Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

iOS 6 Thoughts?

Old 20-09-2012, 00:03
late8
Forum Member

I've downloaded IOS6 on my iPad 2, Maps is rubbish, no street view , no Siri, can't see what the 200 new features are, totally unimpressed.
Classic Apple froth and bollocks.

people starting to realise how much they BS. The 200 new features are the same thing updated basically. Most of which are hidden in the running of the OS.

Maps is a total step backwards IMO. + the OS does feel slower!. Im shure they do it on everything but the newest device (iPhone5) to make everything else slower.
late8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-09-2012, 00:04
Pablo Diablo
Forum Member

Messages and FaceTime on my MacBook can now receive messages/calls sent to my phone number! I've been waiting for this since I first installed Messages Beta months ago... probably the only iOS6 feature I'll use
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:07
mia75
Forum Member

I really love the 'do not disturb' feature. If only just for the little moon lol
mia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:09
whoever,hey
Forum Member

I've downloaded IOS6 on my iPad 2, Maps is rubbish, no street view , no Siri, can't see what the 200 new features are, totally unimpressed.
I knew i didn't get Siri on my iPhone 4, but not even ipad 2!?
whoever,hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:11
IslandNiles
Forum Member

The loss of Google Maps is the big deal here. No StreetView, which is actually really useful, and instead Flyover Maps, which are a gimmick. No turn by turn navigation got the wifi only iPads, no option to download mapping so that navigation works offline.

There isn't much to compensate for the loss of Google Maps. Passbook is thoroughly useless. Facebook integration is okay but nothing to jump up and down about. Siri is alright but voice control is something of a gimmick. The rest of the stuff is just tweaking of existing functions.

Disappointing really.
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:11
swordman
Forum Member

Classic Apple froth and bollocks
froth and bollocks **** nearly pissed myself. .. my new catchphrase unless it's
swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:14
interactiv-uk
Forum Member

Has anyone else noticed wifi isn't working - If you try to join a wifi network you are re-routed to apple.com which then comes up with an error and drops your wifi connection!

Can't use my device since the upgrade.. Useless!!!!!!
interactiv-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:20
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Has anyone else noticed wifi isn't working - If you try to join a wifi network you are re-routed to apple.com which then comes up with an error and drops your wifi connection!

Luckily i've not had that.
Old 20-09-2012, 00:23
Adam14
Forum Member

Same problem here! It's just going to the Apple website... Very strange and annoying!

Maps is not as good, no bus times anymore

It's all a bit disappointing.
Adam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:24
mjdj1689
Forum Member

Never mind I just figured it out. You can 'hide' them
Can you please tell me how you hide them ?

Thanx
mjdj1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:24
Cunny Funt
Forum Member

Wifi working fine here.
Cunny Funt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:25
Unreal
Forum Member

Yep I'm getting the exact same thing. iPhone 4S.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:25
Tigerpaws
Forum Member

Nope wifi on phone and iPad fine which carrier are u using I'm with virgin and no probs
Tigerpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:30
tvhonour
Forum Member

Same issue here with wifi. keeps redirecting to a log in page on apple site that then comes up with an error message. Really not impressed at all. Apple need to learn not to release updates with errors!
tvhonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:30
biggebruv
Forum Member

OMG iv just had this happen to me WTF they better sort this crap out
biggebruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:32
Matt D
Forum Member

Same problem here! It's just going to the Apple website... Very strange and annoying!

Maps is not as good, no bus times anymore

It's all a bit disappointing.
Yep I'm getting the exact same thing. iPhone 4S.
Same issue here with wifi. keeps redirecting to a log in page on apple site that then comes up with an error message. Really not impressed at all. Apple need to learn not to release updates with errors!

YES! ****NG USELESS!

I'm glad I did my iPhone before my iPad. At least my iPhone has 3G!
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:37
The Alpha Gamer
Forum Member

Why would you update on the first day?! There is ALWAYS problems with iOS updates. =/
The Alpha Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:38
whoever,hey
Forum Member

Considering Apple have such a limited amount of devices to work on this is shocking!

Seems like the worst iOS update to date by far.
Old 20-09-2012, 00:48
alanwarwic
Forum Member

Considering Apple have such a limited amount of devices to work on this is shocking!
It is the first major update whilst in a declared war.

Staff will have been under intense pressure to get those alternative maps working they simply took their eyes off the ball.

It happens.
alanwarwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Matt D
Forum Member

Seems like the worst iOS update to date by far.
It took *ages* to do my iPhone, and then when it finally finished I couldn't connect to my damn WiFi!
-ajm-
Forum Member

I think i've worked it out.
Since version 4 I beleive, open networks always loaded http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and looked for the word Success.
With iOS 6 it does this for encrypted networks aswell and since the page failed iDevices assumed that a login was requred because it couldn't see the word Success.

What worries me is that it might have gone down due to volume of traffic which could result in this happening often.

Onavo is giving me problems aswell since it loads the login page using cell data not wifi and therefore I will have to uninstall it to use wifi.
-ajm- is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:50
Matt D
Forum Member

OK, info on the WiFi COCK UP:

Temporary fix found via Twitter (it worked for me):

https://twitter.com/MatthewWebbUK

#ios6 WiFi fix is: settings > wifi > blue arrow on your router in the list > set http to auto instead of off.

Background:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=90&tstart=0

Here is what is going on. Ever since iOS 4(?) there has been a feature where if you connect to a WiFi network it will try to ping this site:http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

If it is a success then it lets you connect, if it is not a success the phone trys to bring up what would be a Login page for corporate wifi networks. Example, public access points that have a login page, etc.

It seems that some moron at Apple deleted the file located at http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and that is why it is not working.

This is not an iOS 6 issue but rather a problem with Apple's website.

Rebooting your phone will not help, nothing will help until Apple fixes the problem on their end.
Old 20-09-2012, 00:54
Matt D
Forum Member

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/33...medium=twitter

Apparently Apple has fixed it by putting the page back.
Old 20-09-2012, 00:55
IslandNiles
Forum Member

Maps is terribly sluggish on my iPad 3 when scrolling at certain zoom levels, in a way that Google Maps never used to be.
IslandNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:55
wilt
Forum Member

I think i've worked it out.
Since version 4 I beleive, open networks always loaded http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and looked for the word Success.
With iOS 6 it does this for encrypted networks aswell and since the page failed iDevices assumed that a login was requred because it couldn't see the word Success.
That sounds like a terrible idea.
wilt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote