Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Les Miserables

Old 27-12-2012, 12:46
downtonfan
Forum Member

I only saw a clip, but Anne Hathaway should start writing her Oscar acceptance speech
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-12-2012, 12:51
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I've ordered the soundtrack (even if it is the highlights one) I just need to hear those songs in full

Does anyone know if the soundtrack is the songs taken directly from the movie (as performed live) or new studio recordings?
tracystapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 14:19
Mystical123
Forum Member

I thought Anne Hathaway had the Oscar in the bag before I even listened to the full IDAD, but if it can be that haunting in isolation, I can just imagine what it'll be like in the movie itself. I was one of those who wasn't convinced about her when I heard the casting (she sang Somebody to Love for another movie and i thought it was dire) but the girl done good, she really is impressive

Does anyone know if the soundtrack is the songs taken directly from the movie (as performed live) or new studio recordings?
It's exactly what was sung on set, they didn't do any studio recording.
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 14:49
dcb1986
Forum Member

I've always liked Anne Hathaway, but never really rated her as an actress. Between the Dark Knight Rises and what i have seen/heard of Les Mis, she has really surprised me and I do hope this is reflected in the upcoming awards ceremonies.
dcb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 15:35
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

I can't even. Oh my god Anne Hathaway is a goddess. Cannot stop listening to I Dreamed a Dream. Hurry up January 11th!!!
ImOnlyWee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 21:36
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I'm hoping my copy of the soundtrack arrives soon. Ordered from the dress circle
Old 28-12-2012, 17:53
shelleyj89
Forum Member

I can't wait 14 more days!!!
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 20:59
Verence
Forum Member

A clip of Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop of Digne

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/v2...nson-clip.html
Verence is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:12
jadebutterfly96
Forum Member

I just saw the movie this afternoon (in Australia). Absolutely blown away by it. I was not fully prepared by the "in your face" moments..despite what I've read about the critics lashing out on the close ups. I've got to be honest, IT WORKED.

This was how Tom Hooper made it different from the stage production. He literally jammed the characters emotions down your throat. Watching it from a small cinema, I felt like I was in the screen! I haven't cried in the cinema for a long time but wow, did I cry, and so did most of the people around me.

Please let Anne Hathaway win Best Supporting Actress. Period.
jadebutterfly96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 11:52
tracystapes
Inactive Member

Glad you enjoyed it jadebutterfly96

My copy of the soundtrack arrived this morning
Old 30-12-2012, 15:38
little-monster
Forum Member

I saw this while in the states for xmas

Stunning film. Truly stunning. If you love the theatre show, you shall love the film as it does it such justice

Anne Hathaway deserves an oscar. She is a revelation.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:30
Makson
Forum Member

Anne Hathaway is putting me right off this film
Can't stomach her at all. She should stick to her Princess Diary films.
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:15
tracystapes
Inactive Member

Only two were made and that was nearly ten years ago!

The girl has to move on!
Old 31-12-2012, 12:08
Mystical123
Forum Member

You do know that she's only in it for about 20 minutes, and the movie itself is 2.5 hours?

And that basically every review says she steals the show?

And that she did Princess Diaries 10 years ago, that they're Disney movies that didn't give anyone a chance to show off what they can do acting-wise, and that she was only a young, emerging actress then?

Give her a chance!

Maybe try putting aside your prejudices (I'm not a Russell Crowe fan but I'm going to see the movie anyway!) and you might enjoy it
Old 31-12-2012, 12:25
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Apparently its all singing for 2 and a half hours, rather than dialogue thrown in for good measure like Sweeney Todd, may give this a miss and wait for DVD.
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:57
tracystapes
Inactive Member

Apparently its all singing for 2 and a half hours, rather than dialogue thrown in for good measure like Sweeney Todd, may give this a miss and wait for DVD.
Well if you're not into musicals then yes probably wait for the DVD but to be fair, I can't really understand (and this is not directed at you btw ) why people are like "The film is so boring! all it was was singing!" (about musical films in general). Well yes, of course it was all singing as it's a musical

I hope Eponine (Samantha Barks) is in it for more than 20 minutes. Everyone is banging on about Anne Hathaway (who I do like) but I feel a lot of others are getting under looked because of this.
Old 31-12-2012, 13:21
Voynich
Forum Member

Thanks for the review, OP! I'm really looking forward to this. I love the idea of them "acting" as they sing it rather than being perfect but detached.
Voynich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 13:28
Mystical123
Forum Member

Well it is a musical. The stage production is 3 hours sung-through, so 2.5 hours is actually pretty good.

I'd be annoyed if it did have dialogue, it doesn't need to be 'thrown in for good measure'!

I hope Eponine (Samantha Barks) is in it for more than 20 minutes. Everyone is banging on about Anne Hathaway (who I do like) but I feel a lot of others are getting under looked because of this.
I can understand people banging on about Anne Hathaway as it sounds like she is the standout, but lots of reviews have had good things to say about Sam, Aaron Tveit and Eddie Redmayne as well.

As for the amount of screentime Eponine gets:

Spoiler

I'm hoping Anne, Sam and Eddie live up to expectations as they have my 3 favourite solos in the musical. I'm more worried about whether Hugh Jackman does a good Bring Him Home though, some reviews I've read didn't rate it at all...
Old 31-12-2012, 14:07
tracystapes
Inactive Member

Well it is a musical. The stage production is 3 hours sung-through, so 2.5 hours is actually pretty good.

I'd be annoyed if it did have dialogue, it doesn't need to be 'thrown in for good measure'!

I can understand people banging on about Anne Hathaway as it sounds like she is the standout, but lots of reviews have had good things to say about Sam, Aaron Tveit and Eddie Redmayne as well.

As for the amount of screentime Eponine gets:

Spoiler

I'm hoping Anne, Sam and Eddie live up to expectations as they have my 3 favourite solos in the musical. I'm more worried about whether Hugh Jackman does a good Bring Him Home though, some reviews I've read didn't rate it at all...
Thanks

Yeah I have the soundtrack and was a bit miffed that Eponine's solo 'On my Own' had the intro cut, however if you wasn't a 'Les Mis' fan or didn't know the song(s) so much, you wouldn't have known. On the soundtrack it goes straight into 'One Day More' too.

I'm guessing that Anne's 'I Dreamed A Dream' works much better on screen because on the soundtrack it's not really one you can enjoy as much as the others because she's crying (as they are direct rips from the movie).
Old 31-12-2012, 14:39
grimtales1
Forum Member

I can't even. Oh my god Anne Hathaway is a goddess. Cannot stop listening to I Dreamed a Dream. Hurry up January 11th!!!
I've only seen a small clip of her singing, Moon River in a Simpsons episode, it was lovely I wish she'd release a full version of that
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 16:36
little-monster
Forum Member

I love that the film is very much all singing. Evita is the same and that is another fav musical of mine.

Just goes to show, we don't need dialogue to tell us a story when singing is another way of delivering a message or a story anyway
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 17:08
Makson
Forum Member

I see "A Little Drop Of Rain" is missing from the soundtrack
They can't cut out Eponine's death scene
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 17:15
tracystapes
Inactive Member

I see "A Little Drop Of Rain" is missing from the soundtrack
They can't cut out Eponine's death scene
I think Eponine's death scene is in the movie, but they've cut the song from the soundtrack (the soundtrack is only 'highlights' unfortunately).
Old 31-12-2012, 17:52
chrono88
Forum Member

I saw the film this evening. And I was not sold to their vocal abilities at all (PARTICULARLY Russell Crowe's).

Many of the factory workers, prostitutes (and their customers), convicts, poor Parisians, student rebels and people in Thenardier's bar are played by Les Mis alumni and West End performers in general.

That might explain my first impression that the extras' vocals were much better than the leads'
chrono88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 18:12
grimtales1
Forum Member

I'm not that familliar with the musical, but Philip Quast from the show singing 'Stars' is f*cking amazing, I doubt Russell Crowe can beat that
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote