Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC iPlayer via PC

Old 15-11-2012, 17:07
drempire
Forum Member

Thanks this worked great, i also managed to get all my old programs back with what you said, the step with the registry i do not think is needed but best to it any ways
This happened to me today

IPlayer has been working perfectly since installation until I updated Adobe Air to version 3.5 this morning after which it went caput.

I am running Windows 7. I am certain the the fault lies with the Adobe Air v3.5 update.

Before you do all the stuff below, it might be worth just uninstalling Adobe AIR v3.5 via the Control Panel, and then downloading and installing v3.1 from the OldApps website: http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php?old_adobe_air=6837

If that doesn't work, keep reading ...

I tried all sorts of things to get it working again until the following method worked (unfortunately by then I had deleted all my downloads thinking they might have become corrupted):

1) Unistall Adobe AIR via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

2) Uninstall BBC iPlayer desktop via the Control Panel / Remove Programs

3) Delete the following 2 folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\BBCiPlayerDesktop.61DB7A798358575D6A969CCD73DDBBD723A6DA9D.1

4) I also made a backup copy of my Registry and deleted the AIR and iPlayer registry keys using regedit. (Use Edit / Find "iPlayer" to locate them).

The keys should be located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

Not certain if this step is strictly ecessary, but it worked ok for me.

5) If you haven't already deleted your BBC iPlayer/repository folder which contains all your downloaded programmes (usually located in My Videos unless you have changed the default folder for your downloads)

i.e. C:\Users\[your user name]\Videos\BBC iPlayer

DON'T delete it, unless you are really not worried about losing all your downloads.

Instead, make a backup copy of it in a different location on your computer, and rename your original repository to repository-bak.

(I'm not sure whether my method will reinstate your downloaded programmes in your original repository or not, as I had already deleted mine)

6) I also removed BBC iPlayer and Adobe Updaters from the startup list via msconfig (not certain if this is strictly necessary though).

7) Reboot your computer.

8) Open your browser and go the BBC iPlayer webiste.

9) Select a programme to download.

Your should automatically be asked if you want to download and install iPlayer desktop, to which you should agree, then follow the installation instructions.

This installation, crucially, will include Adobe AIR v3.1 (not v3.5)

Hopefully this will see your iPlayer desktop working again.

DO NOT UPDATE your Adobe AIR again!!

Annoyingly it will repeatedly ask you if you want to update it and doesn't give you the option not to ask you again You just have to select "Update Later"

If you have saved a back up of your repository, exit iPlayer desktop, first backup or rename your new repository folder, and try reinstating your old one, then restart iPlayer Desktop.

If this doesn't work, you will need to reinstate the backup of your new repository folder in the same way.

If anyone is successful in reinstating their previously downloaded prorammes, please post this on the forum - thanks.
drempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-11-2012, 19:36
charliehas
Forum Member

In the first instance, I went back to Adobe Air 3.4 which didn't work, then neither did 3.1. On somebody else's recommendation, I used Air 3.4.0.2540 which has worked, saving too much further kerfuffle.

It can be found here: http://www.oldapps.com/adobe_air.php?old_adobe_air=8210

Saved moving repositories etc etc

Good Luck!
charliehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 01:58
Stigid
Forum Member

There has been an update to Air from 3.4.0.2540 to 3.4.0.2710 which is now available (Auto download when BBC iPlayer opened)

Seems to work OK.
Stigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:47
teendude
Forum Member

Just to let you guys know
I've been trying to fix this for over two weeks now!

I have uninstalled, deleted loads of folders etc...

And just then I finally tried deleting the repository folder with downloaded shows in.. and this has fixed it.

So annoying that I'll have to redownload them again but I guess you should try that if all else fails!
teendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:52
Stigid
Forum Member

And just then I finally tried deleting the repository folder with downloaded shows in.. and this has fixed it.

So annoying that I'll have to redownload them again but I guess you should try that if all else fails!
I did that last time too, back in April.

Now I have SKY+HD with BBC iPlayer, I rarely use the desktop version.

With Apple iMac, reverting back to Air 3.4.2710 works for me.

I just wonder when will AIR release a 3.5 or 3.6 update that works.

Or the BBC for iPlayer.
Stigid is offline   Reply With Quote