Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Gazza back in rehab

Old 13-08-2012, 18:48
Blondie X
Forum Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...es-Valium.html

Such a contrast after seeing the new sporting heros emerge at London 2012 to a former hero as a shell of a human.

Sadly, I think the top comment is right. He's going down the Best route and there doesn't seem to be a way back now. He won't make 50
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-08-2012, 18:50
FusionFury
Forum Member

So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Can't help but think if he had a stronger manager..
FusionFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 18:54
DiamondDoll
Forum Member

Sad to see him in the clutches of his demons once more.

Hope he can find the strength to fight this again.
DiamondDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 18:58
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

He said recently he wasn't going to end up like George Best.

Sadly, I think he's going to.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:26
Blondie X
Forum Member

So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Can't help but think if he had a stronger manager..
My OH always said things could have been different if he'd signed for Man U.
Old 13-08-2012, 19:32
Chip Popple
Forum Member

My OH always said things could have been different if he'd signed for Man U.

I agree with your OH, Fergie would have been a tougher disciplinarian than Venables.

This is so sad, but I'm not surprised - he was such a great talent too
Chip Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:36
Lordy Lordy
Forum Member

I'm afraid any sympathy I had for Gazza went west a long time ago.

How many chances does he think he'll have left before he kills himself?
Lordy Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:40
haphash
Forum Member

Why should sympathy run out? I don't understand.

He is a troubled man and I would like him to be happy and successful. I hope that he can turn his life around.
haphash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 19:43
Chip Popple
Forum Member

Gazza is an addict, sympathy would be of no use to him, only proper, sustained, professional help.
Old 13-08-2012, 21:45
Betty Britain

I honestly don't think anyone can help Gazza.. Whatever his demons are ..
Betty Britain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 21:55
Blondie X
Forum Member

One of the big problems Gazza has is that he doesn't appear to have any real back up from those who surround him.

He can have all the rehab in the world but, unless he has a support sytem when he comes out, he'll fall of the wagon time and time again.

I remember watching a programme about him before and, even after he announced he was an alcoholic, his family were still taking him down the pub. It's like they don't really understand or want to.
Old 13-08-2012, 21:57
gulliverfoyle
Inactive Member

I see him out and about in Boscombe now and then

always says hello
gulliverfoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 21:58
Chip Popple
Forum Member

One of the big problems Gazza has is that he doesn't appear to have any real back up from those who surround him.

He can have all the rehab in the world but, unless he has a support sytem when he comes out, he'll fall of the wagon time and time again.

I remember watching a programme about him before and, even after he announced he was an alcoholic, his family were still taking him down the pub. It's like they don't really understand or want to.

Totally agree. It's a pretty desperate situation, poor old Gazza
Old 13-08-2012, 22:07
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Remember when he turned up at Roaul Moat's siege, with some food to be taken in to him?
Phoenix Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 22:11
QWERTYOP
Inactive Member

I'm sick of reading his endless "i'm back on the wagon, honest this time" interviews (which I'll bet he was always well paid for). The man will go the same way George Best did. I've no doubt about it. Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.
QWERTYOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 02:10
exlordlucan
Forum Member

I'm sick of reading his endless "i'm back on the wagon, honest this time" interviews (which I'll bet he was always well paid for). The man will go the same way George Best did. I've no doubt about it. Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.
What branch of the medical profession are you in?
exlordlucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 02:26
Louise_Wood
Forum Member

If only it was that simple, I lost my beloved cousin at 37 to alcohol.
Louise_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 04:51
DiamondDoll
Forum Member

In this case, ignorance is not bliss.

Alcoholism is a chronic, lifelong disease. However, if managed properly, damage to the brain can be stopped and to some extent reversed. In addition to problem drinking, the disease is characterized by symptoms including an impaired control over alcohol, compulsive thoughts about alcohol, and distorted thinking. Alcoholism can also lead indirectly, through excess consumption, to physical dependence on alcohol, and diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease..._of_alcoholism
DiamondDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 09:16
Osusana
Forum Member

Gazza is an addict, sympathy would be of no use to him, only proper, sustained, professional help.
No it wouldn't

I have worked on alcohol treatment units and was married to an alcoholic for 17 years. Professional help was sought so many times and given - it was however rejected by the addict because alcohol was all he wanted.

No amount of professional help can stop a person drinking - they have to want to do it. Some of them do not want to do it enough.
Osusana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 09:49
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Alcholism is not an illness. Cancer is an illness. Those who want to rid themselves of alcholism enough, do. You cannot willpower an illness away.
Addiction is an illness. It can be an addiction to sugar, booze or drugs, but it's extremely difficult to cure if you have an addictive personality.

Amy Winehouse is a case in point. After she'd been to rehab, she was seen buying and eating vast quantities of sweets, but drink killed her in the end, so it looks as if she needed some kind of addiction otherwise she couldn't get through her day or her life.

Gazza seems to have no support from his family, and if as others have said, they take him to the pub when he's with them, he doesn't need them either. He's had countless courses of rehab, but in the end nothing seems to benefit him.
Old 14-08-2012, 10:29
MJS
Forum Member

I'm not at all surprised at this news.

I have worked on alcohol treatment units and was married to an alcoholic for 17 years. Professional help was sought so many times and given - it was however rejected by the addict because alcohol was all he wanted.

No amount of professional help can stop a person drinking - they have to want to do it. Some of them do not want to do it enough.
You are right. He says he's an alcoholic, but has he actually admitted it to himself. It doesn't sound as if he has. Only he can stop drinking. It would be great if he had family/friends/doctors backing him up (and not the type who would take him to a pub), but at the end of the day it's down to him.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 16:30
My Sweet Life
Forum Member

You've never had to see someone you love and care about battle alcohol addiction, have you?
My Sweet Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 19:12
asp746
Forum Member

i cant stand gazza, i empathise with his addiction struggles but it's the way he's treated his family that's disgusting.
asp746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 22:03
JoLuc
Inactive Member

You've never had to see someone you love and care about battle alcohol addiction, have you?
I have. My mother.
She ****ed up 5 sons.
I have no sympathy with any selfish alcoholic.
So shove it!!!
JoLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 23:22
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

I have. My mother.
She ****ed up 5 sons.
I have no sympathy with any selfish alcoholic.
So shove it!!!

Doesn't sound as though your mother wanted to give up the booze for either herself or her five sons.