Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why Were The Announcements In French?

Old 28-07-2012, 15:55
DFI
Forum Member

France - or at least the Académie Française - would like to think so.

In fact, Arabic, Spanish and Portugese easily beat French in terms of usage worldwide though French is very popular as a language to learn... after English.
Popular to teach, not necessarily popular to learn

I never really understand why French is taught as the primary foreign language in schools. More British people go to Spain every year than France, Spanish is spoken by more people than French, in more countries, and its much easier to learn if you're a native English speaker.
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-07-2012, 16:15
lundavra
Forum Member

We wondered this too. I was under the impression that Chinese and English were the most spoken languages so would have thought they would have been the languages used.

It makes sense now though.
Can you imagine the Frogs agreeing to that?
lundavra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 16:19
Paace
Forum Member

It's a traditional agreement that as a Frenchman created the games that the speak his language first just what they do.
I thought it all began in Greece. So shouldn't they have announced in Greek first, then French and lastly English.
Paace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 20:28
davie1924
Forum Member

I (wrongly) assumed that the French may have been hosting the next Games so that was the reasoning behind it. Thanks guys for pointing it out.
davie1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 18:53
Froggie72
Forum Member

Whilst it is widely spoken in France, half of Belgium some bits of Switzerland, tiny bits of North Africa and the odd tiny island dotted about here and there, it is no where near English in terms of its usage.
Its the "Official Language of the IOC" which is why it preceded every other announcement but mainly its a little bit of French conceit.
You've forgotten Quebec...
Froggie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 19:11
lundavra
Forum Member

And Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Old 29-07-2012, 19:30
Froggie72
Forum Member

and Cameroon, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Gabon... Francophone Africa had a population of 349 million in 2011
Froggie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 21:04
hallstar
Forum Member

Isn't the IOC also based in the French speaking part of Switzerland as well?
hallstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 21:51
jerseyporter
Forum Member

It would have been helpful if the commentators had explained it as it seems a lot of people were confused about the announcements.
They did! I had guessed what the reason was when I was watching the opening ceremony with my daughters, but shortly afterwards someone (can't remember which of them it was) explained about French being the 'first language' of the Olympics.

So it was explained in the commentary on the night - it might only have been a passing comment, but it was there all the same!
jerseyporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 08:02
roddydogs
Forum Member

So why "on your marks" is in English?
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 10:49
lundavra
Forum Member

Doesn't each individual sport operate to the rules set by the governing body of that sport, I have a feeling some sports traditionally use some French words.

The IOC control directly the languages used in the formal parts of the Games like medal presentations.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:49
DFI
Forum Member

Because it has nothing to do with the IOC?
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:37
chriskross
Forum Member

Whilst it is widely spoken in France, half of Belgium some bits of Switzerland, tiny bits of North Africa and the odd tiny island dotted about here and there, it is no where near English in terms of its usage.
Its the "Official Language of the IOC" which is why it preceded every other announcement but mainly its a little bit of French conceit.
No it's because IOC is Swiss.
chriskross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 22:49
MissCulture
Inactive Member

Christ, they don't speak proper French in Quebec - even the French in France cannot understand them!
MissCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 22:55
MissCulture
Inactive Member

I thought it all began in Greece. So shouldn't they have announced in Greek first, then French and lastly English.
The games were resurrected by Pierre de Coubertin in 1896 - he was French and as French was the language of international diplomacy back then so French became the first language of the Games. It remains so to this day and I am aghast at how ignorant people are about this aspect of the Olympic Games. It has never been a secret so why - given we have Google and Wiki at our fingertips today - are so many people asking 'why is everything said in French first' in 2012??? I mean...do some bloody homework!
MissCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 22:59
mr_wonderful
Forum Member

No it's because IOC is Swiss.
Why aren't the announcements in Swiss then?
mr_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:08
Paace
Forum Member

The games were resurrected by Pierre de Coubertin in 1896 - he was French and as French was the language of international diplomacy back then so French became the first language of the Games. It remains so to this day and I am aghast at how ignorant people are about this aspect of the Olympic Games. It has never been a secret so why - given we have Google and Wiki at our fingertips today - are so many people asking 'why is everything said in French first' in 2012??? I mean...do some bloody homework!
So what!!! My point still stands. The Olympics originated in Greece and Greek should be the First language used.

Of course I know the real reason and poor Greece is now considered a small player on the world stage while France is one of the main players in Europe/World.

Of course the UK has to bend over backwards to be politically correct at all times.
Paace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 23:54
lundavra
Forum Member

So what!!! My point still stands. The Olympics originated in Greece and Greek should be the First language used.

Of course I know the real reason and poor Greece is now considered a small player on the world stage while France is one of the main players in Europe/World.

Of course the UK has to bend over backwards to be politically correct at all times.
I think the format of the modern Games has as much connection to the Games a couple of thousand years ago as the chaps in white robes at Stonehenge have to the original Druids.
Old 05-08-2012, 13:16
JeffG1
Forum Member

I think the format of the modern Games has as much connection to the Games a couple of thousand years ago as the chaps in white robes at Stonehenge have to the original Druids.
True enough, since they used to compete naked - though the beach volleyball comes close
JeffG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:40
JohnnyForget
Forum Member

Why aren't the announcements in Swiss then?
Because the Headquarters of the IOC is in Lausanne, which is in the French speaking part of of Switzerland, not the Swiss-German speaking part of that nation.
JohnnyForget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:05
Iphigenia
Forum Member

Par-ce que c'est la première langue des jeux Olympiques?
Iphigenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:15
Crimsonmon
Forum Member

The same reason the judo calls are in Japanese and the fencing in French.
Crimsonmon is offline   Reply With Quote