Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Total Recall ~ early review

Old 22-08-2012, 07:56
Barry Potter
Inactive Member

Okay, so I saw Total Recall in Bordeaux last week. I thought it was good, but not great.

Fx wise, it was nicely made with a bladerunner~esque dystopian feel to it.

Spoiler
Barry Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:42
Hugh Jboobs
Forum Member

Is the woman with three tits in it though?
Hugh Jboobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 10:57
dee1979
Forum Member

Very good...
dee1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 10:59
moonburn
Forum Member

apparently yes.
moonburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:09
Inspiration
Forum Member

"Consider this a divorce!"
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 13:29
EVILSPEAK
Forum Member

No Michael Ironside = me no watch.
EVILSPEAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 22:04
JimothyD
Forum Member

It's Michael Bay isn't it? And he's STILL doing that annoying 'camera revolving around the scene' effect.

Why is it that in both Total Recall films, the wife who turns out to be a baddie is fitter than the girl the character ends up allying with? Stone and Beckinsale > the nobodies who play the love interest.
JimothyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:23
teeswolf
Forum Member

Why is it that in both Total Recall films, the wife who turns out to be a baddie is fitter than the girl the character ends up allying with? Stone and Beckinsale > the nobodies who play the love interest.
Jessica Biel is in no way a nobody and she is equally as gorgeous as miss Beckinsale.
teeswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 11:52
soran
Forum Member

Sure is
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...50_634x709.jpg
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 13:08
Miss Haversham
Forum Member

Watched this last night and it was ok, some nice little touches harking back to the original. I would have to watch it again to establish which version I prefer, but I wasn't outraged by the effort, whilst being a fan of Ironside's work (my personal highlight being Starship Troopers!) I think Kate Bekinsales version was quite good, in fact she reminded me a bit of Kristiana Loken from T3 in her persistence. Not Jessica's Biels best performance though, in my opinion

Last edited by Miss Haversham : 24-08-2012 at 13:09. Reason: flaming typo's - again!
Miss Haversham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 00:09
kcspurs
Forum Member

No Michael Ironside = me no watch.
i agree. he was great in the original
kcspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 00:44
NoseyLouie
Forum Member

I shall wait for it to come out on DVD..meh I wasn't overly impressed with the trailer, or the spoilers on here..meh!
NoseyLouie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 01:55
Matt D
Forum Member

I can't be bothered. Why spend a tenner to see this when I can just watch the Arnie original on BD at home?
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 02:59
Ash_735
Forum Member

I'm mainly interested in this just for Bryan Cranston, he filmed this between Series of Breaking Bad so am quite curious to how good of a character he plays in it.
Ash_735 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 07:53
Muttley76
Forum Member

when i went to see the expendables 2 at the cinema they played an extended trailer for this, and it seemed to go on forever. I felt like I'd seen half the film, and none of looked any good whatsoever.
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 16:28
JEFF62
Forum Member

when i went to see the expendables 2 at the cinema they played an extended trailer for this, and it seemed to go on forever. I felt like I'd seen half the film, and none of looked any good whatsoever.
Yes I saw the extended trailer before Expendables 2. It called it a Cineworld exclusive with footage only at Cineworld. But yes it did seem to go on for ages and i felt i didng need to see the film as this was like a shortened version of it!
JEFF62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 23:42
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

I can't be bothered. Why spend a tenner to see this when I can just watch the Arnie original on BD at home?
...which was great entertainment or indeed the excellent original We can remember it for you wholesale story by Philip K Dick which will be repeated on BBC Radio 4 Extra some time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ft10t

As with the Planet of the Apes remake, it's so unoriginal to do a second rate remake of a classic original film. In my view, there's only ever one justification for doing a remake and that's if the film was first made in a foreign language.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 01:02
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

...and here is the Reader's Digest condensed version of Total Recall 2012 for your visual entertainment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAvdQF7Ypo (official trailer)
Old 27-08-2012, 08:32
Scubamonkey
Forum Member

. In my view, there's only ever one justification for doing a remake and that's if the film was first made in a foreign language.
Really? is reading subtitles just too much for you? And following your logic about low quality remakes, have you every actually compared many of the "Hollywood remakes" With the foreign language originals? Talk about low quality remakes....
Scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:13
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Really? is reading subtitles just too much for you? And following your logic about low quality remakes, have you every actually compared many of the "Hollywood remakes" With the foreign language originals? Talk about low quality remakes....
Now that's being prematurely judgemental because I personally am quite happy with subtitled films, e.g. French, Spanish, etc. and as a speaker of one of the Scandinavian languages, I am very happy to watch content on British TV that originally comes from Sweden, Denmark and Norway (can't understand Icelandic though - far too distantly related). Indeed, I've said before in the Broadcasting forum that I'd really like to see the Franco-German Arte channel be broadcast free to air with English subtitles from the 28*2E satellite cluster that serves the British Isles.

However, I appreciate that many people don't get on with subtitled foreign language films so under those circumstances a remake would be justified in my view. I suppose dubbing is an option but when it has been done it seems mediocre to poor.
Old 29-08-2012, 19:48
Stansfield
Forum Member

For me, best 'Action' film I've seen this year, 8/10 and I'm not a fan of Colin Farrell .

Not as many laughs as the original, it was a comedy wasn't it, but still, CGI stunning, fight scenes, bone crunching and Kate Beckinsale was born to kick ass, with Jessica Biel.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 20:33
Ella71110
Forum Member

I loved it! it was the first time i'd used IMAX to watch a film-apart from the price it is the way forward as far as watching films at the cinema-i only wish i'd seen The Dark Knight Rising in IMAX-but Total Recall was a great action film
Ella71110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 22:59
scoobyju1
Forum Member

Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (went to see Bourne but there was a cock up so Total Recall was shown instead!)

Having not seen the original for years, I'd forgotten a lot of it but I thought the action sequences were very good. Could have been 15mins shorter & was confusing in parts but I'd give it 7/10.
scoobyju1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 04:16
Bob_Whinger
Forum Member

I enjoyed it.
It seems to be getting poor reviews in the press. It is an enjoyable sci-fi high action movie with blade Runner type city-scape.
Bob_Whinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 11:47
Chickens hit
Forum Member

Saw this today and actually enjoyed it far more than I expected.It didn't clash in my mind with the Arnie version at all even though there were numerous nods to that film throughout. I loved the look of the film although I expected the UK scenes to be the rainy ones rather than the Colony, was that an injoke by chance? The Fall would be very handy to have in reality. Proper commuter travel.

Colin Farrell was fine in the lead whilst Jessica Biel didn't really make that much of an impression to be honest. Kate Beckinsale played her part like a thing posessed with her dogged pursuit and her seeming indestructability. Nothing like a scorned woman to hold a grudge.

Nowhere near to being a classic, but an enjoyable way to waste a couple of hours all told.
Chickens hit is offline   Reply With Quote