Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Looper - Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Old 05-10-2012, 08:53
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

Can't wait to see this.
Fear of Fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:52
Dave1979
Forum Member

I enjoyed Looper at the time, but the plot doesn't stand up to much scrutiny. I'm not bothered by time travel paradoxes, but other stuff.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was amazed by the number of confused people commenting coming out of the cinema. It was not that complicated. If films like this and Inception had the basic level of complexity and brain-engagment for Holywood films I would be happy.
Dave1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:37
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Loved it. One of the best movies I've seen of this year and possibly all time.

All these people claiming that the lack of it looking futuristic was an issue are weird, you look back at older films which tried to predict the future, they were all wrong, they all went too over the top and ridiculous, whereas this film got it right, it was futuristic and you could tell, but it was very much grounded.
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 20:17
Mallaha
Forum Member

I liked the future as a clapped out version of now, with some cool token technology (jet bikes) and a few mutations thrown in.

The time travel bits were rather confusing - people have said here what I thought though, so I won't repeat stuff.

Spoiler

I was quite interested in the other Loopers, and disappointed that they weren't really major characters. And what was the relationship between the Gat-Men and the Loopers? What did the Gat-Men spend most of their time doing?
Mallaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 20:22
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Spoiler

I was quite interested in the other Loopers, and disappointed that they weren't really major characters. And what was the relationship between the Gat-Men and the Loopers? What did the Gat-Men spend most of their time doing?
Spoiler

[I may be entirely wrong with both of those. This being DS, I'd assume someone will jump in and call me stupid if that's the case]
Old 05-10-2012, 20:39
Mallaha
Forum Member

Spoiler

[I may be entirely wrong with both of those. This being DS, I'd assume someone will jump in and call me stupid if that's the case]
Hmmm.

Spoiler
Old 05-10-2012, 21:15
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Hmmm.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Also, thank you for being the only reasonable person on DS, for correcting me, without calling me names or informing me that I'm stupid and don't deserve to be alive...
Old 05-10-2012, 22:22
Mallaha
Forum Member

Spoiler

Also, thank you for being the only reasonable person on DS, for correcting me, without calling me names or informing me that I'm stupid and don't deserve to be alive...
Why would I do that? We're only chatting about a film.

Going back to what we were saying, he's not the only character that may have suffered this fate.

Spoiler
Old 05-10-2012, 22:30
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Why would I do that? We're only chatting about a film.

Going back to what we were saying, he's not the only character that may have suffered this fate.

Spoiler
Apparently he goofs slightly in the shot where he's spinning his gun (I read somewhere Johnson chose that shot deliberately, because it made him laugh), so maybe he did or maybe he didn't, again not mentioned in the film. I think Johnson assumed you'd just accept it, and not question it, although it is kinda irrelevant, so I doubt he gave it tonnes of thought....
Old 05-10-2012, 22:50
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Also, just done a quick Google and apparently Sony Pictures Germany will be releasing Looper on blu-ray in February (21st to be precise), so we can expect a similar time over here. It's being released by Entertainment One in the UK, but based on their treatment of previous films it's unlikely to be that long a wait (2 days after the US, 6 before Germany for the one I checked)
Old 07-10-2012, 13:46
brangdon
Forum Member

Spoiler
Spoiler
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:49
SarahMarie
Forum Member

Thought Looper was great but a bit patchy. Didn't like the time machine, wish it had been a bit more original! JGL was excellent though:

Few of my thoughts on the film here - http://www.thisisafilmblog.com/looper-2012/
SarahMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:54
maurice45
Forum Member

I loved the film.

Spoiler
maurice45 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40
Muttley76
Forum Member

I thought this was pretty terrific, actually, and I went in a bit sceptical. I thought it was a smart concept, very well executed. Really nicely done. 9/10
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:29
Matt35
Forum Member

Saw this yesterday. thought it was ok but nothing special. one think i didn`t quite get, maybe someone could clear up.
Spoiler
Matt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 15:34
metanoia
Forum Member

Spoiler
metanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 17:06
Matt35
Forum Member

Thanks.
Matt35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02
Rhodes666
Forum Member

Saw this yesterday. thought it was ok but nothing special. one think i didn`t quite get, maybe someone could clear up.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Rhodes666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43
dbob
Forum Member

Saw this last night and enjoyed it very much.

Interesting story that made a change from the usual paint-by-numbers Hollywood sci-fi affairs we are use to.

I liked the directors vision of the future, it was well executed and felt very realistic. Can't believe some people are moaning about it not being futuristic enough, if you want flying cars and laser beams then maybe rubbish like Total Recall re-make is more up your street.

The whole mechanics of time travel can become a total mind f*** if you think about them too much so better to just switch off those thoughts and enjoy the film for what it is, a well made piece of sci-fi.

I would say a 4 out of 5, not as mind blowing as the Matrix but still one of my fav films of the year.
dbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 15:31
MemphisJaxx
Forum Member

I haven't seen this film but do intend to. I enjoy a good time-travel film as much as the next man however I find myself struggling with the flaws and paradoxes in most of these types of films and end up annoying the other half by talking incoherently about 'mistakes'.

Are there alot of holes in this film?
Or am I simply as annoying as the misses says?

I should state that at this point in time I am no master of the laws of time-travel. According to a familiar-looking, old man I met, I won't aquire that knowledge for a few decades yet. The crazy old fool!
MemphisJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:18
metanoia
Forum Member

I haven't seen this film but do intend to. I enjoy a good time-travel film as much as the next man however I find myself struggling with the flaws and paradoxes in most of these types of films and end up annoying the other half by talking incoherently about 'mistakes'.

Are there alot of holes in this film?
Or am I simply as annoying as the misses says?

I should state that at this point in time I am no master of the laws of time-travel. According to a familiar-looking, old man I met, I won't aquire that knowledge for a few decades yet. The crazy old fool!
I'm quite similar to you in this respect, but I didn't really see that many errors (at least in the way time travel works in the film) whilst viewing it. On reflection after the film I did wonder why the main character made certain choices towards the end, when he had other less drastic alternatives.

Great film all in all, very nice to see intelligent Sci-fi again.
metanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:28
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. One of those films that was a teeny bit confusing to follow initially but as it went on, it all made more sense and in the end, it was spot on. very good indeed.
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:54
rombod
Forum Member

I really liked this, but there was one glaring inconsistency I thought. Or at least I think it was a hole:

Spoiler
rombod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:14
SlashNX
Forum Member

I really liked this, but there was one glaring inconsistency I thought. Or at least I think it was a hole:

Spoiler
The answer to your question

Spoiler
SlashNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:52
rombod
Forum Member

The answer to your question
Ah, thanks, some of that makes sense to me. But:
Spoiler
rombod is offline   Reply With Quote