable replacement is found; the question
    now must surely be whether he should consequently resign his position at the BBC, once a suitable replacement is found.

There seems to be a little confusion in this thread -

Agius is a non-executive director of the Executive Board of the BBC and thus a member of 'senior management' -

he is not a trustee of the BBC Trust who say

The Trust must raise this matter of suitability of Agius's continued service on behalf of the Licence paying public.

I would wish to see him go so there is no 'toxic' infection.

Yes, he's the senior non-Executive member of the board and it has to be wondered what sort of advice he's been giving on matters such as budgeting, pensions and pay.

It can be useful to have co-opts on boards - they can bring extra knowledge and insight on particular subjects - but, often, they're just mates of executives, with mutual benefit for individuals being their focus. (Personal experience and what I've heard/read from others, there.) You have to wonder what Marcus Agius and others from the commercial sector bring to the BBC board that the Chief Financial Officer does not; after all, the BBC's commercial operation, BBC Worldwide, is a separate company. The BBC's Chief Financial Officer is the only person who sits on both the BBC and BBC Worldwide boards, IIRC.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    They are there to ensure that the company is being audited properly, that the main board is appointed properly, and that the financial accounts and reports are accurate. And that’s it.

Indeed, and what better person than the (now former) chairman of Barclays who "oversaw" corruption and dishonesty which resulted in the manipulation of the Libor rate and a £290 million fine?:)

Methinks his days on the BBC Exec board are numbered. Whether he does the decent thing and resigns his directorship or they force him off the board it won't cost the Beeb much if anything. He was only on £47k for the role and it seems to me they have good grounds to question whether he can continue to perform his role effectively.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He retires in November so I doubt if he will go from BBC before then ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Indeed, and what better person than the (now former) chairman of Barclays who "oversaw" corruption and dishonesty which resulted in the manipulation of the Libor rate and a £290 million fine?:)

I completely agree.

What I was disagreeing with is that non-executive board members should be "representative of the general public". They shouldn't, any more than CERN's Large Hepton Collider Team should include more carpet salesmen.
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He retires in November so I doubt if he will go from BBC before then ....

It's now being reported that he'll stay on until November and won't be seeking a third term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn’t.

Sorry, but a non-executive chair doesn’t have anything to do with the actual running of a corporation day to day on an editorial or priority level.

Hence, it requires people with board experience and significant financial qualifications, which Mr Agius does have. The FSA regulates that sort of thing with an iron fist, and so they should. It is not a place for democracy or amateurs, it requires expertise.

Precisely why he should go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Indeed, 'twas Bob Diamond who was in charge of the relevant department (Barclays Capital) at the time of the Libor fixing.

So nothing to do with the Chairman? And same with the PPI misselling, 'agressive tax dodgibg', interest rate swaps, breach of rgulatory fines in the US, bonuses and pay of Board rocketing while share price falls by three quarters, and so on.
    If there was a vacancy on the BBC Board at the moment, do you think anyone from Barclays would be invited to fill it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now being reported that he'll stay on until November and won't be seeking a third term.

That's something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Precisely why he should go.

Are you saying that the financial accounts and reports are inaccurate then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree.

What I was disagreeing with is that non-executive board members should be "representative of the general public". They shouldn't, any more than CERN's Large Hepton Collider Team should include more carpet salesmen.

Non-execs are meant to represent the interests of shareholders, which in the case of a public body is the public.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Is it not correct that Agius is just a sacrifice to protect Diamond?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vindictive kneejerk thinking. Has anyone suggested he knew what was going on? As bank Chairman it was his role to provide strategic direction and over-sight of the board, not the traders. Would might as well sack school governors because some pupils cheated in their exams.

As BBC governor the money is insignificant, but he should be able to provide some guidance on long term strategy and how to run a huge organisation. Even if he were implicated the two businesses are so different that it's difficult to see how bad practice could be carried over.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,573
    Forum Member
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Vindictive kneejerk thinking. Has anyone suggested he knew what was going on? As bank Chairman it was his role to provide strategic direction and over-sight of the board, not the traders. Would might as well sack school governors because some pupils cheated in their exams.

As BBC governor the money is insignificant, but he should be able to provide some guidance on long term strategy and how to run a huge organisation. Even if he were implicated the two businesses are so different that it's difficult to see how bad practice could be carried over.

Commonsense in DS:GD shocker!

Other than saying that I agree with your analysis, I have nothing further to add.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Non-execs are meant to represent the interests of shareholders, which in the case of a public body is the public.

Non-execs are there to represent the *financial* interests of shareholders.

And in the case of the general public they are there to represent the financial interests of the general public. That is done by having qualified financiers do the role and not your typical DS resident who believes that just because something has revenue it must automatically be profitable, for example.

Phazer