Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sky Box MAC address

Old 01-01-2013, 17:39
hdmog
Forum Member

Is there any way of discovering the MAC address for my Sky HD box. Doesn't seem to be under Network settings.
hdmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-01-2013, 17:55
chenks
Forum Member

your router should be able to tell you it.
it will list all connected devices.
chenks is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:58
hdmog
Forum Member

My router does indeed give me the MAC address for the device connected on the Sky box's IP address. However, my anti virus software is warning of a duplicate IP address in my network and so I'm trying to confirm that the Sky box has the MAC address I think it has. I guess the next thing is to pull the plug on the box and see what happens.
Old 01-01-2013, 21:17
simon194
Forum Member

My router does indeed give me the MAC address for the device connected on the Sky box's IP address. However, my anti virus software is warning of a duplicate IP address in my network and so I'm trying to confirm that the Sky box has the MAC address I think it has. I guess the next thing is to pull the plug on the box and see what happens.
If you have a duplicate IP address there must be something that has been assigned a static IP address that is within the DHCP address pool range.
simon194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:18
chenks
Forum Member

If you have a duplicate IP address there must be something that has been assigned a static IP address that is within the DHCP address pool range.
or the anti-virus is giving a false positive - which is probably more likely.
Old 01-01-2013, 21:21
Roush
Forum Member

Or a device not respecting DHCP lease expiry and continuing to use an expired IP address lease.
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43
hdmog
Forum Member

Not quite sure what is going on. I've had the same 5 devices connected to my router for more than a year, but it is only in the past week or so that I've been getting the warning. It's probably an update to the anti virus that has started it, but I'm just slightly concerned that my network may have been compromised.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45
chenks
Forum Member

Not quite sure what is going on. I've had the same 5 devices connected to my router for more than a year, but it is only in the past week or so that I've been getting the warning. It's probably an update to the anti virus that has started it, but I'm just slightly concerned that my network may have been compromised.
not even sure why your anti-virus would be monitoring duplicate IP address at all!

IP addresses are assigned and managed by your router, not your anti-virus.