Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 19-07-2012, 14:06
Dennis C
Forum Member

My mum met Sue Barker at Wimbledon many years ago and said she was very rude! My mum asked for an autograph and Sue made a fuss about it saying "I have got a party to go to, you know" which is really rude!
Well now she's got a new career as a gun for hire (seen her in the new Go Compare ad yet?) send her after Cilla, is what I say!!
Dennis C is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-07-2012, 14:11
Dennis C
Forum Member

You know the odd thing is - before she had her nose job - she DID have a decent (very distinctive) singing voice! And I'm not talking that sh/te song 'Ooh You Are A Mucky Kid' or even 'Alfie'.
Can't imagine a song called that! Really? How'd it go?

Ooh you are a mucky kid
Pull your trousers up
Your sister told me what you just did
So you're not 'avin' a dog or a pup

Old 19-07-2012, 15:20
bookaddict
Forum Member

A friend of mine works for a West End Theatre and worked on the "Waiting for Godot" production with him and Sir Ian Mckellan in it. Apparently he's not a diva but can be very abrupt and tactless to people on occasion. McKellan was lovely the first time but when the second run of the show with Roger Rees - he was grumpy.

Ralph Fienes is a top bloke apparently though and the Dames Maggie Smith and Judi Dench gave the staff so much champagne that my mate (who isn't a big drinker) was giving it away for months.
Pleasantly surprised to hear that about Ralph Fiennes. I always though (probably totally unfairly) that he was a bit up himself. Always heard lots of nice stuff about Dames Smith and Dench

It depends I think - I think if someone is repeatedly touted as being nice or nasty then there's something to it. Active rudeness, especially at an event where they are paid to be nice, counts for more than 'blanking' which could be just not noticing. Mixed accounts could mean the person is moody, two-faced or just that like the rest of us they have good days and bad.
This is my view too. Anyone can have an off day, it's just that if you're famous, there's always going to be someone who will notice and stick it on the internet somewhere. But when people are rude at say, a film premiere for a film that they're in, there's no excuse for that. (I also agree that 'blanking' someone can often just be a case of not noticing them. I've accidentally walked past people I know, and just not seen them, and only discovered that I'd done it when they mentioned it later.)

Someone I know met Johnny Cash (who is something of a hero of mine), years ago, and said that he was a top bloke.

I've also heard fans say that Jeff Bridges is lovely to his fans.
bookaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 15:23
Swanandduck2
Forum Member

My friend found herself sitting beside Andie McDowell in a hairdressers in New York once and said she was lovely and friendly.

I also know someone who met Patricia Hodge at a party and thought she was very nice and very anxious to avoid the limelight.
Swanandduck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 15:52
bookaddict
Forum Member

Oh, and a friend of mine met Nicole Kidman and said she was just an absolutely lovely woman.
bookaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 16:04
Dennis C
Forum Member

This is my view too. Anyone can have an off day, it's just that if you're famous, there's always going to be someone who will notice and stick it on the internet somewhere. But when people are rude at say, a film premiere for a film that they're in, there's no excuse for that. (I also agree that 'blanking' someone can often just be a case of not noticing them. I've accidentally walked past people I know, and just not seen them, and only discovered that I'd done it when they mentioned it later.)
Yeah. Remember Eminem and his 'fan' Stan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY
Old 19-07-2012, 16:36
EastEnders-1105
Forum Member

A few years ago my manager got a phone call

Caller:Hello is that the british heart foundation chartity shop?
Manager:Yes how can i help you
Caller: Hi well its Babs here and i have some furniture i wish to donate could you come to pick it up?
Manager: Yes of course

This Phone call went on and off (with "Babs" rinigng to check that it was still ok for collection)

It was only when my manager got to the house she realised who "Babs" was
Barbara Windsor!!
She was very nice and donated way more stuff than she said on the phone.

My dads friend is a window cleaner one day he got a call to go to fairly posh estate
he got there and a bloke opened the door and showed him round as he was looking at the windows a voice from the kitchen yelled out "Want a cuppa tea mate" he turned round and standing there was Daniella Westbrook!!

Ive meet a few south east news readers
Rob Smith (Nice spoke to me and my mum for 10 minutes)
Kaddy lee preston (Very nice even thoughs she was having an arguement on the phone she still signed for me)
Geoff Clarke(Nice
Bev thompson(Nice
EastEnders-1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 19:22
Madamfluff
Forum Member

A couple of years ago me and my mate went to Miami

We went into a cuban restaraunt and were really having a good time, my mate speaks spanish and she was teaching me how to order the meal in spanish.

The waiter came up and told us Armando wanted to say hello so we went to see him, he was short bald with a goatee
but very charming told us the best places to visit and spoke warmly of Miami his friends then came along so we went back to our table.

When we went to leave we were told that Armando was paying for our meal so we went to thank him he gave us both a kiss and someone took our picture.

We had no idea who he was (we thought he must be the local drug Baron.)

Last year I was watching Jlo's video ' the floor' and saw the man again he was the rapper Pitbull.

He was an utterly charasmatic man even though he looked like a thug - been a fan ever since
Madamfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 19:54
unclekevo
Forum Member

My friend found herself sitting beside Andie McDowell in a hairdressers in New York once and said she was lovely and friendly.

I also know someone who met Patricia Hodge at a party and thought she was very nice and very anxious to avoid the limelight.
Was she what I call charming?
unclekevo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:17
EileenDover
Forum Member

I met Boyzone when I was a teenager. I had tickets to see them on tour, but I was in an accident and was temporarily in a wheelchair, so my Mum wrote to them to see if there was a disabled section for me to use in my wheelchair so I could still go. They put me and my two mates in the VIP bit and we got to meet them. They were all really lovely - especially Stephen Gately and Mikey Graham.

We met Rod Stewart whilst on holiday. He was absolutely lovely, really friendly and charming. He asked to pick up my toddler and was lifting him into the air and pulling faces to make him laugh.

Thats it, unless you count a very rude, top three day eventer that I once met (not Zara).
EileenDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:30
cantelpit
Forum Member

Was she what I call charming?
Such Fun!
cantelpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 20:45
Murraymar
Forum Member

Johnny cash asked me for directions in 1984. Very polite man from what I recall

Pleasantly surprised to hear that about Ralph Fiennes. I always though (probably totally unfairly) that he was a bit up himself. Always heard lots of nice stuff about Dames Smith and Dench

Someone I know met Johnny Cash (who is something of a hero of mine), years ago, and said that he was a top bloke.

I've also heard fans say that Jeff Bridges is lovely to his fans.
Murraymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 21:32
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Lulu was awful when I met her! left a really bad impression on me.
She seems to get a lot of flak!
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:39
soilhoof
Forum Member

My friend works in Scotland as a youth worker and just now realizes that the young actor who went up with a group of delinquent kids to a place called Beecraigs, Linlithgow (assault courses, team building exercises etc) was Tom Hardy!
I was showing him a thing about Hardy connected to the new Batman film, he said "Oi! That's Tom! From the Prince's Trust!" and he ran and got this photo of Hardy, my mate Keith and all the lads:

http://www.tumblr.com/46fl;ward

He says ts changed his mind about going to see the film.
soilhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:47
DiamondDoll
Forum Member

My friend works in Scotland as a youth worker and just now realizes that the young actor who went up with a group of delinquent kids to a place called Beecraigs, Linlithgow (assault courses, team building exercises etc) was Tom Hardy!
I was showing him a thing about Hardy connected to the new Batman film, he said "Oi! That's Tom! From the Prince's Trust!" and he ran and got this photo of Hardy, my mate Keith and all the lads:

http://www.tumblr.com/46fl;ward

He says ts changed his mind about going to see the film.
Off topic I know so apologies in advance.

The Prince's Trust is an exceptional charity and its successes are many.
I've got so much regard for those who privately give of their time and do it for others and never ever want publicity for their efforts.
Your anecdote underlines it perfectly and its very likely that at least one of the 'delinquents' had their life changed forever due to the efforts of everyone (yes your friend too) involved in the course.
DiamondDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 14:11
Semierotic
Forum Member

To be honest I find people who ask for autographs a bit naff. So you've got a hastily written signature on a piece of paper. Well done. Why not say something interesting to the target instead if you have make contact?
Semierotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:01
zx50
Forum Member

To be honest I find people who ask for autographs a bit naff. So you've got a hastily written signature on a piece of paper. Well done. Why not say something interesting to the target instead if you have make contact?
I don't think there's anything wrong with signing the odd autograph for a fan. If you're a celebrity you have to expect this. Anyone who doesn't sign autographs for their fans, they shouldn't have became a celebrity in the first place.

Edit: To be honest, if I became a celebrity for whatever reason, I'd probably want to make sure everyone got an autograph. I think there would eventually come a point where I'd be like: "no more". I would want to make sure everyone got what they came for though.....an autograph.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:11
KidPoker
Forum Member

Oh I have a bit of paper with a written scribbly word on it. My life is now complete.
KidPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:27
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Edit: To be honest, if I became a celebrity for whatever reason, I'd probably want to make sure everyone got an autograph. I think there would eventually come a point where I'd be like: "no more". I would want to make sure everyone got what they came for though.....an autograph.
Then you get people turning up to events, with two things they want signing, and the celebrity's restricted to one, etc.
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 21:13
zx50
Forum Member

Then you get people turning up to events, with two things they want signing, and the celebrity's restricted to one, etc.
I'd just politely tell them that I'd been restricted to one signature. If they weren't happy, well, I couldn't help that. I wouldn't be happy about being restricted to just one signature though.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 21:54
Tejas
Forum Member

Oh I have a bit of paper with a written scribbly word on it. My life is now complete.
That's a bit harsh! I like getting autographs - its a nice souvenir of a memorable moment, meeting someone I admire.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:24
Lilaeth
Forum Member

Chris Hoy was signing autographs while the team was waiting to get into the stadium last night - thought that was very nice of him!
Lilaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 09:40
Joey Boswell
Forum Member

Chris Hoy was signing autographs while the team was waiting to get into the stadium last night - thought that was very nice of him!
Chris Hoy is class.
Joey Boswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 15:02
Dennis C
Forum Member

Why not do both?

Actually these days a lot of people have an alternative to asking for autographs. They ask for the celeb to put an answerphone message on their mobile phone.

Imagine Barbara Windsor doing that for you. " Hey luv, this is Peggy Mitchell here. XXXXX isn't able to take your call at the moment, leave a message after the beep. Then GET OFF THE LINE AND OUTA MY PUB!!" I think that only someone without a sense of humour wouldn't see the jolly in that!
Old 28-07-2012, 16:21
intoxication
Forum Member

Why not do both?

Actually these days a lot of people have an alternative to asking for autographs. They ask for the celeb to put an answerphone message on their mobile phone.

Imagine Barbara Windsor doing that for you. " Hey luv, this is Peggy Mitchell here. XXXXX isn't able to take your call at the moment, leave a message after the beep. Then GET OFF THE LINE AND OUTA MY PUB!!" I think that only someone without a sense of humour wouldn't see the jolly in that!
If I heard that I'd roll my eyes and think How tacky that they paid money for one of those celebrity voice-a-like answerphone messages
intoxication is offline   Reply With Quote