Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BBC iPlayer

Old 04-12-2012, 15:16
connoisseur69uk
Forum Member

I have given up trying to use BBC iPlayer on my TiVo!

Over the last few weeks every time I try to watch a BBC programme on catch up using the iPlayer I am subject to continual "buffering" spoiling the programme!

I switch to my Xbox 360 and use iPlayer and have no problem!

Any one else having problems watching iPlayer with TiVo?
connoisseur69uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-12-2012, 18:27
Markynotts
Forum Member

Virgin have just launches iplayer through the red button. It loads with the current tv programme on screen and the most popular programmes appear as what i would describe as a sliding app at the bottom

Ive had problems with iplayer and I have just tried it and even the pause works
Markynotts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 16:14
cat666
Forum Member

We have the same issues. Tried to watch Pointless and had to restart the thing 3 times. No easy way to fast forward on Tivo either.
cat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 20:43
OLD BOY
Forum Member

We have the same issues. Tried to watch Pointless and had to restart the thing 3 times. No easy way to fast forward on Tivo either.
Well try the red button and see if it is better. Haven't had a chance to do this myself yet, the missus keeps watching her soaps.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10
roddydogs
Forum Member

Perennial problem known about for at leat 1 year, & still not fixed.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:46
stuntmaster
Forum Member

in all fairness this isn't anything to do with virgin.

The BBC wanted iplayer through the web. It's like that on all boxes bar the V+.

BBC make the app so blame them not VM.

if VM ahd their way, they would have put it in the on demand servers and ran it through catchup just like the V+ does it.
stuntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:55
roddydogs
Forum Member

Of course its to "Do" with Virgin, they are charging us, its up to them to to take this up with the Beeb, Surely they must be fed up with all the complaints.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27
sodafountain
Forum Member

Of course its to "Do" with Virgin, they are charging us, its up to them to to take this up with the Beeb, Surely they must be fed up with all the complaints.
Indeed, Sky have implemented BBC iPlayer perfectly, without using the standard BBC system with a web interface, maybe Virgin will be able to follow suit now, they can no longer blame the BBC.
sodafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34
Jez_Gafys
Forum Member

One big difference though that everyone seems to miss between tivo iplayer and every other service is the internet speed. Services like Xbox, Sky, wii etc etc all use your main line to connect to the internet and access such services. Tivo on the other hand has an upto 10mb dedicated line (yes can be taken to 20mb if vm warrant the need). Because we can't really speed test this line for all we know on average it could be running less than half that speed, especially during peak times making the line even unsuitable for things like youtube let alone hd iplayer.

In regards to Sky iplayer mentioned above this is still a web interface, my guess though is sky maybe paid more than VM to BBC to develop this bespoke solution.
Jez_Gafys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33
real world
Inactive Member

Indeed, Sky have implemented BBC iPlayer perfectly, without using the standard BBC system with a web interface, maybe Virgin will be able to follow suit now, they can no longer blame the BBC.
I thought VM and BBC worked closly together on I Player. This link suggests a new service that won't be available on Sky or are these 2 different things?

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bbc-conn...ivo-801500806/
real world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01
sodafountain
Forum Member

I thought VM and BBC worked closly together on I Player. This link suggests a new service that won't be available on Sky or are these 2 different things?

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bbc-conn...ivo-801500806/
Thats totally different.

On Sky, the BBC catchup is on the Sky servers, and does a progressive download of the program to the box's hard drive, so even if you have the slowest of slow internet speeds, you will still get the program in perfect quality, as it will just take longer to start playing, once it has downloaded enough to allow playback at standard speed with no buffering.

Of course, those on a faster broadband speed, get to play it quicker, some almost instantly, even with a HD program.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:03
sodafountain
Forum Member

In regards to Sky iplayer mentioned above this is still a web interface, my guess though is sky maybe paid more than VM to BBC to develop this bespoke solution.
The difference is, it's not the same as all the other BBC iPlayers (which the BBC used to insist on for everyone, they all had to look the same), and it uses Sky's progressive download system to the box, it does not stream, so everyone gets the best quality, whatever speed their internet.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02
BenMcr77
Forum Member

As far as I understand it, the BBC compromised with Sky in order to get the content onto the Sky box, as it can't (or Sky won't) do the full Connected Red Button app that the BBC want to use. The alternative was having catch up from all the other providers, and not the BBC.

As TiVo can support the full iPlayer / Connected Red Button experience that the BBC want to use going forward, then that is what TiVo uses.
BenMcr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44
roddydogs
Forum Member

Id rather have an I-Player that works properly (as in V+) than the "Red Button" that you can get anyway on freeview.
Old 07-01-2013, 18:12
martine93
Forum Member

I have just realized that BBC iplayer programmes no longer appear in "Search All TV" and " Search Up & On Demand ".

Anyone know the reason for this ?
martine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:39
sps1013
Forum Member

Do you have an example?
sps1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18
stuntmaster
Forum Member

One big difference though that everyone seems to miss between tivo iplayer and every other service is the internet speed. Services like Xbox, Sky, wii etc etc all use your main line to connect to the internet and access such services. Tivo on the other hand has an upto 10mb dedicated line (yes can be taken to 20mb if vm warrant the need). Because we can't really speed test this line for all we know on average it could be running less than half that speed, especially during peak times making the line even unsuitable for things like youtube let alone hd iplayer.

I agree, and ties in with point below.

As far as I understand it, the BBC compromised with Sky in order to get the content onto the Sky box, as it can't (or Sky won't) do the full Connected Red Button app that the BBC want to use. The alternative was having catch up from all the other providers, and not the BBC.

As TiVo can support the full iPlayer / Connected Red Button experience that the BBC want to use going forward, then that is what TiVo uses.

@everyone

I suspect sky stamped their foot down. "you want to be on here? use our way or the highway."

and so the BBC thought hmm all those extra viewers.... we are going to have to compromise. VM however probably didn't want to loose BBC iPlayer so went with the flow.

All versions except VM V+, and Sky run straight from the BBC web. that's the problem. The BBC need to stop with this silly demand and operate like the others. Connected red button will be good once fully done. Sky's loss there.
stuntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18
Calum Lawson
Forum Member

@everyone

I suspect sky stamped their foot down. "you want to be on here? use our way or the highway."

and so the BBC thought hmm all those extra viewers.... we are going to have to compromise. VM however probably didn't want to loose BBC iPlayer so went with the flow.

All versions except VM V+, and Sky run straight from the BBC web. that's the problem. The BBC need to stop with this silly demand and operate like the others. Connected red button will be good once fully done. Sky's loss there.
Connected Red Button (CRB) is the BBC's way forward for all devices that are internet enabled. I'd actually say rather than going along with it, VM identified that it would actually be better than anything that is currently possible now. Sky however don't appear to view it as so and to quote from the article here
Daniel Danker, general manager of BBC programmes and on demand at the BBC told us, "Sky is a closed platform I shouldn't even call it a platform, it's a closed service. There's no open platform to develop into. I have no line of sight of Connected Red Button coming to Sky unless they shift their approach."
I'd say it's more a case that Sky couldn't or wouldn't do anything to support CRB so they'll get only what's currently available to them and none of the future developments.

Sky's loss IMHO.
Calum Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49
sodafountain
Forum Member

@everyone

I will take quality other how you get the sevice anyday.

The problem with straming on Sky, or any other device through ADSL, is you are limited to your broadband speed (something VM doesn't have a problem with, as it is a direct connection via Fibre).

So even if you only have 2mb ADSL, you can still watch iPlayer on Sky in HD, simple as that really, it may take a while to download, but it is possible.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08
spj20016
Forum Member

I have found since bbc released the connected red button on tivo, bbc iplayer has worked perfectly. I have watched loads on there over christmas mainly in HD and I've no stuttering of the picture or any exiting from the program. Also it pauses and restarts without exiting back to menu. And if you press the forward arrow slowly between each press you can jump in 1 minute segments when fast forwarding so it is pretty easy to get to a certain part of the program. Now that the resume works with SD and HD programmes you can also leave and come back to where you left of earlier. I used to have all the problems like what most others have reported but now I can use bbc iplayer at any time (including peak time) with no problems.
spj20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:14
StargateNerd_24
Forum Member

Never had any problems with Iplayer other than the odd glitch.

Do Sky and VM get all the same content on their Iplayers or does one get less than the other?
StargateNerd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 19:23
martine93
Forum Member

Do you have an example?
The " Get From On Demand " option no longer appears on all current BBC programmes.
Do Sky and VM get all the same content on their Iplayers or does one get less than the other?
There is no Radio content on BBC iplayer on Sky.
martine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:15
mersey70
Forum Member

Never had any problems with Iplayer other than the odd glitch.

As Martine says there is no radio content from the iPlayer on Sky. One benefit is that the PQ on Sky is, in my opinion, vastly superior to what I have seen on Tivo, for example HD is 1080i and SD seems far better. The downside is some people have to wait a while for a download although I must say with a 11mb line even HD content is available in seconds.

It's a shame Sky have no plans for the full online BBC services but I guess that's a limitation of their tech.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 22:33
BenMcr77
Forum Member

I have just realized that BBC iplayer programmes no longer appear in "Search All TV" and " Search Up & On Demand ".

Anyone know the reason for this ?
The " Get From On Demand " option no longer appears on all current BBC programmes.
Hmm, I'll raise that tomorrow as I'm pretty sure it should still be working
Old 10-01-2013, 12:01
BenMcr77
Forum Member

Ok, it's definately an error and something that VM are already aware of and working to fix as soon as possible.