iOS 6 Thoughts?

Comments

• Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Messages and FaceTime on my MacBook can now receive messages/calls sent to my phone number! I've been waiting for this since I first installed Messages Beta months ago... probably the only iOS6 feature I'll use :D
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I really love the 'do not disturb' feature. If only just for the little moon lol :o
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen93 wrote: »
    I've downloaded IOS6 on my iPad 2, Maps is rubbish, no street view , no Siri, can't see what the 200 new features are, totally unimpressed.

I knew i didn't get Siri on my iPhone 4, but not even ipad 2!? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The loss of Google Maps is the big deal here. No StreetView, which is actually really useful, and instead Flyover Maps, which are a gimmick. No turn by turn navigation got the wifi only iPads, no option to download mapping so that navigation works offline.

There isn't much to compensate for the loss of Google Maps. Passbook is thoroughly useless. Facebook integration is okay but nothing to jump up and down about. Siri is alright but voice control is something of a gimmick. The rest of the stuff is just tweaking of existing functions.

Disappointing really.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    Classic Apple froth and bollocks

froth and bollocks **** nearly pissed myself. .. my new catchphrase unless it's © :D
  • interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed wifi isn't working - If you try to join a wifi network you are re-routed to apple.com which then comes up with an error and drops your wifi connection!

Can't use my device since the upgrade.. Useless!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed wifi isn't working - If you try to join a wifi network you are re-routed to apple.com which then comes up with an error and drops your wifi connection!

Luckily i've not had that.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same problem here! It's just going to the Apple website... Very strange and annoying!

Maps is not as good, no bus times anymore :(

It's all a bit disappointing.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind I just figured it out. You can 'hide' them

Can you please tell me how you hide them ?

Thanx
  • Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wifi working fine here.
  • UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member

Yep I'm getting the exact same thing. iPhone 4S.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope wifi on phone and iPad fine which carrier are u using I'm with virgin and no probs
  • tvhonourtvhonour Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue here with wifi. keeps redirecting to a log in page on apple site that then comes up with an error message. Really not impressed at all. Apple need to learn not to release updates with errors!
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member

OMG iv just had this happen to me WTF they better sort this crap out
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Adam14 wrote: »
    Same problem here! It's just going to the Apple website... Very strange and annoying!

Maps is not as good, no bus times anymore :(

It's all a bit disappointing.
    Unreal wrote: »
    Yep I'm getting the exact same thing. iPhone 4S.
    tvhonour wrote: »
    Same issue here with wifi. keeps redirecting to a log in page on apple site that then comes up with an error message. Really not impressed at all. Apple need to learn not to release updates with errors!

YES! ****NG USELESS! :mad:

I'm glad I did my iPhone before my iPad. At least my iPhone has 3G!
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you update on the first day?! There is ALWAYS problems with iOS updates. =/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvhonour wrote: »

Considering Apple have such a limited amount of devices to work on this is shocking!

Seems like the worst iOS update to date by far.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering Apple have such a limited amount of devices to work on this is shocking!
    It is the first major update whilst in a declared war.

Staff will have been under intense pressure to get those alternative maps working they simply took their eyes off the ball.

It happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seems like the worst iOS update to date by far.

It took *ages* to do my iPhone, and then when it finally finished I couldn't connect to my damn WiFi! :rolleyes:
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,767
    Forum Member

I think i've worked it out.
    Since version 4 I beleive, open networks always loaded http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and looked for the word Success.
    With iOS 6 it does this for encrypted networks aswell and since the page failed iDevices assumed that a login was requred because it couldn't see the word Success.

What worries me is that it might have gone down due to volume of traffic which could result in this happening often.

Onavo is giving me problems aswell since it loads the login page using cell data not wifi and therefore I will have to uninstall it to use wifi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, info on the WiFi COCK UP:

Temporary fix found via Twitter (it worked for me):

https://twitter.com/MatthewWebbUK
    #ios6 WiFi fix is: settings > wifi > blue arrow on your router in the list > set http to auto instead of off.

Background:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310335?start=90&tstart=0
    Here is what is going on. Ever since iOS 4(?) there has been a feature where if you connect to a WiFi network it will try to ping this site:http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

If it is a success then it lets you connect, if it is not a success the phone trys to bring up what would be a Login page for corporate wifi networks. Example, public access points that have a login page, etc.

It seems that some moron at Apple deleted the file located at http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and that is why it is not working.

This is not an iOS 6 issue but rather a problem with Apple's website.

Rebooting your phone will not help, nothing will help until Apple fixes the problem on their end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maps is terribly sluggish on my iPad 3 when scrolling at certain zoom levels, in a way that Google Maps never used to be.
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    I think i've worked it out.
    Since version 4 I beleive, open networks always loaded http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and looked for the word Success.
    With iOS 6 it does this for encrypted networks aswell and since the page failed iDevices assumed that a login was requred because it couldn't see the word Success.

That sounds like a terrible idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem but you just skip it and go into Wifi after you have finished the set up and your internet will be there.

Maybe people can stop shitting a proverbial brick now.