Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 20)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,862
Administrator
bhoy07 wrote: »
Celtic to play Aston Villa, Sporting Lisbon and PSV in the next gen series tournament.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1639336

Comments

• Options
      Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
      Forum Member
      Eater Sundae
      Forum Member

[Quote:]
      Originally Posted by PhilH36 View Post
      In the English pyramid when teams have folded or a team from the division below has been refused promotion for not having a ground up to standard etc, it's generally the relegated team that gets a reprieve.
      Are you sure? I cannot remember the circumstances, but IIRC, I recall Ron Atkinson (as their then manager) calling for Sheffield Wednesday to be put back up into the top flight having been relegated, because a spare place became available - but it wasn't accepted.

1990 when Swindon got punished for financial irregularities, & match fixing, although they won the play offs, they got demoted to division 3, but on appeal got reinstated in division 2, Sunderland who lost the play off final got promoted to division 1 instead, Sheff Wed who finished 3rd bottom in division 1 never got a reprieve from relegation[these were the old divisions before the Premier League was formed].
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Breaking news, Dundee will be in the SPL next season.
    • Options
      Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      1990 when Swindon got punished for financial irregularities, & match fixing, although they won the play offs, they got demoted to division 3, but on appeal got reinstated in division 2, Sunderland who lost the play off final got promoted to division 1 instead, Sheff Wed who finished 3rd bottom in division 1 never got a reprieve from relegation[these were the old divisions before the Premier League was formed].

Thanks for that. I had the vague memory of Big Ron calling for Sheff Wed to not be relegated, but I couldn't remember any details, and was unable to find it by searching primarily because I didn't really know what I was lookintg for.
    • Options
      CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
      Forum Member
      no real surprise that dundee got promoted into the SPL.
    • Options
      Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,938
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Yay!

Even if it's only for a season, it's good to be back.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Thanks for that. I had the vague memory of Big Ron calling for Sheff Wed to not be relegated, but I couldn't remember any details, and was unable to find it by searching primarily because I didn't really know what I was lookintg for.

No probs.

Looks like SPL 2 won't be happening.

Also haven't Dundee had financial problems recently themselves, i recall them getting docked a few points more than the normal 10 points for going into Admin?
    • Options
      CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
      Forum Member
      No probs.

Also haven't Dundee had financial problems recently themselves, i recall them getting docked a few points more than the normal 10 points for going into Admin?

been in administration a couple of times, think it was a 25 point penalty.

spl2 was a nonstarter, league reconstruction has to involve all clubs not just a select few
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      No probs.

Why should past financial mismanagement, for which we were punished, come into it?
    • Options
      DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,077
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      Now all the United and Dundee home fixture clashes to sort:D
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Mark. wrote: »
      Why should past financial mismanagement, for which we were punished, come into it?

Just asking a question that's all, & indeed Administration & Liquidation are 2 separate things, so shouldn't be compared to.

Be interesting to see what happens to the SFA CE his position has to be untenable after recent events.
    • Options
      Hibs-kid-2007Hibs-kid-2007 Posts: 7,954
      Forum Member
      Pleased with the outcome, welcome back Sc...eh Dundee !! :p

Guaranteed 9 points if nothing else :D

Will be great to have the Dundee derby back and hopefully a few Claudio Caniggia, Fabrizio Ravanelli type signings :D

So we have an Edinburgh Derby and Dundee Derby very early into the season, Scottish football can finally move on !!

I wonder what will happen with their season tickets ? Will they still charge same rate or will they suddenly hike up the price as their playing higher calibre of opposition.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      dundee up to spl from div 1.....

who else is getting promoted so the rangers can be in div 3

need to know who goes up from 2 to 1 , and who goes up from 3 to 2

1 more question....
      will celtic/have celtic had to reduce season ticket price that usually includes OF fiixture....if so by how much
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      It's already been confirmed that Stranraer are moving from D3 to D2, and it'll probably be Airdrie Utd from D2 to D1 (both as losing finalists in the play-offs).
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Mark. wrote: »
      It's already been confirmed that Stranraer are moving from D3 to D2, and it'll probably be Airdrie Utd from D2 to D1 (both as losing finalists in the play-offs).

thanks for that...i mustv missed that info
    • Options
      cuttysarkcuttysark Posts: 1,209
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
      Now all the United and Dundee home fixture clashes to sort:D

It'll also mean that some Celtic and Rangers home fixtures will clash.
    • Options
      OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
      Forum Member
      The Celtic home game will probably be moved to an early kick off or a Sunday kickoff with Rangers getting the good old Saturday 3pm game (I hope so anyway as I missed a few games last season with Rangers games getting shifted about for TV)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Rangers first game is the Challenge Cup away to Brechin 28th July, although i'm not an fan of any teams in Scotland, it will be strange to see Rangers playing in the 3rd division.
    • Options
      bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      grps3 wrote: »
      1 more question....
      will celtic/have celtic had to reduce season ticket price that usually includes OF fiixture....if so by how much

No change in pricing as this situation was included.
    • Options
      UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Good to see Dundee in SPL - sepecially after the crowd that turned up for the friendly. Jeez, I'm really fickle when it comes to money-matters :D

;)
    • Options
      grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Caltonfan wrote: »
      no real surprise that dundee got promoted into the SPL.

Or Club 12, as they will henceforth be known.
    • Options
      ty webbty webb Posts: 225
      Forum Member
      Uriah wrote: »
      Good to see Dundee in SPL - sepecially after the crowd that turned up for the friendly. Jeez, I'm really fickle when it comes to money-matters :D

;)

Yeah an 11k crowd is amazing in a city with a 200,000+ population. :eek:
    • Options
      Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
      Forum Member
      A interesting discussion been going on on Talksport about the Rangers situation and the future of scottish football.

A lot of bigoted ill-informed callers being handed their arse by the expert pundits.
    • Options
      bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      STV understands that Sevco Scotland have no option but to accept the 12 month transfer embargo or they will not be able to transfer membership.

They also can't apply for new membership as they don't meet the criteria.
    • Options
      Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
      Forum Member
      STV understands that Sevco Scotland have no option but to accept the 12 month transfer embargo or they will not be able to transfer membership.

Yeah the SFA are basically blackmailing Rangers, either accept these illegal sanctions or we wont allow you to play.

Given that they barely have a full team, not sure how banning them from buying more players is going to work, when they are allowing them to play in 2 weeks time.
    • Options
      Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

That seems totally (morally) wrong to me. If it is a NewCo starting from the bottom (or nearly as good as), then it seems perverse to land it with "the sins of the fathers".

EDit: It seems like a punishment.
    This discussion has been closed.