Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Looper - Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Old 26-10-2012, 18:44
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Enjoyed the film, but I didn't think it was as good as Inception or Source Code as far as modern "mainstream" sci-fi films go. The time travel paradoxes didn't bother me and I don't have a problem with the process being left suitably vague, but I had the same question as brangdon:

Seems like a pretty big oversight, unless it was answered in the film and I just missed it.
Murder cannot be committed in the future, people have trackers inside their brain (which will work for 2 years after death), this means the government will know when someone dies and who is nearby at the time, so they won't ever get away with it.
Spoiler

It was briefly mentioned in the film, but not thoroughly explained...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-10-2012, 00:23
Ghost World
Forum Member

Murder cannot be committed in the future, people have trackers inside their brain (which will work for 2 years after death), this means the government will know when someone dies and who is nearby at the time, so they won't ever get away with it.
Spoiler

It was briefly mentioned in the film, but not thoroughly explained...
I guess that makes sense. It wouldn't stop them breaking their arms and legs before sending them back, though.

I also just came across the theory that...

Spoiler

Which is interesting.
Ghost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

Was talking about this with somebody yesterday so I thought I'd see what the good people of DS had to say about it...

I can understand why there might be some difference of opinion but not the vast differences that I've seen.
Seems like most people on IMDB are giving it either 1/10 or 10/10.

Setting aside some of the huge (and I mean absol-f**king-lutely gigantic) plot-holes and contrivances in this film, I just can't understand why anybody thinks it's particularly good at all.

Just seems like a poor time-travel movie with unsympathetic characters and under-used actors and a rather 2nd-rate storyline.
I suppose if you were desperate for a half-decent sci-fi movie then it's acceptable in the same way that something like "In Time" or "Inception" is but I just can't understand why anybody would think it's the marvel of storytelling that some people seem to think it is.

I didn't know anything about this movie before I saw it and I forgot about it soon after seeing it so I had no idea there were such wildly differing opinions over it.
Makes me wonder if I was watching the same movie as all the people who're raving about it saw.
Si_Crewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Was talking about this with somebody yesterday so I thought I'd see what the good people of DS had to say about it...

I can understand why there might be some difference of opinion but not the vast differences that I've seen.
Seems like most people on IMDB are giving it either 1/10 or 10/10.

Setting aside some of the huge (and I mean absol-f**king-lutely gigantic) plot-holes and contrivances in this film, I just can't understand why anybody thinks it's particularly good at all.

Just seems like a poor time-travel movie with unsympathetic characters and under-used actors and a rather 2nd-rate storyline.
I suppose if you were desperate for a half-decent sci-fi movie then it's acceptable in the same way that something like "In Time" or "Inception" is but I just can't understand why anybody would think it's the marvel of storytelling that some people seem to think it is.

I didn't know anything about this movie before I saw it and I forgot about it soon after seeing it so I had no idea there were such wildly differing opinions over it.
Makes me wonder if I was watching the same movie as all the people who're raving about it saw.
I haven't come across any majorly unexplainable plot holes, but it's not designed as a time travel film,

And I don't really know how to respond, because I felt sympathetic towards the characters (maybe you're heartless? ) and engrossed by the storyline. The acting was brilliant, especially from Joseph Gordon Levitt (who more than made up for his lacklustre performance in TDKR) and Bruce Willis.

Lots of people liked Inception (I've never seen it), maybe you're just difficult? (That was mean, but seeing as you dislike two of the more mainstream recent critical successes within the sci-fi genre I had to ask...)

I don't think the movie was forgettable at all, maybe the plot line was, but the film asks more than enough questions and presents more than enough ideas to prompt debates.

But this is all subjective, so you'll probably disregard everything I say, making this all rather pointless....
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

I haven't come across any majorly unexplainable plot holes, but it's not designed as a time travel film,

And I don't really know how to respond, because I felt sympathetic towards the characters (maybe you're heartless? ) and engrossed by the storyline. The acting was brilliant, especially from Joseph Gordon Levitt (who more than made up for his lacklustre performance in TDKR) and Bruce Willis.

Lots of people liked Inception (I've never seen it), maybe you're just difficult? (That was mean, but seeing as you dislike two of the more mainstream recent critical successes within the sci-fi genre I had to ask...)

I don't think the movie was forgettable at all, maybe the plot line was, but the film asks more than enough questions and presents more than enough ideas to prompt debates.

But this is all subjective, so you'll probably disregard everything I say, making this all rather pointless....
I think most of the debate that it sparks is with regard to it's fundamentally flawed storyline.

As I say, though, mostly I just wanted to comment on the fact that it seems to split opinion so sharply.
For me it was just another run-of-the-mill, quirky sci-fi movie and I'm surprised so maybe people are saying that it's worthy of 10/10 scores or 1/10 scores.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55
Rorschach
Forum Member

Well the thing is, they had some pretty cool bikes in it. The kind of things I would imagine to exist at that time. But the cars looked awful. Bad solar panels on them with wires everywhere.

Just seemed so strange.

And I don't mind that they didn't use CGI, but if you're setting a film in the future, you need it to look like the future. And I appreciate that they wanted it to look like an Armageddon of a recession had hit, but companies are still going to be innovative.
But when a new way of building houses is created they don't go round and bulldoze all older houses, nor do they scrap all cars when a new design comes out.

People today drive car that are decades old (they call them classic) and some park their cars outside houses that are centuries old. Particularly farm houses.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:01
Si_Crewe
Forum Member

But when a new way of building houses is created they don't go round and bulldoze all older houses, nor do they scrap all cars when a new design comes out.

People today drive car that are decades old (they call them classic) and some park their cars outside houses that are centuries old. Particularly farm houses.
Must say, the overall technology of the film seemed like one of the more plausible aspects of it to me.

It's supposed to be a dystopian future with extremes of wealth and poverty so it's hardly surprising that there's a mixture of fancy cars that look like evolutions of current vehicles along with current vehicles.

Ironically enough, I thought the rocket-bikes were a bit silly though.
If you're going to use some kind of a whizzy newly-invented hover-engine-thing to build a motorbike, why would you then go and bolt a bunch of crappy old parts from a clapped-out commuter bike to it?
Surely the people able to afford the spangly new hover-bike engines (either manufacturers or customers) could also afford to fit them with more modern parts as well?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:01
Rorschach
Forum Member

Spoiler
I'm very late to the party I know but...

Spoiler
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:49
bgtension
Inactive Member

Very disappointed with the ending.
bgtension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:41
beatrice39
Forum Member

Thought it was a boring film. I dunno why but everything felt so laboured and dull.
beatrice39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:25
brangdon
Forum Member

There was a lot I liked about it. I did like the depiction of the dystopian future. That the main character starts off selfish and unlikeable but ends up being self-sacrificing is the nature of a character arc. That he yearned after a prostitute who didn't reciprocate, was the kind of detail that added realism. I liked how the TK was introduced and developed.

Most of the things I didn't like were stated early as part of the set-up, so they get a bye on that. The approach to time travel is unusual but not incoherent.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:21
Asmo
Forum Member

The plot seemed over-egged to me. The introduction of 'telekenesis' was really unnecessary and ultimately a distraction, like throwing Yetis and Mermaids into 'Close Encounters of the third kind' or having Unicorns in Jaws.
Asmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04
shoestring25
Forum Member

i found it boring i cant see what all the fuss was about nothing revolutionary

5/10
shoestring25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34
Lojen
Forum Member

I liked it. Like most time travel movies you can pick holes if you really want to, but it more or less made sense and kept me interested and entertained throughout. 8/10.
Lojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:43
Takae
Forum Member

The plot seemed over-egged to me. The introduction of 'telekenesis' was really unnecessary and ultimately a distraction, like throwing Yetis and Mermaids into 'Close Encounters of the third kind' or having Unicorns in Jaws.
I didn't think much of Looper (felt it was a feature-length Outer Limits episode), but when the mother locked herself in a safe just after the boy started throwing a tantrum, I thought
Spoiler
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:15
007Fusion
Forum Member

I didn't think much of Looper (felt it was a feature-length Outer Limits episode), but when the mother locked herself in a safe just after the boy started throwing a tantrum, I thought
Spoiler
I think it was purposely supposed to be an after thought. Old Joe wasn't really trying to save the future, as he only felt compelled to act once his life was contravened by the presense of the Rainmaker.
007Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:33
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Spoiler
There's a brief shot of a Chinese news broadcast that implies the Rainmaker has caused an
Spoiler
Old 29-01-2013, 13:42
geordielady
Forum Member

Am I the only one who thought this was total garbage, what a long boring 2 hours.
geordielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 13:59
Bluray
Inactive Member

Am I the only one who thought this was total garbage, what a long boring 2 hours.
Probably not the only one but definitely in the minority as it was very well recieved and became a big hit.

I loved it and can't wait to see it agan.

You can pick holes in the time-travel stuff but you can in Back To The Future too. Amusues me when people expect time-travel stories to be "realistic and accurate" - how would we know? Has anyone ever travelled in time?
Bluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:32
shoestring25
Forum Member

i wouldnt say it hated it but it was boring wont bother to watch it again 5/10 for me
shoestring25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:44
RecordPlayer
Forum Member

I started to like half way through, but there was a flaw in the ending.
RecordPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 00:46
porshacat
Forum Member

Spoiler

I was amazed by the number of confused people commenting coming out of the cinema. It was not that complicated. If films like this and Inception had the basic level of complexity and brain-engagment for Holywood films I would be happy.
You will be very happy with a film called :- Primer (2004) now out on DVD. More than " the basic level of complexity and brain-engagment". Invoving time travel
porshacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 02:05
Fio Montoya
Forum Member

I just want to know what the hell happened to Jospeh's face. I'm hoping they just tried to make him look more like Brucey.
Fio Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 09:51
mdt1988
Forum Member

Watched this for the first time recently, a little bit confusing and they skipped any science which didn't help. Average!
mdt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:43
The Terminator
Inactive Member

You will be very happy with a film called :- Primer (2004) now out on DVD. More than " the basic level of complexity and brain-engagment". Invoving time travel
As a depiction of time travel it is very interesting. As a movie that ought to offer compelling story and characters, however, it falls far short.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote